Photo

Why did my Hamster suddenly die?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hewey the Hamster

Hewey the Hamster

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:52 AM

Me and my husband bought a Hamster about 2 weeks ago but he died after 1-1/2 weeks. He seemed to be very nervous and scared around me and my husband and he seemed to hide in his house all the time and would never come out, not hardly even at night. We gave him paper towels and some Carefresh litter and an "Igloo" shaped house and he made a big nest with huge walls inside the house. I'm scared that our house is too cold, but the thermostat is usually set at about 18C. His poop was the usual dark brown but very small and it wasn't liquidy or anything. He pooped frequently on the walls of house and it smelt like horse manure.

I tried talking to him alot at the beginning but he was always kept hiding away from me, so I tried talking to him in a different way and less frequently but he still kept on going into his "Igloo" house. He hated me looking at him, I swear! We changed and thoroughly cleaned his cage and toys with antibacterial soap twice in the 1-1/2 weeks that we had him. We handled him on the first few days and gave him some tiny pieces of carrot on one day, then after 2 days we gave him a raisin, then after another few days we gave him some apple and then some celery after a few more days. He made some coughing sounds?? when we got him.

He seemed so small and fragile and scared that we were worried about putting him into the exercise ball, he also never hardly exercised in his wheel, but that was too small for him. But he did on some nights. Me and my husband thought that maybe we should leave him alone for him to adjust to his surrondings more, so that's what we did. Then one time I woke him up, when he was napping during the day towards supper time, and he jumped onto the bars of his cage and showed his teeth to me, then another time I came near his cage and he "scolded" me. So then we just left him for a few days. Of course, I fed him everyday and I would see him poke his nose outside the door of his house.

But I fed him one last time and I noticed that most of his food was still in his food dish and there was a foul smell and we looked at his doorway and it was completely blocked with carefresh litter and paper towels. me and my husband lifted his house and we found that he had died while he was sleeping. He looked peaceful, it didn't look like he had struggled for air or anything.

I wonder if he had a stroke or stopped breathing while he was sleeping or suffocated? Or maybe he knew that we didn't, somehow, get along, so he just died. Any kind of closure would help, I feel so guilty that we couldn't better meet his needs.

#2 nicolapompicola

nicolapompicola

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:57 PM

If he was sleeping all of the time, and he kept coughing, there's a possiblilty that he may have died from a respiritory infection. Unfortunately, with out your vet doing a post mortem on him, there's no sure way of saying what he died of.

#3 Hewey the Hamster

Hewey the Hamster

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:40 PM

If he was sleeping all of the time, and he kept coughing, there's a possiblilty that he may have died from a respiritory infection. Unfortunately, with out your vet doing a post mortem on him, there's no sure way of saying what he died of.

I guess we'll never know what really happened to him because me and my husband took him back to the pet shop where we got him and we got another Hamster. But I still feel sad that we lost him, I feel like I was a neglectful owner, we should have tried to get his confidence up by putting him in the ball or something.

I feel guilty and sad about the old hamster because I'm enjoying the new hamster so much, she's very outgoing and already comes to me when me or my husband calls her name and she loves going around the house in her ball (right from the very first day we sensed that she wanted to get out of her cage and explore her surrondings!) She's very tame too. She responds very positively when I talk to her and she comes and sees me! She's been a very loving Hamster to both me and my husband right from the very first day we brought her home. I'm just praying that we keep her healthy.

Thanks for responding!

#4 Hewey the Hamster

Hewey the Hamster

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:48 PM

Also, the thing is, he wasn't always coughing, at least not what I noticed, because I barely saw him or came close to his cage in his last days.

It's hard going by the room where we kept him, because I feel like he's still there, it seems that his little spirit is still in that room. And, of course I feel guilty.

Maybe I'll sleep better again someday.

#5 souffle

souffle

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:54 PM

I don't think you should feel guilty about what happened as it sounds as if your baby hamster was ill when you got him. He may have had wet tail with all the poop you describe and he will not have felt like coming out if he was ill. I do not think your house is too cold as it if is OK for a human then most hammies will find that quite comfortable for them.
Here is a link to our taming guide on our website
http://custardhamstery.piczo.com/?g=221438...google&cr=3
We do not like to wait too long to start taming as you will read.
Make sure your cage is well cleaned after the other hammy passed away.
I hope your new little one fairs well and you enjoy his company.
Good luck