Allergic to hamsters???
Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:40 AM
Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:13 AM
If not, then how long have you had your hamsters for?
You say you've been using Carefresh for a month, so I take it you've owned your hamsters for atleast that long, and however long before that.
So it's hard to say; signs of allergies are noticeable pretty well right away.
Maybe you're just becoming irritated by something else, but definately keep an eye open for any symptoms other than not being able to be in your room.
I can't say much from what you've said, but it's a possibility.
Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:26 AM
Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:30 AM
Actually, I'm allergic to ALL animal dander, but hammies affect me the least. Still, ever since I got my first hammie a year ago, I've been running around with a permanently stuffed nose. To keep the allergies somewhat under control, I have to keep the hammies in a different room than mine, and I have to air that room out at least once a day.
Is it possible for you to keep your hammies in a different room than your own? Also, there is over-the-counter allergy medication that you can take too ... but that's usually not good for every day usage.
Edited by rhapsody, 06 February 2009 - 02:40 PM.
Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:47 AM
Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:55 AM
Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:26 AM
turn on the thermostat in your room, but the rest of the house has the heat on?
actually, when it comes to hamsters most people are allergic to their urine, instead of
the hamsters themselves. and in the winter, when the windows are closed and the
heat is turned on (except in your room ) this will make the urine allergy stronger.
so i'm not surprised you've noticed it more over the past couple of months.
where do your hamsters pee? do they have a sandbox?
Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:59 AM
I am sorry about the allergies though I hope you won't have to give them up!
Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:21 AM
Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:53 PM
Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:51 PM
Hope you get better!
Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:44 PM
Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:59 PM
I took the hamsters of the room and everything returned to normal ..
The problem is that here in Portugal there are very few things that you can use for bedding, you either have those http://petfoodwarehouse.co.uk/browse_245 but I think it can be toxic to them right? or these wich I currently use 'green apple chips' http://petfoodwarehouse.co.uk/browse_263 but people say that because of their smell it can cause allergies to people and hamsters, but I can also get those with no green apple scent.
From those two wich one is better avoid allergies and best for hamsters?