Photo

Best food for Dwarf hamsters?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 wildazkoda

wildazkoda

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:08 AM

I feed Cola Nutriphase and was wondering if it was okay for him. He seems to be fine now. Should I change foods? If so, what kind of food at PetsMart should I switch to?

#2 music.note

music.note

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 06:18 AM

Hey,
I use bephar food...xtra vitel or somthing.
Its great and since i've switched my hamsters are much happier!

I thought they were fine before but now they're much...just differant!

I'm sure the food you're using is great, most of the commercial foods contain mainly the same bulk of ingredients.

#3 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:29 AM

Nutriphase (not sure about all the types) and Kaytee (all of them I've seen) have ethoxyquin in them. "Ethoxyquin (a preservative)" is what you'll find in the ingredients list. Ethoxyquin is bad for hamsters, as it can cause cancer in small animals, and it's illegal to put it in human food as well. I really suggest that you switch ;)

Otherwise, while food-hunting (lol), I would generally keep away from hamster-gerbil or hamster-whatever diets. Usually they're okay, and it's not going to kill them, but gerbils and hamsters and whatever else have different nutrition needs. Most of them are okay but a slightly better choice would just be an all hamster food.

In the USA, Hazel (in the UK it's Harry) Hamster is a good choice. (Harry Hamster in the US has ethoxyquin; remember that!) I also use Brown's, which is a seed mix as well. My hamsters get a bit of Mazuri (a lab block) too, since lab blocks grind down their teeth and the hamster cannot pick and choose, giving them more solid nutrition.

#4 wildazkoda

wildazkoda

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:44 PM

Hmm, I'll look for Hazel Hamster food. Thank you so much!

#5 PoptartShop

PoptartShop

Angelic Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 12,115 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:49 AM

Yeah, or you could try to look for another block food. :) Block foods don't contain a lot of fatty foods like the sunflower seeds & corn; so they are a bit better nutrition-wise. :D
Hazel Hamster is good; so is VitaKraft.

#6 DolphinDreamer

DolphinDreamer

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:40 AM

I use VitaKraft Menu hamster food and both my RC dwarf Ruby and my Syrian Hammy seem to like this food. And Nutriphase contaians ethoxyquin.

#7 wildazkoda

wildazkoda

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:43 AM

I think PetsMart has VitaKraft. I can't believe I have been feeding pretty much Nutriphase to Cola all this time. I will switch when my Nutriphase food starts to run out. Then I'll start mixing it in gradually. Thanks for the help guys!

#8 SPG Girl

SPG Girl

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:38 AM

Oh really Nutriphase is bad? That's the only mix I've ever fed him. How is it bad? I mean what does that preservative do to their innards? Does it make them sick or kill them?

#9 wildazkoda

wildazkoda

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 11:18 AM

Oh really Nutriphase is bad? That's the only mix I've ever fed him. How is it bad? I mean what does that preservative do to their innards? Does it make them sick or kill them?

I don't think it will kill them quickly because I have been feeding that to Cola pretty much since when I got him and he still is healthy. I am going to switch to Vitakraft when my bag of Nutriphase food starts to run out. Yes, I did say that before, lol

#10 SPG Girl

SPG Girl

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 11:43 PM

I don't think it will kill them quickly because I have been feeding that to Cola pretty much since when I got him and he still is healthy. I am going to switch to Vitakraft when my bag of Nutriphase food starts to run out. Yes, I did say that before, lol

I went ahead and switched yesterday. He seems to like the new stuff. It's called Brown's - Encore Hamster Food.

#11 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:58 AM

Yeah, Brown's is a good brand. ;) I'm using Fruit Bites Banquet, and I pick out all the seeds to use as treats. I'm telling you, Brown's has a very...varied...variety of seeds, LOL! I've seen a seed shaped like a spaceship...a seed the size of my fingernail (and my fingernails are LONG)...it's crazy btu the hamsters love it. XD

The only complaint I have so far about Brown's is that the brand sells these so called hamster treats that are orangey flavored. Hamsters and a couple other rodents CANNOT have citrus, even as a treat. The citric acid is much too bad for their stomach. :no:

#12 SPG Girl

SPG Girl

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:38 AM

The bright red bits in his new food make his poop red. So for anyone who gets this stuff be forewarned and don't freak out if you see red poop. :laughing:

#13 meilinc

meilinc

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:23 AM

among all the food i've tried. my hamsters se,, top lpve vitakraft emotions. more than the main vitakraft one.

all 10 of them finish it really fast.

they don't like marukan.