Photo

best type of hamster?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 water208

water208

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:09 AM

WHat is the best type of hamster to get? :hypnotized: I'm thinking about another panda bear, but maybe i should get a cream or a Russian dwarf.....Idk wich though! I don't want to make the mistake of getting a mean hammy :shocked: I know they all are different it's just, u know. . . . :wave:

#2 daisylynn

daisylynn

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:35 AM

I would suggest a teddy bear or any type syrian hamster, they are easier to hand tame easier to hold on to. dwarf hamsters are a bit harder to hand time and easier to drop because they are fast and small. Though since they are smaller, their bite hurts less. All hamsters are different as the opinon that you get when you ask "which hamster is best to get".
Anyway, good luck and I hope you choose the best one for you.

#3 Dwarf Hamster

Dwarf Hamster

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:53 AM

I would suggest getting a Syrian hamster because they are generally good natured, and are prabably the tamest of all hamsters. They do come in a veriety of colors and patterns which is really nice. Don't forget, Syrians are one of the most popular breed. They are one of the most tamest hamsters and they are probably the best of you just want to cuddle it like a little teddy bear. The only thing is you have to only have one in each cage!

Russian dwarf hamsters was actually my first pet. It wasn't one of my best moments, but it was a start. They are very lively and can live in pairs or groups of the same sex. They appear to be to be much more prone to bite than the other hamsters and are very territorial. Russian dwarf hamsters are the most popular pets in pet stores, so they are very common. Winter ehites are just about the same as russians, but you should never breed russians and winter whites breed because it will create a hybrid. Most hybrids have mutations and defects and don't live as long because of this. I heard people say Winter Whites are much more calmer and tamer than russians.

Roborovskis are the smallest breed of hamster and only reach 2 inches in length when they reach adulthood. Unlike other dwarf species, their legs are much shorter and have no dorsal stripe. They are probably the hardest to handle because of their skittish nature. The downside about this species? They only come in one color. The top coat is sandy brown with a gray undercoat, the belly and sides are pure to rusty white.They have large eyes with white facial markings which make them look like they have eyebrows. They are also very difficult to keep in wire cages becuase of there size.

The chinese hamster is the most diffuclt to raise and breed in captivity. Just like syrians, they should be housed by themselves to avoid problems and fights. People say that chinese hamsters are "rat-like" becuase of their short nose, thin body, stocky legs and long tail. WARNING: Some places bann this breed! You should check with the Fish and Wildlife Department to see if it is ok to keep them as pets!

There is really no mean hamster if you treat them with love and respect. Getting one from a breeder is probably the best way to get a good natured hamster. Pet stores is another option. Pet stores have a wide array of different spcies to choose from. It is really your choice! If you need more info, just send me a message! I hope I helped you make a good descision on your next hammie (or first)! :thumbsup:

Edited by Dwarf Hamster, 14 April 2009 - 03:18 AM.

#4 natalie11

natalie11

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:39 AM

Well there is no "best type of hamster." They are all great, just depends on what you're looking for in a pet. Here's some info on different breeds:
SYRIAN HAMSTERS: They are often called bear hamsters. They are the most layed back hamsters and easiest to tame. They need to be housed alone!
ROBOROVSKI HAMSTER: The fastest and tiniest (and probably cutest!) hamster. Not good for "cuddling" and more for watching. They are hard to tame and need to run in a hamster ball for about 30 mins. to 1 hour every day.
CHINESE HAMSTERS: In the USA they are illegal in some states (why? I have no idea!). They have long bodies and long tails for a hamster. They are the rarest hamster. They should be housed alone unless they are from the same litter and have known each other since birth. If they start fighting they need to be separated IMMEDIATELY.
So sorry I don't know much about Winter Whites and Russians!

#5 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:07 AM

There is a thread about this already, pinned at the top of this section.

Most people agree that syrians are usually best for new-time owners but some swear that dwarfs are best. If you go for dwarfs I would recommend either Russian Campbell Dwarfs or Winter White Dwarfs. Check through the pinned thread for more information. Each hamster is different though, not every hamster of a certain species is going to be the same. ;)

Also there are only five domesticated species of hamsters. Including: Syrians, Russian Campbell Dwarfs, Winter White Dwarfs, Roborovski Dwarfs and Chinese Dwarfs.

Though since they are smaller, their bite hurts less.

That isn't true. When dwarfs bite, they bite way harder then any syrian could ever hope to. :P

#6 lilmariah

lilmariah

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:53 PM

About dwarfs biting hurting less ....

That isn't true. When dwarfs bite, they bite way harder then any syrian could ever hope to. :P

Thanks! You've just toally put me off ever getting dwarfs lol. Only joking. Am considering it *X*

#7 Sparklebells

Sparklebells

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:16 AM

I recommend Teddy Bear Syrians. They are by far the best easy-to-tame hamsters I know of. I own one; his name is Hammy. :mouse: :lovestruck:

#8 bibbju

bibbju

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:58 PM

Rather than trying to work out which hamster is "least mean" (as has already been said, there are no mean hamsters - only hamsters that are scared or have been badly treated), it makes more sense to describe your lifestyle i.e. amount of time you have available to spend with a hamster, when you go to bed, etc etc so this information can be used to work out which species is most compatible with your lifestyle.