Photo

Allergic to hamsters???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bea

Bea

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:40 AM

**sigh** I've been using CareFresh for almost a month now because I was supposedly allergic to aspen shavings. Well, my allergies still haven't gone away, even after we moved, so there is no aspen anywhere in my house. Everything was washed extremely thoroughly after we got rid of the shavings too. But like I said, the allergies are still there. And it's something that's in my room and nowhere else too, because that's where it gets the worst. Which means it has something to do with the hamsters. It's gone so far that I can't comfortably be in my room anymore, and I can't sleep there. I've been sleeping on the couch downstairs. Is there a possibility that I'm allergic to the hamsters themselves? I've only heard of people being allergic to the bedding, never the hamster. I really hope it isn't but it seems to be the only thing that makes sense right now.

#2 Lucas

Lucas

Ninja Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:13 AM

Have you owned hamsters before your previous ones?

If not, then how long have you had your hamsters for?
You say you've been using Carefresh for a month, so I take it you've owned your hamsters for atleast that long, and however long before that.
So it's hard to say; signs of allergies are noticeable pretty well right away.

Maybe you're just becoming irritated by something else, but definately keep an eye open for any symptoms other than not being able to be in your room.
I can't say much from what you've said, but it's a possibility.

#3 Bea

Bea

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:26 AM

I've had hamsters since March of 2008. But I only started to show allergy symptoms for like, two or three months. I was just looking at what I wrote and I noticed I only said I wasn't able to be in my room, which I apologize for, it doesn't really tell you guys anything. I get a nasty cough and a stuffy nose, start to sneeze, and sometimes I'll get a little bit dizzy. It doesn't do much to my ability to breathe really. If the cages need cleaning it gets worse and I get a headache. I've had one hamster before the others that I don't have now. Most of them are my original ones.

#4 rhapsody

rhapsody

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:30 AM

Erk, I'm allergic to hamsters ... and yes, I'm a mommy to 7 of them. :duh:

Actually, I'm allergic to ALL animal dander, but hammies affect me the least. Still, ever since I got my first hammie a year ago, I've been running around with a permanently stuffed nose. To keep the allergies somewhat under control, I have to keep the hammies in a different room than mine, and I have to air that room out at least once a day.

Is it possible for you to keep your hammies in a different room than your own? Also, there is over-the-counter allergy medication that you can take too ... but that's usually not good for every day usage.

Edited by rhapsody, 06 February 2009 - 02:40 PM.

#5 Bea

Bea

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:47 AM

I wish there was a way to keep them out of my room. But my parents say that keeping them anywhere but my room is an absolute no, even if I was allergic to them. They said if I was to develop allergies and they got out of control I would have to get rid of the hamsters. Which I can't and wont do because I have a very close bind with each of them and they mean the world to me. I would never forgive myself if I gave them away. And I really don't think it's a great idea for me to be taking stuff for allergies all the time. I've actually been stupid and never thought to air out the room. The tiny thing always has the windows closed, I guess I should have thought of that. Although the heating is never turned on and it would be pretty cold, especially now in the winter. In the summer the windows are always open though. I'll air out the room for a while and see if I can stay there for longer than usual. And yes, I can turn the heating on I just don't like to for whatever reason. Saves energy and stops global warming anyways so I just don't.

#6 Rachiella

Rachiella

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:55 AM

Good luck! :) But...Will the hamsters get cold? Maybe you can like, put towels or something around the cage? Or turn on the heater...Idk XD

#7 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,984 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:26 AM

you never turn on the heat? what's the temperature in your room? or do you just not
turn on the thermostat in your room, but the rest of the house has the heat on?

actually, when it comes to hamsters most people are allergic to their urine, instead of
the hamsters themselves. and in the winter, when the windows are closed and the
heat is turned on (except in your room :cold: ) this will make the urine allergy stronger.
so i'm not surprised you've noticed it more over the past couple of months.

where do your hamsters pee? do they have a sandbox?

#8 Ilorin

Ilorin

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:59 AM

My room is a little cold (I sleep better that way) and I am a little paranoid about them getting sick and they are kinda close to the window (no other options) So I insulate their cage with blankets and change them around every now and again because the cold seeps through the blanket. (I love in upstate new york where it is an ice block this time of year) and they seem to be doing fine, they haven't gone into any sort of hibernating cycle or anything.

I am sorry about the allergies though I hope you won't have to give them up!

#9 Bea

Bea

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:21 AM

No just my room doesn't have the heat on, the rest of the house does. It's always about 75*F in my room. And I'll be sure to turn on the heat after I open the window. Edward and Bella are both litter trained and use a jar for their bathroom. And Nikki and Skittles are littler trained to a certain extent, they'll go in their nest and their sandbox. None of my hamsters have ever hibernated so it must be okay for them.

#10 Lillias

Lillias

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:53 PM

Try getting a small air filtration device for your room. Whether or not the hamsters are the issue, it should help your allergies.

#11 miss_tuneful

miss_tuneful

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:51 PM

also, change the litterboxes, or the soiled bedding more often, if you don't do it every day already. I know people who change the litterbox twice, thrice a day. ^^'

Hope you get better!

#12 Bea

Bea

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:44 PM

I clean their litter box once a day. I had to go to the doctor's today because I've got pink eye...my eyes are a lovely shade of BRIGHT RED, so yeah. She asked me if there was anything I might be allergic to because it's something I get a lot. So I told her everything I could possibly be allergic to. She said there was a good chance that by the amount of hamsters I have I AM allergic to them or their urine or whatever. Were moving them to the laundry room for a couple of days and vacuuming my room, airing it out, etc. and see what happens.

#13 blinked

blinked

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:59 PM

the same thing is happening to me .. Whenever I come near the hamster's bedding i cant stop sneezing, coughing and getting headaches almost for a month ..
I took the hamsters of the room and everything returned to normal ..
The problem is that here in Portugal there are very few things that you can use for bedding, you either have those http://petfoodwarehouse.co.uk/browse_245 but I think it can be toxic to them right? or these wich I currently use 'green apple chips' http://petfoodwarehouse.co.uk/browse_263 but people say that because of their smell it can cause allergies to people and hamsters, but I can also get those with no green apple scent.

From those two wich one is better avoid allergies and best for hamsters?