Photo

My ham-ham keeps peeing on me!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ashk24

Ashk24

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:54 AM

My hamster (got her 3 weeks ago) pees on my hands, and not all the time, just occasionly. She pees in my hands, and on my legs. She pees on me, and it's kind of odd because she couldv'e went pee anywhere, for I was holding her while sitting on my bed, yet, she walked all the way over and situated herself on me and then peeded. got any advice? has anyone had this happen to them before?

#2 PoptartShop

PoptartShop

Angelic Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 12,115 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:11 AM

Maybe she's just nervous; however, it is normal & it does happen to some people. My hamsters have never done it, but each hamster's different. :) I think before you pick her up, maybe make sure she's used the bathroom (I know that can't be done all the time) but it may help. Otherwise, there's not much you can really do. Hopefully as she gets older she'll have better control of it. :D

#3 fufiche

fufiche

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:27 PM

Hmmm .... she may only be nervous. This only happened to me once, with BabyBlue. I guess he just had to go .... :)

#4 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,388 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:45 AM

Do you give her sufficient time to wake up, eat, groom, and potty before taking her out? Oftentimes people rush to take the poor hamster out before it's even awake, so perhaps she hasn't had a chance to go yet. :)

I also agree very much with the "nervous" thing.

#5 Ashk24

Ashk24

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:08 AM

Thanks. Yeah, I try to let her relax and do her buisness before I pick her up, but the thing is, she doesn't even wake up till like midnight, and I don't have time to play with her because I want to go to sleep. so, I don't know what to do, it's not like I can tell her to wake up at like 8 pm or something. Is there a way to change a hamster's sleeping schedule? I don't think so, but I might as well ask.

#6 fufiche

fufiche

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:08 PM

I read you can make your hamham wake up earlier by feeding her earlier. So ... try feeding her at the same time every day and try doing it at an hour that's ok for you, like 8 pm. I usually let my hamhams wake up when they want to, so I never tried this and I can't tell you if it works. Good luck though! :)

#7 Ashk24

Ashk24

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:51 AM

Thanks! I'll try that today. maybe after a week or two she'll get used to it or something. I hope I won't make her mad at me or anything, because, I like to just let her sleep but last night (like every night) she woke up at midnight. and she stayed up till 9 am-that's when she got so tired from biting at the wire bars she conked out :zzz: and fell deep asleep. Oh, and do any of you guys know is the cage I got (a crittertrail Y) is any good for a syrian hamster? She seems to be okay with her cage for now, but she is a BIG time escape artist and a bitter (well, she doesn't bite me or anything, but you should see the cage :eek: ). I was thinking, should I get her a big bin for christmas? I can't afford another cage or a tank, but I heard bins are like 10 dollars. I could attach the bin with the crittertrail Y but I don't have any of then tools that people say you need (like, power tools and stuff). I need any advice or any tips, thank you!

P.s. Oh, and the reason why I want to get a bin is because I want her to have more room to have fun and stuff. She would love to run around, she likes to run in tunnels. It's so cute too because she has a big butt and it so cute to watch her squize her fuzzy butt through the tubes ^_^

Edited by Ashk24, 26 November 2008 - 03:55 AM.

#8 fufiche

fufiche

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:30 AM

If you can buy a bin I say but the biggest one you can afford. Hamsters love to run around and it makes cleaning the cage alot easier. :)

I don't have any power tools so I just used a knife to cut through the plastic when I made my bin cages. You have to be very careful because you have to heat the blade so that it melts the plastic (that way you can cut much easier). I suggest you get someone to help you. And attaching the bin to the cage is really easy. Just use some tubes. I'm sure she'll enjoy squeezing her fuzzy butt through them. :) :P

I'm sorry. I 'm not familiar with the cage you have but I'm sure someone else will give you great advice. :)

#9 Ashk24

Ashk24

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 03:40 PM

Thanks! I went to wal-mart today and saw their largest bin cage (it was huge) and it was for only 9 dollars!!! WOW.

I can't get the bin till december though, when I get money at the beggining of the month, so, my hamster will have to wait in the small cage she has now till then. Is it okay for her to wait till then?

#10 fufiche

fufiche

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 04:27 PM

:) Yes, it's ok. I'm sure your hamham will be very happy when the new bin arrives! And she'll be even friendlier and more playful. :) And 9$! Wow! How large is it? I can get mine for about 35$ and it's around 20"x30". :( But that's just because bins are pretty expensive here (God knows why...).
I actually heard it's ok to keep your hamster in a smaller cage at first (until she gets used to the environment) and then give her the extra space. :)

#11 Ashk24

Ashk24

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:58 PM

thanks! yeah, the bin is pretty large, but I'm afraid that if I attach the bin to the wire cage I have, will she bit at the ends of the carved out hole and get through? She did this in a plastic cage before I got her at the petstore, the owner of the petstore said that she actually bit through the plastic cage by finding a little corner and chewing at it overnight. Thanks for the advice, I'm sure she'll love a larger home in december-an early christmas gift to her!

#12 fufiche

fufiche

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:12 PM

I was afraid my hamsters would bite the plastic cage but it didn't happen. I guess each hanmmy is different. Still ... My first hammie escaped a lot when he was at the pet shop. With me he seems happy and is quite cuddly. You never know.