Photo

Why you CANNOT cross-breed your hamsters

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
146 replies to this topic

#1 bluebells

bluebells

Baby Hamster

• 37 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 12:08 PM

Can i cross breed my own hamster? How to do it? what kind breed with which kind?

#2 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 10:04 PM

It is impossible to cross breed syrians and the dwarfs.

It is possible to cross breed campbell and winter whites causing "hybrids". However, this is strongly discouraged as doing so will weaken the genes of the offsprings and cause possible deformities and health problems.

#3 yuri0805

yuri0805

Junior Hamster

• 157 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 03:58 AM

This was one part of a letter written by Melissa Chamberlain; an NHC judge of high regard when it comes to dwarf hamsters, which I found it in the internet..

on cross breeding winterwhites + campbells

<<
Both the Campbell and the Winter White are similar species but they are slightly different in their genetic makeup. They come from different areas of Russia, in the wild they would eat slightly different foods, and if they did meet in the wild they would ignore each other because they knew that mating to each other wouldn't really prove anything, as it would weaken the gene pool and weaken the stock.

Captive bred hamsters don't have that luxury, we choose the mates for them, we don't care if they carry or suffer with diabetes, kidney failure, glaucoma, cancer, missing limbs or ears, I could carry on, but here we have a breeder who totally disregards the rules of breeding hamsters and crosses the species.

So to go back to basics. The word Hybrid describes a crossbreed, a mixture which means that they will carry the characteristics of both parents. This is similar to a crossbreed dog rather than a mongrel, a crossbreed requires two different parents a mongrel requires the two crossbreeds mated again resulting in 4 or more different breeds. But and this is the big but, it can not be bred out, if you have a crossbreed or a mongrel you will not by selective breeding come back to a pure bred animal.

Mating Winter White to Campbell can and probably will produce no end of problems, firstly any resulting off spring may be infertile, which is good to the extent that if they are the problem stops there, but this has to be proven, and there will always be the odd one which isn't.
The Winter White and Campbell are also constructed slightly differently, which in turn can cause problems in the production of litters, especially if it's the Winter White that's producing, because of the slightly wider head of the Campbell, the Winter Whites birth canal is not geared up for big headed babies, result lost litter and lost female.

Secondly both species are flushing up various health problems, the biggest is diabetes in the Campbells and the Glaucoma in Winter Whites crossing these two species will inevitably cross these two illnesses.

>>

Hope it's of use!

#4 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,821 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 05:27 AM

yuri i read this article also, very xcellent info...

#5 otacon

otacon

Baby Hamster

• 32 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 11:17 PM

How abt WW and Robo?

#6 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 01:03 AM

no that's not possible too

#7 chipmon

chipmon

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 01:08 PM

i always believe that as a responsible pet owner as well as a breeder, one should read up more first before breeding their hamsters to prevent unexpected consequences.

if we know that cross breeding may cause death and unhealthy offsprings, why should we take the risk in worrying what to do with the defective babies later? ???

here's an article extracted from pet website which i found informative:
http://www.hamsterhideout.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=464

it is not possible to breed a WW with a robo as both hamster species contain different chromosomes. in fact, it will endanger your robo as WW is very much bigger in size as a robo.

another article extracted from pet website on the no of chromosomes of the different hamster species:
http://www.petwebsite.com/chromo.htm

hope those who intend to cross breed their hamsters out of curiosity will really think twice and not let "curiosity kills the cat". afterall i believe everyone loves their hamsters and none will want to see any bad incidents happen to their beloved hamsters. ;)

#8 I-Love-hamsters

I-Love-hamsters

Baby Hamster

• 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 06:34 AM

Ok I know you are getting a little to complicated trying to cross teddy bear hamsters and golden hamsters. But I know that they are different branches in the golden hamster tree. Wonder if you can cross breed them !

#9 M@oM@o

M@oM@o

Baby Hamster

• 36 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:11 PM

even if u try putting hamsters of diff breeds together, it won't work out becoz they have a tendency to avoid each like fire and water, and mating is unlikely.

#10 xHanachanx

xHanachanx

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 01:11 PM

its not a good idea because if they do the babies will either be deformed or they get sick very easily

#11 Knightmare

Knightmare

Baby Hamster

• 9 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 12:21 AM

Yeah, don't ever cross breed: Winter White, Campbells and Robos with each other. It's kind of cruel and bad to do so.

#12 Hamster_Lover

Hamster_Lover

Rookie Hamster

• 70 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 04:32 AM

Cross breeding should never be done, it can cause health problems in the new pups and also endangers each species of hamsters.

#13 Ackley

Ackley

Baby Hamster

• 10 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 05:34 PM

the answer to tht question is Yes technically u can cross breed wws and campbells.

But morally the answer is No. but since bluebells hasnt even been replying to his/her own thread. i dont see why i should explain furthur.

:zzz:

#14 pinkfairy

pinkfairy

Baby Hamster

• 23 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 04:15 PM

Erh... Ackley, could you please explain? I would really like to know why not. I have only syrians and robos. I heard campbells are very nippy. :hyper:

#15 guy

guy

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 10:30 PM

Alot of people crossbreed campbells and WWs for all the wrong reasons. Primary reason is to have a 'tamer' campbell.

Crossbreeding hamsters is wrong. period.

I've some friends who had experience with breeders who cross breed WW and campbells, and selling them on yahoo.

People should really be careful when buying hamsters there. There are sellers (no doubt rating is super high), who managed to sell these hybrids and get away with it.