Photo

Pregnant hammy; blood?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 sheri706

sheri706

Baby Hamster

• 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:59 AM

Hello,

About two weeks ago we purchased a new dwarf hamster that was supposed to be a female, but was in fact a male and mated with two of our females, but we're unsure if conception occurred. We had to return the little fellow, even though he was rather cute.

We just returned from a one week vacation and our hamsters stayed with my mom. Apparently one of the hamsters that could possibly be pregnant was acting weird, taking tantrums in the corner and squeaking. We saw her today and she was more aggressive than usual. She was always a biter, but now she's even worse.

But, what we're most concerned about is that there is a small spot of fresh blood around her vagina. Could this be a sign of miscarriage? She seems pretty normal otherwise, she's still active and is eating and drinking.

Any ideas?

Edited by sheri706, 24 March 2008 - 09:00 AM.

#2 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:07 AM

It's possible that she was bitten by her sister, especially if she's been squeaking. Squeaking is a sign of fear and I think it means "BACK OFF!" in hamster language. It's not normal for a pregnant hamster to be throwing tantrums for no reason. However some pregnant hamsters will be aggresive.

I highly suggest you seperate the females, since one another can possibly stress each other out to cause them to eat the babies. It can also cause them to "miscarry" as we might say, but it's really that they absorb the babies back into their body to preserve the strength for a later litter (it's wild instincts so definetaly don't give them the chance to breed again.) They may also eat the babies.

Signs she will give birth soon are a rapidly expanding tummy, extreme nest building, and shunning the other away from the nest. (Also remember to seperate them as said before ;)) Remove the wheel once you see these signs, or before if you're cautious.

When they give birth give the moms a couple sunflwoer seeds to boost their strength, and fresh foods such as a little cucumber. Do not touch the babies or even get near this, as this will alarm the motehr and make her eat them (said above). If you give her food leave it far away from teh babies. Only contact the cage to refill water and food. You can touch the babies and clean the cage at 2 weeks old or when their eyes are open. Also try to avoid pictures with flash.

Good luck and if you need help just ask!

Edited by plushiehamsta, 24 March 2008 - 10:10 AM.

#3 sheri706

sheri706

Baby Hamster

• 8 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:44 AM

Thanks for the reply!

I'm pretty sure the blood is not from being biten or scratched. She seems to be bleeding slightly from her vagina. We've even found a few blood-stained pieces of bedding.

I haven't witnessed the tantrums for myself. Since we've had them back she hasn't done anything of the sort.

We have her in her own cage now and have taken out the wheel, as well as the ramp/shelf since she's a little clumsy and has already fallen off the shelf, just in case she really is pregnant. Although, she just loves the wheel and would run on it endlessly, but I didn't see her run a single time yesterday.

And thanks for the tips for when (and if!) the babies come!

#4 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:01 AM

I've found that bites are usually around the tail area. I haven't heard anything of a hamster bleeding while pregnant; only maybe a tiny itty bit during heat (the human equivalent of a period; it happens every 4 days, poor little girls!) and usually blood doesn't show. I've had a hamster (Olivia) bitten on her tail and it appeared she was peeing blood; it could have been that the blood spread to her opening to make it appear as if it was coming from there.

Glad I could help :veryhappy:

#5 souffle

souffle

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:41 AM

Could she have given birth at all and either buried or destryed the litter? There is often blood staining on the bedding after birth. The mother sounds very stressed and may have killed the pups. She may also be having birthing problems or have an infection which causes a bloodstained discharge. It is not normal to get bleeding except at birth and if she seems to be acting abnormally she has likely had the babies or is unwell. If you cannot see the babies and she appears odd I really would check her and see a vet. They can hide them very well. Use a clean spoon rubbed in the bedding to very quietly check in any nest area. Try not to distarb her. I hope she is OK.

#6 sheri706

sheri706

Baby Hamster

• 8 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:41 AM

For anyone that's interested, Snowpea gave birth yesterday to two healthy babies! It seems like an unusually small litter (unless there are a couple others that are hidden well), so maybe she did lose a baby or two.

She made a very impressive nest and has been sitting on the babies to keep them warm and feeding them.

Edited by sheri706, 30 March 2008 - 02:41 AM.

#7 clarelou

clarelou

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:36 AM

awww congrstulations to you and snowpea (although it was not planned :tongue: )
hope everything goes well will the babies