Photo

Two-level hamster cages?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Poptarts

Poptarts

Baby Hamster

• 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:25 AM

I've been looking to expand my two syrians cages (they're housed separately, of course). Anyways, at first I planned to get three new Habittrail cages and connect two of together for one and then attach another one to my other hamster's Habitrail...but I don't really have of enough room to go wider. So I was looking to go up and found this cage

http://www.petco.com/product/11499/Super-P...rTrail-Two.aspx

However, I'm scared it might be dangerous for my hamsters. Is it, if they climb to the top and fall? I don't believe I can get it for one of them who likes to climb to the top of his current cage and jump off, but I'm not so sure about my other one..... What do you think? Also I was looking at these two cages for the one who likes to jump...have you had a good experience with these two?:

http://www.petco.com/product/100111/SAM-He...d-Traveler.aspx

Okay, this also has levels but I don't think it's too tall. Do you think it would be dangerous also?

And then this one:

http://www.petco.com/product/11007/Super-P...terTrail-X.aspx

But I'm a bit wary about the slide and wheel. What do you guys think? :huh:

Edited by Poptarts, 14 January 2008 - 07:27 AM.

#2 kingroo

kingroo

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:38 AM

i dont care for either to be honest... i dont know if you can get ur hands on the Imac range but my friend has 3 of them stacked and theyre great!

#3 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:43 AM

I think they're fine, as long as you connect them with the Habitrail. ;) However if you can, put the levels as close to the bottom as you can. The 2nd seems too tall though. And for all, you need to replace the wheel with a large one. I don't think either of them has enough room to house an 8" Comfort Wheel. (Syrians need at least 8")
And, for the Crittertrail, if you do manage to get a large wheel in there, bear in mind that the hamster might want to climb on top of the wheel. They might smash their nose against the other side! Not safe.

You can also opt for a bin/tank cage, they're large enough that you only need 1 to house a Syrian, plus they're cheap, and you can see your hamster from most angles.

Edited by plushiehamsta, 14 January 2008 - 07:44 AM.

#4 Poptarts

Poptarts

Baby Hamster

• 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:49 AM

Oh, that's okay. What's the Imac Range...

Also...I forgot to add pictures of my hamsters if that will help:

The one who doesn't jump:

Posted Image

The one that jumps (he is a syrian, the previous one's son, but he isn't the runt I talked about in my last post he's one of the bigger ones but he hasn't grown too much past the look of a four-week old hamster):

Posted Image '

Okay, thanks...I thought it was a bit too tall, too. I'm going to look into bin cages also. I'm just looking through my options at the moment.

Edited by Poptarts, 14 January 2008 - 07:53 AM.

#5 kingroo

kingroo

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:00 AM

Posted Image

this model is the fantasy from the imac range... its pretty big, probs measuring 50cmx30cm and they're stackable too!

#6 PoptartShop

PoptartShop

Angelic Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 12,115 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:02 AM

Wow, you have almost the same account name as me.
I hope people don't get us mixed up, LOL!

Anyway, the CT is very cheap & doesn't last long; the SAM cage is OK but you'd have to remove the runged wheel. ;)
IMACs are very good cages (like above) but they aren't sold in the USA as far as I'm concerned. :(
A 20gl long tank or a bin cage is also a good idea.

#7 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,345 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:05 AM

I think the OP is from America though, am I correct? Imacs are only sold in the UK :(

I would highly recommend staying away from anything with tubes for Syrians, especially bubble tubes. Bin cages, aquarium tanks, and any long, 1 level, cage is great. You can even add a level in a bin cage or aquarium that is a safe height. I made a wood one and it's in my tank right now :)

#8 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:10 AM

Lol, yeah PoptartShop, I was thikning "but...PTS has bin cages!!! and she should know by now, having over 6,000 pos--oh..."

Edited by plushiehamsta, 14 January 2008 - 08:11 AM.

#9 kingroo

kingroo

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:13 AM

nearly 7'000 ;) and knowing poptartshop like i do, we can't even call her a geek for it :P she just loves aminals :P

#10 PoptartShop

PoptartShop

Angelic Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 12,115 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:22 AM

^LOL!!! :laughing: Yeah, exactly! At first I was like, wait, I didn't post that?

Anyway, that's another thing; HH made a good point! :D Syrians & bubble-tubes do not mix; SAM tubes are good though, they are bigger. :) Tube cages are a bit annoying to clean, anyway. You can never go wrong with a nice tank or bin! (I use bins).

#11 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,345 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:22 AM

Here's an example of a level you could build to put in a bin cage or tank. I just bought 4 small squares of unfinished wood at a craft store and also a long wooden piece for the level, glued it together with Elmer's Glue, and put a base on it so it wouldn't tip over.

Posted Image

Different week from top view:

Posted Image
(those are food pieces scattered on the top. I covered the wood with cardboard so it wouldn't get dirty.

:) :) It's about 5 inches wide by 13-14 inches long. She loves climbing on it, and sleeping under it. My mom calls it her "catwalk runway" :laughing:

Edited by HoppingHammy, 14 January 2008 - 08:25 AM.

#12 peggy

peggy

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:35 PM

I have a level in an aquarium too.
Posted Image
I've used branches as legs and painted the level with a nontoxic paint, so it's able to clean.

#13 phll363

phll363

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:44 PM

im sure ive seen a simila cage to the imac fantasy
clicky

this is it i think ?

i made a leval in a bin cage useing a pastic tuper wear container you can see it if you look in the how to mae a bin cage thread.

#14 livs

livs

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:51 AM

Two of my hamsters have the Crittertrail Two (the first link you posted.) They jump off the shelf things by themselves and climb up the wall to get on them, they sometimes use the small tubes but not usually. And they never get hurt either. I don't like Crittertrail cages though, they break so easily and are just a pain to clean. Which is why I'm probably going to make some bin cages. =)