Photo

PetCo Hamster Ball Derby

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bea

Bea

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:45 AM

So petco has this hamster ball derby thing every year. I saw the flyer when I went to get bedding for my hams today, it's supposed to be on saturday, oktober 4th at 2:00 p.m., I thought the idea was cute, but I think that would be SO stressful for the hamsters, and with all those syrian ham-hams, who will see each other, and smell each other, and possibly hear each other, won't they just want to fight? What do you guys think of this "hamster ball derby"?

#2 rhapsody

rhapsody

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:34 AM

Yup, I got the Petco flyer too went I got some new toys for one of my RC dwarfs. Granted, its a really cute idea BUT I definitely will not be participating.

The event is guaranteed to be crowded and noisy with A LOT of little kids running about. Besides, transferring your hammie back and forth between his/her travel cage and hamster ball would only add to the stress of being in a new environment with a bunch of other hamsters.

#3 doghamstyluv95

doghamstyluv95

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:53 AM

When I had Belle, I took her once and she won all 3 races granted there were only 4 people there :rolleyes: Anyway, she was not stressed at all but I would never have taken her again because I probably just got lucky the first time and she was perfectly fine.

#4 Tom

Tom

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:16 AM

I think its not nice to wake hamsters up in the middle of the day to race in a ball
Dont they realise there nocturnal and need there sleep

#5 LupaWulf

LupaWulf

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:29 AM

I'd be worried about hamsters getting loose in PetCo during the swap between travel cage and hamster ball.

#6 Hammie1228

Hammie1228

Baby Hamster

• 14 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 05:04 PM

i had signed up, but shortly after thought about the stress on my hammy... and decided not to participate. sounds fun i will definately be there to watch the race :D

#7 Jibbet07

Jibbet07

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:31 AM

It may seem cute, but there is sure to be a lot of noise, people and other hamsters which is just going to stress the little guy out!

#8 Bea

Bea

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 02:39 AM

Wow, this thread is really old. It's from way back in September. Anyways, I wasn't planning on participating (I was in Germany anyways) but I might watch this year, though definitely not participating.

#9 lilmariah

lilmariah

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:29 AM

We don't have any of these in our local pets shop but I wouldn't participate and I would encourage others not to either. Like doghamstyluv95 said, maybe once you'd be lucky but I wouldn't tempt fate *X*

#10 hamsters=epic

hamsters=epic

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:05 PM

It seemed like a cute idea, but now that I think about it, all the noise and other hamsters really would get to them.

I think a hamster should do that maybe once in its lifetime, if at all.

#11 *Caramel*

*Caramel*

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:05 PM

I did this last year with Summer. She placed 2nd in the prelims, but I think it was well worth going there because not only did I meet other hamster owners, but I met Oliver there, too. I think I am going to take Summer again, even though she is not the youngest, but since she doesn't really care for wheels anymore, she goes in her ball the most. I also might take Ebony because she's the youngest (Oliver and Summer's baby that I kept) and also very fast, and she likes her wheel, but balls aren't the most familiar thing to her, but I could train her. I am DEFINITELY not entering Oliver. I think he is the oldest (he was in the rescue section, but the man said he was just getting picked on, but he looked older, was tame when I bought him and had no wounds whatsoever), and he recently recovered from a fractured leg. He can run now, but never as fast as before. The poor guy... But I am intending on going this year. When I went, the hamsters were scared, but weren't sniffing loudly at the smells. Summer had fun. Summer has always been a huge people-hamster, and she was Miss Popular at that competition. They would look at her and ask to feed her some of their treats. She had full pouches upon leaving! At the nearby Petco (they're about the same distance) that I decided to compete at, there is a dish by the checkout filled with dog treats. I asked the man if they were for taking, and he said I could take one for my dog if I wanted to. "Thanks," I said as I took three biscuits. He said, "Or however many dogs you have..." Both my mom and I watched as I put one in Summer's travel cage and one in Oliver's cardboard box. I put the third one in my pocket and told my mom, "This one will be for Sandra." My mom giggled. The man had a look on his face seeming as if he were debating if Sandra was a dog or a Syrian hamster. Funny story!

Edited by *Caramel*, 20 August 2009 - 10:09 PM.

#12 Chinese Hamster

Chinese Hamster

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:20 AM

A couple months ago Chestnut ( my hamster ) 1st place on a hamster race. I won a new cage also!

CH :orly:

Edited by Chinese Hamster, 23 August 2009 - 02:21 AM.