Photo

Homemade Hamster Food?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 TysonHammie

TysonHammie

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:45 AM

So what do you think of making your own hamster food? Is it easy? and is it expensive?

If you have recipes those would be much loved.

Im trying to decide if I want to start making my hamster's food by scratch or not. Im kinda uncomfortable with the commercial hamster foods, right now my hammie (a Syrian) is on Small World Hamster Food.

So opinions/comments/anything is much appreciated/welcomed.

#2 xHamster_Pawsx

xHamster_Pawsx

Veteran Hamster

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:39 AM

Hey welcome to hamster hideout!
I get WAGG, it is £2 or £9 for a big bag, i got a 2 pound bags, i dont think you can make hamster food from scratch.
But, their are other hamster food makes.

#3 TysonHammie

TysonHammie

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:18 AM

Hey welcome to hamster hideout!
I get WAGG, it is £2 or £9 for a big bag, i got a 2 pound bags, i dont think you can make hamster food from scratch.
But, their are other hamster food makes.

Thank You :)

Hmm, I will look into that food, thanks.

Yeah, I was thinking it /might/ be possible, but it'd probably be difficult to ensure the hamster is getting everything they need.

#4 hammyluver5

hammyluver5

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:07 AM

Actually it is possible, there was this one website i used to go to and there was a couple people who made their own hamster food.Sadly i think they shut the website down because it hasn't been working for me for like a week.

#5 Tater_tot

Tater_tot

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 04:52 AM

My girlfriend and I make our own robo hamster food. Their daily mix is basically just a combination of:

barely
millet
oatmeal
lentils
buckwheat
flax seed

We get our supplies at a local heath food store where the ingredients are of good quality (no preservatives, organic if possible) and relatively cheap. We supplement their diet with occasional treats like sunflower seeds, broccoli, lettuce, spinach, homemade wheat bread, and most recently...

a couple of crickets :x

Pickachu loved them. He caught one as soon as we put it in his cage and hunted the other one later. It was strange seeing such a cute little animal go into predator mode.

Our hamsters won't even touch commercial hamster food anymore which is good because it's actually more expensive than what we make ourselves.

Edited by Tater_tot, 24 January 2009 - 04:52 AM.

#6 TysonHammie

TysonHammie

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:04 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I was recommended (on another of my posts) a brand of commercial Hamster food that I seem to like the looks/sounds of. So I will be more than likely be switching to that shortly.

#7 sunbirdx

sunbirdx

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:13 AM

I am sort of making my own hammie food, using a really good commercial food for a base:

I use Oxbow Regal Rat pellets for the base and I add:

1 piece of dog food (Prairie Beef and Barley) 3-4 times a week
Volkmans Cockatiel No-Sun 1 teaspoon 3x a week
A grain mix which has
rolled oats
quinoa
brown rice
wild rice
flax seed

3-4x a week

And fresh veggies like broccoli, peas, carrots, corn and green beans 3 x a week.

I am pretty convinced she is getting everything she needs, especially considering she loves the regal rat (which is a little low in protein and fat, hence the dog food).

#8 hammie_ham

hammie_ham

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:18 AM

I think it would be a neat idea, its just doesn't human food have a lot of preservatives in it? Wouldn't that be bad for a ham? I know hamster food does too, but doesn't human made food have more products in it?

#9 sunbirdx

sunbirdx

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:39 AM

I think it would be a neat idea, its just doesn't human food have a lot of preservatives in it? Wouldn't that be bad for a ham? I know hamster food does too, but doesn't human made food have more products in it?

It depends on what you buy. Most bulk grains like Quinoa, brown rice, rolled oats and the like don't have preservatives at all (they are naturally shelf stable). Buying organic also helps make them even healthier (that is what I do).

Pre-made human food typically does have a lot of preservatives and things, but they are usually safer than what is used in animal foods (there is a lot less regulation, in animal food).

I try to stay away from pre-made foods when I can, but I do use the Oxbow (which is pretty high quality) and a very high quality dog food. I wish they made organic hamster pellets!