Photo

How cold is too cold for hamsters?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 rhapsody

rhapsody

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:49 AM

Degree-wise, how cold is too cold for hamsters?

The past week, the temperature in my apartment has been hovering around 60 F (~15.5 C). Luckily despite the chill, the apartment is draft-free. However, I unfortunately don't have any heating in my apartment, but so far, my hammies don't seem to mind the temperature - they've been alert and energetic.

I'm also thinking ahead to Christmas-time when I'll be gone for 4 days. Even if I were to get an electrical heater for the hammies, it will have to be unplugged while I'm gone - the electrical outlets in my apartment are very temperamental. Is there any way to keep them warm without using electricity?

#2 Marisa

Marisa

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:05 AM

Er, well my heat at my old house had broken, what I did was make sure the hams have plenty of bedding, and I wrapped a few towels around their cage.

I'm not sure how cold is too cold though

#3 missPixy

missPixy

Magician Ham

• Advisor
  • 13,004 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:51 AM

60 is fine for both dwarfs and syrians. the easiest way to keep your hamster warm is to provide an enclosed nap nook or hut that can be filled with soft bedding. the enclosed area will contain your hamster's own body heat, and the extra bedding will keep everything snuggly.

#4 Meowmies

Meowmies

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Writer Team
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:15 AM

Dwarfs especially are more likely to perish from heat than the cold, but that temperature is getting quite low..

If you give them lots of ripped up toilet paper (best insulator for nest building), they will be able to keep their body heat inside their nests well. But I would worry too much leaving them in a cold apartment (could get colder?) alone for 4 days. Is there no one you can get to check up on them each day?

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Meowmies, 10 December 2008 - 02:16 AM.

#5 Supermunchie

Supermunchie

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:26 AM

Like Meowmies said, toilet paper is a great home remedy for keeping hamsters warm. My hamsters love to fluff it all up! I also put in a bit of carefresh into their sleeping house, I think it can keep them slightly warmer as well :cutie:

#6 rhapsody

rhapsody

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 02:58 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I gave them a bunch of toilet paper the other night, and they all began stuffing it into their little igloos. So cute! And yesterday I got a small ceramic heater thingie from Walgreens for $20 - even on a low setting, it pushed the temp up to 68 F.

#7 Jack_Daniels

Jack_Daniels

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:03 AM

I've found that Hamster Fluff is awesome when it comes to nest building. JD stuffs it along the floor and doorway of his edible hut, and it's very soft and warm. I recommend it more then toilet paper, since it's a lot softer and better insulation. I tried the toilet paper first, he didn't really take to it, so I put some fluff that I got with the starter kit and he snagged that and dragged it into his hut immediately. It's really cool in the basement, with our temperatures down to about -35C (umm... -20 or so F?) and it's about +15C maybe 20 (umm... 60 - 70 F) sorry if my calculations are off, I don't know the Imperial system well.

That's just what I've found my hammy likes, I've only had him for about 3 - 4 days but he seems to know what he likes and doesn't like. It should keep your buddy warm when it gets cooler.