Photo

How did you pick your hamster out?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
182 replies to this topic

#151 SyrianPumpkin

SyrianPumpkin

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:20 AM

Well the reason I choose Pumpkin Is because.............

It all started after my Hamster Freddy died, I had to get another hamster, I just can't live without them. So I had ask my mom if I could get another, and she said yes, So My dad and mom drove me to PetSmart and I went straight to the hamster section and look hoping they had syrians, and I saw him, he was awake playing around in the small glass tank he came up to the glass and put his paws up and stared at me and thats when I knew he was the one and PetSmart employee came and took him out, he had a brother that was sleeping in the igloo he looked dead to me. She asked me want one do you want and I pointed to the one awake, so I tok him home and Named him Pumpkin! :lovestruck: :heartbeat:

#152 flagrl

flagrl

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:38 AM

well this hamster i was at the store getting food for my rabbit and i was looking at the hamsters and i was looking and i seen this one white hamster sleeping and he looked cute so i went back home set up my old hamster cages and went back and got him :)

#153 MsCrumby

MsCrumby

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:17 AM

My first hamster (since I was like 5 years old anyway) was Chibi, I chose her because she was absolutely adorable and came pattering over when I put my hand in. Then I wanted a sister for her to live with so I chose Chu, who was also very friendly but she's much slower/
Then when I was wandering the markets one day I saw a horrible little pet shop and Mei was tiny, she wasn't getting any food or water and she was being badly bullied by her litter mates, and when I pointed it out to the owner he just went "She'll either learn to defend herself or die then won't she". So I er, 'liberated' her and then reported them.
Then there was Cocoa, who was sweet and I thought she was a pretty colour, so I brought her home.
And the Leonard who I'm 'fostering' While he had a poorly eye but to be honest I have fallen in love and I think I'll keep him since he's happy here :veryhappy:

#154 ★PippinTheHamster★

★PippinTheHamster★

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:38 AM

I chose Pippin because her fur is like a Dalmatian pattern and I help her at the pet store and she never bit me,,,,

#155 mercgirl

mercgirl

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:25 AM

Today (hehe!) I saw the litter of five. There were two tiny ones that looked sickly and three others. The only one that nosed my fingers was the baby I took home today. The others kind of shuffled back to the corner but this little adventurous one sniffed all around my hand. :slaphappy:

#156 yuki34543

yuki34543

Baby Hamster

• 21 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:10 PM

I chose my hamsters because I orignally wanted a Syrian hamster, but after seeing the dwarf hamsters at petco, I wanted dwarfs more, the WW'S were recommended to me by a worker at petco, and when I held one of them (I don't know which one) It cleaned itself in my hands and then I just knew I had to have him ^^

#157 cheekysyrian

cheekysyrian

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

Hey my hamster is called Chico as well! Anyway, I picked him out when we were looking for hamsters and the others were attacking him. He did look like a rat from his greyish fur but then I saw his face :)

#158 Aluyasha

Aluyasha

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:58 AM

I got Hannibal from a Craigslist ad. I have had many mice and after my last mouse died I was looking on Craigslist and saw an ad for a "Teddy Bear Hamster" with cage. I decided to get him. When I arrived I noticed right away he was actually a dwarf and he came with a bare 10g. :/
I asked her where she got him and she said she also got him from Craigslist from someone who had him for 1 year but she said she did not believe that because he was too small for a adult Syrian. lol
She kept him for a few months before deciding she wanted to focus on her rats. She even admitted to me that she let him "play" lose in the front yard where once he ran into the road and had to dodge cars for 2 hours.
Obviously I had to take him! He is quite the grouch and hates being held but I love him. :)

Next time I get a hamster I will adopt again. :)

#159 SyrianPumpkin

SyrianPumpkin

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

I got Wasabi from PetSmart and he was the last one I just fell in love so I had to have him! <3

#160 HannahsHammys

HannahsHammys

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:51 AM

I picked my first hamster Sammy because he was getting big and cramped in a tiny little tank and all I wanted to do was rescue him, and when the shop owner took him out of the tank he peed on his hand and it made me want him more haha.
I picked Mercedes because she was like a tiny ball of fluff and so gorgeous, she was long haired and I just fell in love straight away.
I picked Pepper because she was the last hammy left and I'd never had a black hamster before so I just had to have her.
Finally I picked Star and Luna online from a breeder as they were what I was specifically looking for :D

Soon I'm going to be adopting another hamster from RSPCA :)

#161 bobthealien

bobthealien

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

I didn't get a choice with Dave. I wanted a hamster for Christmas and that's what I got.

For Tweek and Bloo, I was at Pet-Co and I wanted a dwarf, and preferably a winter white. When I saw Bloo sleeping in the hide and see TV in the glass cage. He was adorable!!!Posted ImageThere were three hamsters in the cage, 2 pearls and an Agouti. I chose Tweek and Bloo because Bloo was adorable, and I did NOT want the other pearl. The other pearl was bigger, and he had bug eyes, which I personally did not like, and he looked sick (like you look at him and he doesn't show symptoms, but you just feel like he's sick) So then the lady came and put a pearl in a box, but she put Bugeyes in there and so I made her put him back in. She emptied the hide and see TV into a box and closed it up. Then she moved the igloo, and scooped up Tweek. We then took them home and put them in the cage. Bloo is definately nicer, and Tweek (as his name is implied ((from south park)) is shy and a little timid and skittish. Bloo(Posted Image) tries his very best to get in my hand when it is in the cage, and Tweek(Agouti) pees when he is scared...Posted Image

#162 emilystar

emilystar

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:03 AM

I've been wanting a small pet for years. First it was chinchillas, but when I came to terms of their temperature requirement (below 70*f!) I moved on to sugar gliders. I soon realized that sugar gliders were a lot of work and at first I was ready to take it on but then I sat down and thought about it and it's just not practical for my life right now. (Although I WILL get a pair in the future once I'm on my own and done with college with a steady job) They for 1) very expensive and 2) extremely time consuming. I'm still in high school and I didn't have a job (although I will in the next month or 2) so there was no way I would have that kind of time and money. So I started researching more and realized I needed something with a shorter lifespan because I did not want to end up having to live away from home and not have the money for it, or an apartment that did not allow pets. So I quickly settled on hamsters. I did research for about 3 months on this site before I registered a few days before I actually got Poptart. It took forever to convince my parents but eventually they gave in.
There's only one store I could find that sold Syrians so I called 2 times making sure they had them in before we went. Once we got there the manager said they were not being sold until the next day because they just got them in. Once we told him we were told twice they were being sold today and he said we could have one *only* if we got wet tail drops with it. When we walked up to the cage one of them came out looked at us and promptly went to the food bowl, curled up, and went to sleep. The manager stuck his hand under the pile of hamsters in the corner and lifted up to wake them up and spread them out. Most of them was super tiny and one definitively had wet tail that I could see. I quickly said I wanted to hold the one in the food bowl because I didn't want one that had been cuddling with the sick hamster and he lifted her up. She was a giant compared to the other ones and had caramel colored streaks in black hair. He handed her to me and she just sat there sniffing the air and my hand, not even attempting to bite. I chose her immediately and took her home. She proved to be a sweet heart and a trouble maker. I still wonder if that poor sick hamster at the store is alright though.

Sorry this was so long :sorry:

#163 Elyse

Elyse

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

I've always loved rodent animals especially when I was in 3rd grade and we had Gerbils as the class pets; my first rodent pet was a Gerbil that I named Cindy Lou Who; once she past on I didn't want anymore rodent pets because of the way my parents treated her and the type of tank she was kept in. I fell out of love with rodent pets until my early 20s were I started loving the rodent pets again; I went over to the small owned pet store near my house and I took a shine to a black hamster that was really feisty. She sniffed me and tried to escape which I expected she never made an attempt to bite me not once; after that I decided to take her home with me. From that day forward Serenity has been one of the best pets I've ever had and I thank the store I went to for keeping their promise on having the sweetest teddy bear hamsters.

#164 L&B's Mama

L&B's Mama

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

I picked Bolt(may she rest in peace) because when the pet shop guy opened the cage she was climbing on top of all the other hamsters as if to say "pick me!" And my boyfriend picked Lucy, because he said she looked like she had a big butt. Yeah turned out she was pregnant :laughing:

#165 Tangerine

Tangerine

Baby Hamster

• 5 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

Well after my bird died, I was super upset and since I had been asking for a hamster since last year, my parents finally agreed to get me one. But then I decided that instead of a hammy I wanted a mouse! So I did tons of research about mice and was positive I wanted to get one. When I got to the petstore it turns out they didn't sell them! I was super sad, and then I saw Alfonzo. He was inside his food bowl stuffing his cheeks with food. As soon as I saw him I fell in love. I didn't even look at the other hamster. I knew I wanted him. I'm so glad I got him! I love him to bits! And that little guy is very spoiled :)