Photo

How long do they sleep?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ronli

Ronli

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:21 PM

Hello. :) My name is Ronli, and I'm a new hamster owner!

I bought my little darling at a pet store last Friday.

Now, I'll admit to being basically clueless when it came down to buying the hamster. I didn't even remember to ask age and gender until I'd already bought Holly and walked away. I had to go back and ask the man. (I know--sad.) I was just so anxious to take her home!
He told me she's female (which she is) and that she was three months old. Well, I looked at pictures online, and I'm pretty sure she's much younger--probably four to six weeks? She's a very small little hamster!
I THINK she's a Syrian--but I'm not sure. I didn't ask, because I didn't know there were different kinds of hamsters--anyway. To the best of my knowledge, that's what she looks like.

I have been trying to tame my little girl for the last few days (taking it slow, of course.) But she literally sleeps all the time! She gets up for a long drink and a quick bite to eat around nine pm, and then again around twelve, usually. But she's only up for about ten minutes each time, and then it's back to bed! I don't hear her at all at night--so I'm not even sure she's getting up then! (her cage is by my bed.) And of course, she sleeps all day.

I guess my question is, is this normal for a hamster? I knew they were nocturnal, but I was expecting more personal time with her than that! She spends all her time burrowed under her bedding in her sleeping corner. She's so cute, but I want her to wake up so I can get to know her!

Does anyone have any thoughts on how normal this is? Do they sleep less the older they get?

Thanks for any help--I appreciate it!

#2 Peanut123

Peanut123

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:14 PM

shes probably still settling in.
do you have a silent wheel?
Peanut sleeps from 8 am to around 930 PM

#3 Ronli

Ronli

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:23 PM

shes probably still settling in.
do you have a silent wheel?
Peanut sleeps from 8 am to around 930 PM

She does have a silent wheel. So I guess I could just not be hearing her?

But is it normal for her to not get up for longer than ten minutes until after midnight?

I hope so--I already lover her SO much!

How old is Peanut?

#4 PoptartShop

PoptartShop

Angelic Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 12,115 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:28 PM

She's probably still settling in, sometimes it takes longer for certain hammies to adjust. :) I wouldn't worry about it for now. Yep, they are nocturnal. Buttermilk usually sleeps from 5/6AM- 10PM on most days. Sometimes he wakes up later, & I call those his 'lazy' days, hehe! :tongue:

#5 bluedove

bluedove

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:20 PM

It's best to leave your ham alone for about the first week they are home for the first time. It takes them some time to get over the stress of their move and begin to feel secure in their new environment. Once the settling period has passed, I'm sure you'll see more of her.

#6 Ronli

Ronli

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:24 PM

Thanks so much! I'll just back off Holly for now, and let her adjust to her new home.

I appreciate the advice! :wave:

#7 Hamster_Fellow

Hamster_Fellow

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:38 PM

One of my new dwarfs Peanut sleeps a lot, and gets up when she wants to, i think its just due to them getting settled into their new enviroment:)

Do you have any photos of your new hamster?

#8 Ronli

Ronli

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:16 PM

One of my new dwarfs Peanut sleeps a lot, and gets up when she wants to, i think its just due to them getting settled into their new enviroment:)

Do you have any photos of your new hamster?

I do have some pictures of her--not good ones yet. She doesn't hold still for the camera yet. ;D

But I'm not quite sure how to post them on here. I'll try to figure it out somehow! Is there a special place I'm supposed to do that?

#9 Whitewonder

Whitewonder

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:25 PM

Hey ron, im a new hamster owner too, and this is the best place for help / advise , my Russian Dwarf is the same heh, he comes out, has a scoot around inspects stuff (never goes upstairs) , so in the morning i put a little bit food out for him to keep him busy during day (if he isnt asleep) and before i go to bed (he wakes up) i put a teaspoon in his tube and when i wake up in the morning its all gone and to say i wake up and the slightest movement he didnt make a sound and eats the whole lot, so im gona give him time to settle and see if he isnt so LAZY!!! ;D hope this helps and good luck!

#10 Ronli

Ronli

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 03:16 AM

Thanks, WW! I feel a lot better now--I was just really worried that she was too cold or sick or something.

But as far as I can tell from the replies so far, it seems to be normal!

Let me ask this--do younger hamsters tend to sleep more?

#11 gellerbing

gellerbing

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:49 AM

taz is the same too, hes around 8 weeks old so ium wondering if this is a young hamster thing too?

#12 CinnaBun

CinnaBun

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:34 PM

I am VERY GLAD i read this post! also just got a new girl (CinnaBun) and she defn sleeps all day and night, only gettgin up for a quick drink and snack! I was so worried because this is the first hamster I've ever seen act this way. I ALSO thought sh may be cold. Reading these posts was so reassuring. phew!

I hope everyone is right - she is just adjusting.

Please let us know how Holly does, and I will let you know hoe CinnaBun does!