Photo

Milk/water droplets ;D

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 polkad0t

polkad0t

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:38 AM

I've jumped onto the water/milk droplet bandwagon :D These are really fun to take, but require soo much patience. I took a total of about 300 photos and only a handful came out nice and sharp:

Posted Image
Milk is thicker than water, so it's slower and easier to photograph.

Posted Image
Water falling from my kitchen faucet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

These are so fun. If anyone wants any pointers, I'll be more than happy to help :D

#2 -- Hamstergirl

-- Hamstergirl

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:42 AM

Holy cow, those are more then amazing! Lovely detail in each shot, you are a wonderful photography. :) Also if you do have a few pointers, I'd love to hear a few. :D

Edited by Hamstergirl98, 22 February 2009 - 07:43 AM.

#3 Marisa

Marisa

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:46 AM

Oh Mai Gawd o-o
Those are amazing.
Pointers would be helpful. xD
They are so...clear o-o

#4 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:07 AM

POINTERS NAO. xD

Curse you people and your fancy macro...I have no idea where my dad put his for our camera D:

I love the 3rd picture n_n

#5 polkad0t

polkad0t

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:45 AM

D'aw, you guys are too nice :lovestruck: I actually don't have macro lens, but I'm working on convincing the 'rents to buy them for me :D

Anyways, a lot of people on flickr and this photo forum have really fancy setups, complete with timed droppers, studio lights, etc. I did this with my friend when she came over [no school for the past week] and our setup was reallyyyy simple. We basically had a chair, two desklamps, and a martini glass filled with water. The "backdrop" was a bunch of notecards taped to 2 pieces of construction paper.

Posted Image
I hope this pic is OK, since it doesn't show her face ;D

Anyway, you can take these pics alone if you have a tripod, but even if you do, it's way easier with two people. The dropper was vertically held in the water in a spot where the droplets were aimed and camera was manually focused. After that, I held the camera at that angle while my friend dripped the water. I used the built in flash and just shot 500million pics :D This takes a tonn of patience and is really tiring :faint:

Some things that I noticed about the droplets:
• The shallower the water, the wider the splash. If you just have a thin layer of water, you get crowns. The deeper the water, the rounder the drops.
• They come out better if the water is dropped from a higher point.
• What you choose to hold your water affects your pictures. I like using glass, just cause it looks better, but colored bowls work nicely. Also try finding a bowl/dish with a thin rim, because thick rings look weird.
• Shoot with a colored background, so you can easily edit the pics and change the color of your droplets if you're using a colored liquid.

Good luck, everyone :D LMK if you have any questions. I'm looking forward to seeing your outcomes!

BTW, although this is easier with a DSLR, I've tried this with my plain old point-and-shoot, and some pics came out nciely. The timing is just different ;D

Edited by polkad0t, 22 February 2009 - 08:50 AM.

#6 Ospray

Ospray

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:07 AM

Wow, really nice pictures! I love the ones with the colour. I may have to spend a free afternoon trying this one day.

#7 fufiche

fufiche

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:19 PM

:D Beautiful! :heartbeat:
You and your friend did a great job! :)
Such a great idea for people that don't own a fancy camera (i.e. myself! :P ).
Thanks for sharing. :)

#8 Supermunchie

Supermunchie

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:51 PM

Holy cheese! Those are fantastic! :D

#9 Chocolate Rainbows

Chocolate Rainbows

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:27 PM

Wow those are hawttt.
I remember someone taking a video and using one of the stills as the final picture, though videos are sometimes badder quality.
I love the third one :)

#10 smile2374

smile2374

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:59 AM

Wow, these are awesome. I love the third one especially, I like how it's somewhat symmetrical and how the water drop's colors is divided into 4.

#11 Kirbi

Kirbi

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:54 AM

AWESOME!! Do you have a DA?? (DeviantART)