Photo

How to Dry Wet Sand

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:18 AM

As the topic name says, how do you dry wet sand? So far, I'm using a hair dryer. :laughing:

But seriously. I don't want to waste electricity. So do you guys have any smarty pants ideas?

Okay, here's the backgroudn story. (It's a pretty short story XD) We were GOING to buy some play sand for teh hams to play in, but my dad's friend volunteered to drive it over because he already had a few bags in his possesion. So, a bag was sitting in his truck, waiting to be driven...AND THEN IT RAINED. So, nothing got dirty, btu teh sand got WET. Nonetheless, he drove it over to our hosue and explained the situation.

I'm nto too eager to leave the sand outside--there can be a squirrel or too to leave their, ah, "presents" in there. Some passerby cat might use it as kitty litter as well. So I came up with this (not so) brilliant idea to blow dry it! I got a tiny bit (about half of a Crittertrail bowl) and used a plastic spoon to shift it around while drying it on the hairdryer's lowest setting. It did work, but as said above, I'm nto too eager to waste electricity.

So that gets back to my current problem. ;D

#2 phll363

phll363

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:56 AM

have you tried useing the oven, then you can waste gas.

#3 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:16 PM

Well teh thing is, since my brother moved to college, we gave our toaster oven to him. The regular oven (aka the one that bakes cakes and stuff) takes up too much energy or whatever it uses.

And my dad said no to microwaving too, something about the metals in the sand are gonna mess up the microwave or something...

#4 phll363

phll363

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:24 PM

maby you could put the bag under a radiator and wait for it to dry out that way?

#5 Cyborg Ninja

Cyborg Ninja

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:47 PM

I really don't see why you don't use the oven. I kind of doubt your family is in such dire straits that they can't afford $2 worth of electricity to heat up a cookie sheet of sand. Look up on Google info about sterilizing sand in an oven. There are many people out there who do it because it's cheaper than purchasing chinchilla sand from a pet store. Otherwise, it should not take long for the sand to dry out if you lay it down thin enough in the sun. I also doubt anything is going to take a dump in it.

#6 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:01 PM

I'm not sure if you meant to do so, btu that was *kind of* rude.

Anyways, our oven wastes a lot of electricity, that's why we rarely use it. (a LOT of it...I don't know how much exactly, but it's quite a lot.) Even if it didn't waste a lot of electricity, I have over 4 gallons of sand to dry (I mean, obviously I'm not that desperate to dry it all by the next 24 hours or so, but I like getting all of things done once I get started XD) And, I WOULD put it under the sun if it weren't for teh fact that it's been raining the past two days. Plus there are a lot of bugs in our backyard due to that >_>

Oh, and can anyone clarify why you can't put sand in the microwave, or if you can, then why my dad doesn't want me to :P

#7 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:46 PM

just a gentle reminder for all parties to keep the mood friendly ;) :goodvibes:

This is the internet, where your tone is expressed only through your typing, so we need to make sure that the words we write will not mistakedly come across as unfriendly. I think all parties here are genuine in asking a question as well as offering help, so please post in the right spirit! ;D

#8 Notti

Notti

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:05 PM

not sure if this would work..

but putting it on parchment payment or foil on toppa the car's hood after it's been driven?
On toppa those old school TVs where its huge and heats up?
next to the heat escape vents on your PC?
BBQ it on Foil?

lol just random and crazy ideas... u have 4 gallons u can try lotsa stuff =D

#9 kingroo

kingroo

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:27 PM

the oven is the only way to make sure bacteria and fungus in the sand are killed

#10 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:55 AM

LOL Notti, sweet ideas :laughing:

Since I'm not in a hurry, I've decided to put cups of the sand, one by one, next to the window. Even though it's rainy it's kind of bright outside--ironic, I know--enough so that it can dry within half a day if I mix the sand around every few hours. I will be trying some of those ideas though :propeller:

#11 Cyborg Ninja

Cyborg Ninja

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:20 AM

<post content deleted by dusty>

Edited by dusty, 25 February 2008 - 01:30 PM.
Personal attack. Please remember that every member has different needs and come from various backgrounds. There is no need to impose one's perceived standards on others.