Photo

Hamsters Swollen Butt PICS

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 nutmeg6831

nutmeg6831

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:07 AM

Info from first question... "Hello, I noticed today that my female Syrian Hamster's butt is getting bigger.

She was 7 weeks when i got her, and i've only had her a few months, so she's maybe 4 months old. So i thought maybe she was just getting "bigger" in her bottom half. But it's just so much bigger. I am sure she is a female as it is also just like it is inflamed and not like to ball shapped Testicals. hehe

It doesnt stick out past her tail, but it's swollen out and down towards the ground if that makes sense. And there seems to be a more red swollen bump where i think her Bum hole is. About the size of a dime.

Her tail doesnt feel wet, and she doesnt have diahrea, but her pop today was a bit softer looking. (as you can see in the pics)

Also last week she was sleeping in a closed in house and I found out she was peeing AND sleeping in there when i cleaned her cage. So i didnt put the lid back on. Could her sleeping in her own Pee have caused it? maybe she got got it infected?

She hasnt been near another hampster in 3months so she can't be pregnant. I use Aspen shavings (not pine or cedar)
She is eating and drinking fine, and is active... when i put her in her ball last night to run on the floor she could go pretty fast but wasnt "FLYING" like she normally does... she was almost waddeling her back legs around her big butt if that makes sense

I'M SO WORRIED... it is easter weekend so there are no places open for me to take her. So it will be 4 days before i can get her to a vet (IF I CAN find a small animals vet, as the one in my town doesnt take small animals Thanks for your help as this is my first hamster sincei was a child so i'm a Newb"

HERE ARE SOME PICS... sorry i had to take them of her in the ball as she didnt like being flipped on her back :no: Sorry for the poop in the pic, but atleast you can see what i mean by her poop is soft. I hope these pics turn out... its my first time putting pics. Ignore the wetspot on the one of her sitting down... she had rubbed past the water bottle.

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii270/nutmeg_pie/?action=view&current=IMG_3141_2.jpg

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii270/nutmeg_pie/?action=view&current=IMG_3140_2.jpg

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii270/nutmeg_pie/?action=view&current=P1040006_2.jpg

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii270/nutmeg_pie/?action=view&current=P1040007_2.jpg

So any ideas would be helpful... It's a $100 just for the vet in driving distance of my house to SEE my hamster (not including meds or anything else she may need if its serious) and i am BROKE, so please let me know if this is a TAKE YOUR HAMMY TO THE VET ASAP kind of thing... as i dont know if i can get her there untill after Easter holidays :grumpy:

For some reason the pics arent showing up but here are the direct links...
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii270/n...=IMG_3141_2.jpg
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii270/n...=IMG_3140_2.jpg
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii270/n...=P1040006_2.jpg
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii270/n...=P1040007_2.jpg

Edited by nutmeg6831, 22 March 2008 - 09:09 AM.

#2 PoptartShop

PoptartShop

Angelic Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 12,115 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:50 AM

Oh they are definitely testicles! Looks like 'ya have yourself a male!

#3 lori330h

lori330h

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:53 AM

i'm no expert, but are you SURE she is not a he. it really looks like a male. if it was really young when you got it, the testicles may have not devoloped all the way, making it look like a girl.

but if your totally sure it's a girl, i would get someone else's advice. i'm not sure what that could be.

#4 doghamstyluv95

doghamstyluv95

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:59 AM

Yes, Looks like you got yourself a male there. ;)

#5 nutmeg6831

nutmeg6831

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:55 AM

i'm no expert, but are you SURE she is not a he. it really looks like a male. if it was really young when you got it, the testicles may have not devoloped all the way, making it look like a girl.

but if your totally sure it's a girl, i would get someone else's advice. i'm not sure what that could be.

I am going to see if i can find a vet open tmrw that maybe can fit us in...unless she looks way better at 7am tmrw (fingers corssed) It sucks to pay $100 for a $6 hamster but I love her (or him :laughing: ) so much that even if it ended up being for my own peice of mind over the Easter Holdiay it may be worth it. even if its the last of my money :irked:
Her butt does look a bit diffent then in those pictures... its almost one big lump with lumps with in that lump. I have been told that hamsters can go down hill quickly and if it is something serious and she takes a turn for the worse when i'm helpless to get her anywhere because the vets' are closed i dont think i could be ok with knowing i didnt do something when i had the chance.

YA i'm a sucky girl...

If it is a boy... is it normal for there balls to not drop untill they are 5months? Her brothers that were in the cage with her when i got her 3 or 4 moths ago already had promenent "Balls" lol.

Thanks again for all your help :innocent:

#6 lori330h

lori330h

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:03 AM

i dont know much about hamsters devolopment, but in most other animals, their testicles can drop late... almost like late bloomers.. haha.

i hope that nothing is wrong... though it would be pretty funny to bring it to the vet thinking something was wrong and have it just be a perfectly healthy BOY. lol!

#7 Haley0489

Haley0489

Baby Hamster

• 12 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:16 AM

I'm no genius when it comes to hamsters, but by the pictures you posted, it looks like your girl is a boy! :)

#8 purplekitsune

purplekitsune

Baby Hamster

• 19 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:22 AM

From what I can tell he looks like a healthy male. Vets definitely get expensive. I know where I live the charge $60. It might be worth even going into a local petland or petcetra and looking at the male hamsters so you can compare. I know the petland here has them in open cages of which you can handle them, it may be worthwhile looking, especially if it'll put your mind at ease.

#9 nutmeg6831

nutmeg6831

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:08 PM

Well i looked at this photo http://hamsterhideout.com/boardpics/sexing-male_dwarf.jpg as well as some others of male hamster "testicals" and hers is way more swollen down towards the ground when she is standing and walking.... and one big Red/Pink Lump with some lumps - not two even lumps like "balls" - inside that lump

I will see what she looks like tmrw morning...
If i do take her to the vet and it turns out she is a boy then it will deffinitly be a very expensive "I Told you So" hehe :cutie:

But i would 100% rather she is a healthy male then it be swelling or fluid build up... or worse a tumor... :guilty:

Thanks everyone... hope i have some news soon, if there is news to be had.. other then to tell you all were Right :applause:

Edited by nutmeg6831, 22 March 2008 - 12:09 PM.

#10 nutmeg6831

nutmeg6831

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:18 PM

Well P-Nut (thats her name as i never mentioned it... i got her from a mom & Pop pet store and they were out of carry home boxes, so i ended up taking her home in a plastic Peanut Butter container with wholes punched in it... She was tiny and golden brown... hence the name Peanut... which turned into P-Nut.. cuz she's just that cool :yes: )

Well thankfully she was still up at 7:30am and i went to check on her before i called the vet... so i scooped her up and flipped her over and the swelling has gone down a bit :thumbsup: not a TONE, but its now one enlarged butt, instead of a lumpy looking thing.
So in light of the "she's a he" thing, do they only get one "testical"... or can they have one go "back up" hahah cuz she went from having a big bummpy butt, so just a swollen bum area!?! :scratchchin:

ANWAYS... Fingers crossed that the swelling goes down even more and that she doesnt take a turn for the worse as the vet isnt open again untill monday (there is a 24 hospital a few hours away but its $140 just to get the animal in the door :shocked: and when i called they said "We'll take her if you absolutly can not wait untill monday..." meaning they dont know anything about pocket pets.

So all you hammy people PLEASE keep your thoughts to P-Nut :begging: (atleast P-Nut works for a girl AND a boy hehe)
cheers, Megs ♥

#11 doghamstyluv95

doghamstyluv95

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:20 PM

Those really do look like testicles. Whenever I see a male syrian hamster, their behind looks exactly like that.

#12 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,853 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:57 PM

i really see no need to bring pNut to the vet. he's a healthy
boy showing physical signs that happen to male hamsters
as they mature.

youngster hamsters are very difficult to sex (tell which
gender they are). so i'm not surprised there was
confusion about whether pNut is a boy or girl.

don't worry. he's fine!

#13 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:58 AM

Definetaly a boy, as said before. :) Also, sometimes in warm weather I read somewhere testicles become more noticable...

#14 Hammiie

Hammiie

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:01 AM

Congrats!
It's a boy!
Stupid pet shops keep getting it wrong! :angry:

#15 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:06 AM

^Yeah...I just hope no females were unintentionally impregnated by him.