Photo

Could my hamster have had a stroke?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nicky1388

Nicky1388

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:41 PM

1. Breed of hamster? I don't know

2. Age of hamster? a little over 2

3. Bedding used? pine, i believe. (yes, i know it's not the best, but my mom would kill me if i threw out the bag of bedding she bought. it won't happen again)

4. What kind of food do you feed? a seed and dried fruit mixture. also some wierd little log type things. treats are this wooden chew ball thing and carrot thingys.

5. What type of cage are they in? 2 crittertrails and 2 other that are identical. the kind that's not wire and not ovo.

6. Has there been any recent cleaning with chemicals or air fresheners near the hamster cage? no

7. How often do you clean the cage and how? once a week, we put him in his ball around 4 and we dismantle and clean the whole setup

8. Any odd or unsusual odors? no

9. What symptoms are they showing? the left paw and the left side of his face seem paralyzed or immobile. he seems to sort of use his leg to get through his tunnels though. I'm worried that it may have been a stroke. He's moving kind of odd. When he's in our hands in moves in a constant circle, but he seems to be getting around his cage well enough.

10. Do you feed fresh foods (lettuce, carrots, etc)? How often? When are they removed from the cage? i've not done that

11. Have you added anything new to the hamster's cage? no, not recently

I really just want to know if my baby is okay or if he is dying or if he is just getting old. I've read a couple of things, so we're trying to get food and water in him, but he's sort of ignoring it. We're going to try again in the morning and then later on tomorrow evening. Please tell me anything helpful you can think of.

Edited by Nicky1388, 24 January 2009 - 03:59 PM.

#2 Nicky1388

Nicky1388

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:15 AM

Someone please help me! I'm really scared.

#3 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,788 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:26 AM

at 2 years old, you may be seeing the beginning of your hamster getting ready to say goodbye.
you mention a stroke... what symptoms are you seeing that lead to think it could be this?

what is his body temperature feel like? does he feel warm, or cool to the touch?

has he gained or lost a lot of weight recently? any bloating type issues?

is this a sudden event? was he otherwise acting perfectly normal over the past mont/week?

what is his breathing like? do you hear any sounds, like clicking?

#4 Nicky1388

Nicky1388

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:36 PM

thanks for the concern. Unfortunately, your first guess is probably right. My baby passed away yesterday afternoon. It was really hard for me, but at least she didn't suffer.

#5 babytinky

babytinky

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:05 AM

R.I.P little hamster