Photo

Tube compatibility for a certain cage

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Marchviolets

Marchviolets

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:46 PM

If I'm lucky, I might be getting the cage pictured below (picture included as I'm unsure of the brand name):

Posted Image

I was wondering if anyone on the forum might know which tubes, if any, would be compatible with it. I have seen extension kits for the cage on eBay, but they would serve more purpose if they could work together with other cages.

Also, if I do end up with this cage, I think it might be nice to join my hamster's current cage, a Savic Rody, to it for some extra running space. Any ideas on how to go about doing that would be appreciated - I've seen lots of tubes connected to bins and such on here, but the plastic on the Savic Rody is probably stronger/harder than a bin cage.

Thanks in advance. :)

#2 PoptartShop

PoptartShop

Angelic Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 12,115 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:39 AM

Oooh, it looks nice! :) Hmm, I'm no expert, but maybe SAM tubes would work?

#3 Marchviolets

Marchviolets

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:56 AM

Thank you for the suggestion! :) I don't think I've ever come across a SAM cage, but I will look into that.

#4 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:29 AM

Oh! I think a couple members on this forum have this cage or soemthing similar--I can't remember their usernames, but let's hope they come by this topic.

I think CT, SAM, and so on will be compatible with it. It seems pretty similar to an Imac cage. Maybe you can ask the people with extension kits on eBay?

#5 Marchviolets

Marchviolets

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:43 AM

Brilliant idea! I will definitely consider messaging them to ask. Although this cage does look similar to an imac or a CT, it seems to be from Singapore or similar and so I have no idea if it will be compatible or not. I hope someone that already has the cage might know. :)

#6 PoptartShop

PoptartShop

Angelic Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 12,115 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:12 AM

Yeah, SAM tubes are from the brand Penn-Plax I think. ;) You can get them in packs, you don't have to get the cage to do it. :D
Here's what they look like:

Posted Image They come in all different sizes (& shapes). I love 'em!

#7 Marchviolets

Marchviolets

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:25 AM

Thank you for the info! :)

I came across this picture on the "Proud of your hamsters cage" thread, from someone called Shivanitras (I hope they won't mind me using the picture):

Posted Image

The tubes connecting the cage to the tank aren't the same ones that the cage originally comes with (and you can see that the end of the tubing is tilting into the cage a little bit). If anyone happens to recognise the type of tube being used please let me know! :)

#8 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:17 AM

Those are Crittertrail tubes, which is good news: Anything compatible with CT also will work with SAM, Habitrail, and I think even Ovo tubes.

#9 rhapsody

rhapsody

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:30 AM

I vaguely recall that there is a standard set for hamster tubes and their connectors - so theoretically, all the different brands should be able to hook up together.

I personally have a random hamster cage that is no longer made (I can't even find the company info), but it hooks up perfectly to PennPlax, CT, SAM, and Habitrail cages. And SAM and CT tubes can be used interchangeably.

#10 Marchviolets

Marchviolets

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:59 AM

Plushie - That's wonderful news, thank you for replying! :) The tubes attached in the picture obviously don't line up perfectly with the cage, but it looks like they put the ring on afterwards so the tube couldn't be pushed out?

Rhapsody - That's a very interesting point. :D The rings connecting the Crittertrail tubes in the picture look smaller than the ones connecting the cage tubes though (and that seems likely because the Crittertrail tube isn't secure in the side of the cage). However, I spotted that the tube inside the tank pictured isn't a Crittertrail one (?) it looks smooth like the tubes that come with the cage, and it seems to be attached to the Crittertrail tubes at the top. I guess I can't know for sure unless someone with the cage replies. Thanks for your thoughts. :)