Photo

Illegal to bury Animals in Public Places (Singapore)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 kisetsu

kisetsu

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:28 PM

This was taken from today's local news. I am just so wondering how humane it is, to put our own dead pets in an opaque plastic bag and dump them at a nearby rubbish bin. Or alternatively spend lotsa $$ to cremate the pets.

I've been burying my hamsters somewhere near my place but seems like I have done illegal things under the eyes of law. But wouldn't it be ridiculous that for such a small hamster to cremated instead of finding somewhere that I can lay them to rest which I can also visit? :no:

Posted Image

Just a thot. :sarcastic:

#2 cookie.monster

cookie.monster

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:22 AM

I don't live in Singapore, but yes I do agree that putting your hamster in a plastic bag and disposing it (or getting it cremated) is wrong and quite cruel. I understand that they wouldn't want you to bury your hamster in a public place, but throwing it away? That's just wrong. I would never throw my hamster's body away! I'd bury him/her in my backyard, where they can't tell me what to do because it's MY property. I paid for it and the law can't tell me that I can't make a grave for my hamster there. Also, this belongs in Singapore Hamster News section. :) Thank you for sharing this and your thoughts.

#3 Plooshie

Plooshie

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:50 AM

I can understand the reasons behind the ruling but don't see anything wrong with burying small animals, as long as the hole is dug deep enough and covered up properly to prevent stench or scavengers. It beats dumping your pet's body into a plastic bag like trash and cremating such a small creature like a hamster is truly ridiculous..

#4 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:13 PM

I can't bring myself to dispose of them in bins n chutes too :( I notice that the cost of cremation at Mt Pleasant has recently more than doubled. If I don't remember wrongly, Neko's cremation this year cost like S$60 :(

#5 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,979 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:08 AM

i don't think many of the non-s'pore HH members understand how very limited the access is to parks, woods, shoreline, etc. in singapore, which i'm sure contributes to this law.

i could never get rid of any of my bbs as though they were a piece of trash. even though i understand they no longer are that little body anymore~~ that they've moved on to the next stage of their existence~~ i still respect what i have left. i'm so very lucky that i have a yard with a garden, where i've buried all my hamsters (with the exception of 2: at the time we lived in a place where we couldn't use the yard and so jubJub was buried at the ocean shoreline and timbale was buried in a favorite forest).

each spring as the flowers begin showing their leaves and colors, it reminds me of my babies and how their lives now have transformed into a different energy, one i can still feel all around me. :rose:

Edited by missPixy, 16 March 2009 - 01:12 AM.

#6 fairywind5

fairywind5

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:21 PM

I can't bring myself to dispose of them in bins n chutes too :( I notice that the cost of cremation at Mt Pleasant has recently more than doubled. If I don't remember wrongly, Neko's cremation this year cost like S$60 :(

What!!! The cost of cremation is $60!? I have two hammies at home. I am scared that when my hammie(s) die, my mother would find cremation too expensive and throw them in the rubbish bin. :crybuckets:

#7 genesisway

genesisway

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:21 AM

Hamster cremation at the animal clinic pte ltd cost only S$10.70.

#8 Furkies

Furkies

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,220 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:38 PM

I don't live in Singapore, but yes I do agree that putting your hamster in a plastic bag and disposing it (or getting it cremated) is wrong and quite cruel. I understand that they wouldn't want you to bury your hamster in a public place, but throwing it away? That's just wrong. I would never throw my hamster's body away! I'd bury him/her in my backyard, where they can't tell me what to do because it's MY property. I paid for it and the law can't tell me that I can't make a grave for my hamster there. Also, this belongs in Singapore Hamster News section. :) Thank you for sharing this and your thoughts.

FIRST, we don't have a backyard like you guys do.
SECOND, take a look at the map and the size of Singapore.

We've got limited choices, and parents here can't be bothered spending money for cremation of small animals, you can't expect much .

#9 Sotong8

Sotong8

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:09 PM

Hamster cremation at the animal clinic pte ltd cost only S$10.70.

Is this the latest update?
Fm what i check late last yr or early this year.
The cheapest by Mt Pleasant was $20plus..tat is provided you just wan cremate ur pet and not bring the ashes hm.
If u choose to bring it home in a simple plain urn..it will cost like $50-60.

Other private companies charges about $120.

Though I know is illegal to bury in public places in SG..but it beats the tot of dumping as part of the rubbish.
After all it is also a living thing..i believe in proper send off if u got the means to.

#10 genesisway

genesisway

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:14 PM

Yes it is the latest & the price remains the same for the last few yrs.
I've chosen to cremate my ham via the animal clinic for a few yrs now.
And the last time I engaged in this service was last month for my beloved Jumbo.

I did a check online as well & I'm surprised that companies charge so much.

Is this the latest update?
Fm what i check late last yr or early this year.
The cheapest by Mt Pleasant was $20plus..tat is provided you just wan cremate ur pet and not bring the ashes hm.
If u choose to bring it home in a simple plain urn..it will cost like $50-60.

Other private companies charges about $120.

Though I know is illegal to bury in public places in SG..but it beats the tot of dumping as part of the rubbish.
After all it is also a living thing..i believe in proper send off if u got the means to.

#11 melodyntacky

melodyntacky

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:07 PM

it is not really too good to dump dead hamester into the chute, but frankly speaking (n sorry to say that) not everyone have the means or is that rich to afford the $$ esp. some "parents" due to various reasons. In some cases it is already a hard thing to get them to purchase a hamester for you & not even to mention taking sick hamesters to vet or to cremate them. (Already felt very glad, they didn't force you to discard the hamester when it gets very sick.)

Sorry to say that, but for poor pple like me had no choice but to discard my hammies' bodies into the chute when they are dead.

I would put the body into tissue box(coffin), lay some tissues in the box, put the body in, cover it with a tissue, cover up with the cut side of the tissue box. Then writing down my hamester's name, date of birth, death, stick onto the top then sealed up the box with adhensive tape, pray a little for it. Wrap in a bag n put in the chute. (Treating it as the cremation furnace). That's the best I can do sign..... ...

#12 leann111

leann111

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:45 AM

how can they do that!! hamsters are not as powerful as humans are but they are living things and they have feelings. :irked: this stinks even though im not living in singapore.... i want them to have a proper burrial. (ok now i dont feel very good)

#13 Sotong8

Sotong8

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:30 PM

it is not really too good to dump dead hamester into the chute, but frankly speaking (n sorry to say that) not everyone have the means or is that rich to afford the $$ esp. some "parents" due to various reasons. In some cases it is already a hard thing to get them to purchase a hamester for you & not even to mention taking sick hamesters to vet or to cremate them. (Already felt very glad, they didn't force you to discard the hamester when it gets very sick.)

Sorry to say that, but for poor pple like me had no choice but to discard my hammies' bodies into the chute when they are dead.

I would put the body into tissue box(coffin), lay some tissues in the box, put the body in, cover it with a tissue, cover up with the cut side of the tissue box. Then writing down my hamester's name, date of birth, death, stick onto the top then sealed up the box with adhensive tape, pray a little for it. Wrap in a bag n put in the chute. (Treating it as the cremation furnace). That's the best I can do sign..... ...

Ya..understand what you mean..is not easy to get cremation done esp with limited pocket allowance or parental objection to pet keeping. As long as when it was alive.,..it lead a meaningful and happy life with U.. i guess that matter most! :)

#14 Sotong8

Sotong8

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:32 PM

how can they do that!! hamsters are not as powerful as humans are but they are living things and they have feelings. :irked: this stinks even though im not living in singapore.... i want them to have a proper burrial. (ok now i dont feel very good)

:) u know lor..SG limited land..we no garden to bury it and burying in parks and such is illegal. Cremation also very expensive and the cheaper one require u to bring down to the location during office hours only. sometimes for some...really no choice de...

#15 tinkywinky

tinkywinky

Baby Hamster

• 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 04:46 PM

I agree...a difficult situation to be in...