Photo

CritterTrail Cages Kill!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 rinn9876

rinn9876

Baby Hamster

• 8 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 01:44 AM

My boyfriend and I recently purchased a CritterTrail X hamster home at PetSmart for our pet of one year. After only 3 days of owning the CritterTrail X , our hamster, Pam, was able to escape by opening the front door to the cage by herself. As a result, she made her way to a sump pump in the family basement and drowned before anyone realized she was loose. This cage is defective! Since her death, I have heard of cases of hamsters dying by near decapitation from the faulty design of CritterTrail cages. Spread the word, I don't want any more animals to have to die because of a company's negligence. :(

#2 MJ_1993

MJ_1993

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 01:47 AM

My boyfriend and I recently purchased a CritterTrail X hamster home at PetSmart for our pet of one year. After only 3 days of owning the CritterTrail X , our hamster, Pam, was able to escape by opening the front door to the cage by herself. As a result, she made her way to a sump pump in the family basement and drowned before anyone realized she was loose. This cage is defective! Since her death, I have heard of cases of hamsters dying by near decapitation from the faulty design of CritterTrail cages. Spread the word, I don't want any more animals to have to die because of a company's negligence. :(

AWW im so sorry, thats really sad, yes they dont have a good reputation, poor girl

#3 Supermunchie

Supermunchie

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:06 AM

I'm really sorry to hear that she died. Yes, Hamster Hideout knows that Crittertrails are bad thank goodness, thank you, I'm sure we will all spread the word anyway ;)

#4 SuperCoco

SuperCoco

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:36 AM

Iv'e heard this,and heard reports of many deaths caused by this contraption.sorry about the death.:-{

#5 HookedonHammies

HookedonHammies

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:01 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your hamster's death :sad: Thank goodness I have never purchased a crittertrail. Thank you for warning us. :hug:

#6 PoptartShop

PoptartShop

Angelic Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 12,115 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 05:27 AM

Aw, I'm so sorry for your loss. :sad: Ugh, I know, it's a shame.

#7 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:44 AM

The cheapness of the cages are saddening and they promote hamsters living in small spaces. Thanks for sending out another warning. Sorry about your hammie.

#8 doghamstyluv95

doghamstyluv95

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:53 AM

I'm so sorry about your loss! Crittertrail cages are very defective. One of my hamsters nail's got cut off because it got stuck on one of the sharp corners. I'm so glad I got rid of mine.

#9 robinhamster

robinhamster

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:09 AM

i'm sorry about Pam :(
my hamsters can get out of any wire cage (they open the door) i give them so i always twist tie the doors shut..

#10 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,349 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:34 AM

I'll echo the others...I'm very sorry about your hamster. :( She was a Syrian, I am guessing? Crittertrails are horrible for Syrians, but to be fair, so is most every modular cage on the market. I own almost every type of cage and have to say I dislike SAM brand the most. It is even SMALLER than CT, no ventilation, and also heard of many escapes with pushing the window door off.

I have Crittertrails for my 2 dwarfs, and this type of cage would not have been my first choice to go out and buy, but now that I've personally owned them, I will say I've given them unfair ratings in the past without owning it. I feel many of them connected are suitable for a small dwarf ONLY (and I don't mean a Robo either). My 2 dwarfs are very laid back and do not try to escape at all, nor do they have the strength behind their small bodies to push something open and get out.

Of course, with every cage, common sense is needed. It is important to check for the wire door to latch shut VERY tightly. I have purposely bent some wires near my doors to make them too tight for my dwarfs to open. It is also vital to attach the tubes in a way where they are secure and will not come off. This can be done by having the cage right up against and object with the tube in between so it has no where to move. Also work WITH gravity, not against it. In other words don't attach 20 tubes all on one spot without any support or joined parts to another section for support.

Really, it's all common sense, but I agree that CT's are NOT for a Syrian...I don't care how laid back one is. They are simply too small and cramped, the tubes are dangerous, in my opinion, and too many escape stories have been posted online for me to every try one with my gal...with the exception of the CT mini 2. This one is very secure and put together tightly.....but only as an add on space of course.

Anyways, I'll stop rambling. I just think CT's get unfair ratings at times, and I am guilty of doing this in the past before even owning one. As with all cages, caution and daily maintenance checks are needed.

So sorry again for your loss. :'(

#11 dizflip

dizflip

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 01:50 PM

wow i cant believe the crittertrail was also the water that killed your poor hammy. :(
After all u said CT is the killer.

#12 xdiaxzippxopus

xdiaxzippxopus

Baby Hamster

• 6 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:32 PM

I'm really sorry about you're hamster:(

These are definately not good for syrians... however I have dwarfs and I haven't had a problem yet. For one of my dwarfs he semms to be too small for the cage. Haha. He's like a really small dwarf and he can barely turn his wheel in his extreme habitat from crittertrail.

#13 Jaybee

Jaybee

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Banned
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:17 PM

So sorry to hear that. I have used Crittertrails in my setup for my robos, and I haven't had any problems whatsoever. I would never want to keep a pet in just one of them. Her set-up consisted of the Crittertrail Outlook, Crittertrail One, Crittertrail Discovery Deluxe, and the Crittertrail Extreme cage (the one with the slide). She loves them!

Sadly, the cages are kinda cheapily made and break easily. The syrian I adopted came in a crittertrail, and they had to tape the top boxes shut. Also,the tubes that come with the crittertrails have those ridges which make it really hard for a syrian to fit through.

#14 Furkies

Furkies

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:32 PM

Please don't dig up OLD topic, thanks.

#15 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:46 PM

Critter trial cages are too small for any species of hamsters. You need about 3-4 of them to give hamsters adequate room in them. And yes please don't bring up old topics. ;)