Photo

How often do we need to clean the hamster cage?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 JunMing34

JunMing34

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:59 PM

How often do we need to clean our hamster cage?After seeing many guide on cleaning the hamster cages, I'm still a little confuse bout cleaning the hamster cage. somone of them said that u can clean the cage monthly and weekly, but if monthly won't the cage smell? and if weekly won't it be a bit too soon for the hamster to build its nest up from scratch again from the previous cleaning?

#2 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:28 PM

Well it depends on the hamster, some are messier then others. I clean most of my cages every other week but for the messier hamsters I clean it every week. Just keep some of the bedding and food from their old nest and put it in the new, clean one so they don't get too upset over it. ;)

#3 CocoBaby

CocoBaby

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:21 AM

i personally think pick one day a week where you spend time cleaning their cage

but if it don't smell by that day try every other week

#4 PoptartShop

PoptartShop

Angelic Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 12,115 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:52 AM

I clean my hamster's cages once a week. It depends on the size of the cage though- if you have a super large cage, you may not need to clean it as often (however, don't go crazy & go 2wks without cleaning it)- but every week, or every other week depending on the cage should be fine. :) I clean every week though.

#5 FlowerChild

FlowerChild

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:53 AM

I clean my hammies cages once a week, just because they really start to smell.... :S

#6 kimtekz

kimtekz

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:46 AM

lol I clean mine every once a month or every 3-4 weeks since I have a huge crib for mine.

#7 JunMing34

JunMing34

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:20 PM

Thx guys for the replies!!! :veryhappy: But wad bout every day? wad do we need to do every day/night. I have read somewhere that you need to take out the beddings every day and put in fresh ones. If we do that every day, would'nt we need to clean the cage monthly or weekly? I clean my whole cage(including the food bowl and furni etc.) and change the bedding every sat or sunday but i did not clean it monthly.
I'm sry that i sound exxggerating a bit ;D

#8 kimtekz

kimtekz

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:30 PM

if you try to clean the cage everyday have fun spending a lot cash every month.

#9 nicolapompicola

nicolapompicola

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:33 PM

What they mean when they say that is to take out any wet bedding, like where they've peed, and replace it with fresh.

#10 JunMing34

JunMing34

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:52 PM

so do you all always replace wet beddings 1 to 2 days a week?

#11 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,985 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:49 AM

well, for my arrangement, it depends where the hamster chooses to pee. i have some dwarfs
who use their sandbox; and since i use the crittertrail 3s with the
bedroom on top, a few of mine think the long tube from the top bedroom leading down to the
bottom is some kind of toilet! so pee collects at the bottom of that tube.

with the sandbox, i clean that and replace with fresh sand every week. if i currently had any
who peed in their nests, i'd remove the wet nest bedding every day and replace. the reason
for this is because the pee causes ammonia burn, which makes them drop fur on the sides
where they lie in the pee.

for the long tube, i clean that every couple of days.

i clean the whole crittertrail out every 2-3 weeks.

#12 JunMing34

JunMing34

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:06 PM

thx pixy!!! Now i know why my hamster drop furs on his side now. I did not know that hamster pee could also caused harm. I have think bout it, if i put myself in the hamster paws, won't i hate to live with my own pee everyday. I would change the bedding whenever its soiled now :yes:

#13 lilmariah

lilmariah

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:51 PM

I heard the more you clean out the hamster cage, the more that it will smell. I don't know how true this is though. I've had my hamster nearly a month and I've clened him out once so far. When you walk into the room, you can really smell him *X*

#14 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,985 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:08 AM

thx pixy!!! Now i know why my hamster drop furs on his side now. I did not know that hamster pee could also caused harm. I have think bout it, if i put myself in the hamster paws, won't i hate to live with my own pee everyday. I would change the bedding whenever its soiled now :yes:

how old are your dwarfs? it sounds like they may pee a lot in their nests~~
is there a possibility they may have diabetes? you'd notice them drinking
a lot, too.

#15 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,985 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:10 AM

I heard the more you clean out the hamster cage, the more that it will smell. I don't know how true this is though. I've had my hamster nearly a month and I've clened him out once so far. When you walk into the room, you can really smell him *X*

no, this isn't true. depending on the gender and type of hamster you have, you can
smell different things.

female syrians go into heat every so often, and during that time they have a strong
smell to them.

my male dwarfs have a very strong "popcorn" smell to them that i find entirely
pleasing!

my female dwarfs never have an odor i can detect.

the male syrian i had never really "smelled" bad; i guess i could smell his fur a
bit but only when i held him.

are you smelling hamster or pee?