Photo

My hamster is too thin...:(

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Hina

Hina

Baby Hamster

• 7 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:39 AM

I just got back from a trip and my hamsters were being taken care of by a close friend, unfortunately when I got back I noticed one of them (Her name is "The President") was very very very very thin. I can see and feel her bones and ribs. Her eyes are poofy, and I think her fur is either unkept or maybe falling off on her head. I've researched a bit, and she doesn't seem to have any tumors, and she hasn't eaten anything other than basic hamster food (prepackaged hamster mix). She's about a year and 5months, but my other hamster ("Cheerio"), her sister, is the same age and completely healthy. I think it's diarreah because her bottom is always wet now...BUT...Every website says if she's got diarreah then it should fix itself after feeding her dry foods only. It's been almost a week, she's still getting thinner, what do I do??? :worried: She eats ALOT she is VERY active and she doesn't seem to have ANYTHING wrong except that she's deathly skinny :sorry:

Please help!

#2 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,349 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:06 AM

I'm sorry I am not knowledgeable at ALL in this area. My only thought to fatten her up would be a large amount of nuts and seeds, but you'd better let someone else who is more knowledgeable in this area (MissPixy?) come along.

I hope your little one will be ok.

#3 Ospray

Ospray

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:57 AM

If her bottom is wet all the time, could it be wet tail? Either way I think she needs to get to a vet soon.

#4 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:10 AM

Aare they Syrian hamsters? If so it could be that she was stressed by the moving back and forth between the two houses. Syrians can get wet tail like that so it's a possibility.

#5 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,821 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:55 AM

have you checked her teeth? if she's lost a tooth or one broke, her other teeth could've grown in misaligned, making it really difficult for her to eat..

is she actually eating, or just pouching the food? do you see her shelling and then eating sunflower seeds?

#6 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,349 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:18 PM

^I didn't think about teeth. Good point.

I was thinking about this and was wondering if adding a little protein might help too. Maybe a small piece of cheese, plain-cooked chicken meat, plain no-sugar yogurt, etc.

Just another thought I had. :) But yeah, she might be stressed going back and forth between the houses. Do you know if your friend tried to pick her up too much, or wake her up when she's sleeping? All these things add stress. :(

#7 matty yates

matty yates

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:08 PM

I would recomend dry toast to fattern her up,and consult the vet :)

#8 STACE//BAM

STACE//BAM

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 945 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:47 AM

I would defo take the hamster to the vets :doctor: However, porridge oats are what fixed my boy up when he got diarrehoa
x

#9 jamesrockroll

jamesrockroll

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 640 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:03 AM

It could be something to do with the stress of moving around
Or it could be something to do with her teeth
But I would suggest taking her to the vets, for a professional judgement.
I hope everything turns out alright!

#10 Sib

Sib

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:30 AM

MissPixy is right your hamster could of hurt/broke its tooth and it can't eat because it is causing it pain.
Maybe you should take it to the vets they would beable to sort the problem out well.
Hope your hamster gets well soon.

#11 Hina

Hina

Baby Hamster

• 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:13 AM

To everyone (since there were a lot of comments, thank you for your help so far!!)

-She is eating, we gave her a hamster treat (it's supposed to have minerals or something) and she ate it right away.
-If it were wet tail, wouldn't she be dead by now (knock on wood)? Plus, signs of wet tail include laziness, and she isn't sleeping more than usual.
-She wasn't moved to my friends house (sorry, I should have added that) She was kept in my house, my friend came over to feed/water/change the bedding. ^^' And shes a Golden hamster (I think that's what they're called?)
-Is feeding her cheese,oatmeal (raw) and dry toast a good idea?

Her ears are always stuck to her head (not stuck, but she won't put them up like normal hamsters do).
I thought maybe I should mention that a while ago...in September I think, she was bitten really badly by my other hamster (which is why they have separate cages now) It was a really bad bite, her fur was ripped off on her neck and there was some bleeding....could she have an infection? But that was so long ago...

Also...I can't take her to a vet because we don't have the money....sorry guys...

Edited by Hina, 12 January 2008 - 08:14 AM.

#12 superslug

superslug

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:40 AM

Do you have an RSPCA centre near you? They are pretty good as they charge according to your personal means... so it may not cost as much as a regular vet... (although when I went to a vet recently it was only £20, including the medication)... have a look around and you can find a good one that doesn't charge a lot :)

#13 kingroo

kingroo

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:36 AM

I would try and avoid the whole seeds and nuts things to fatten her up... they contain too much fat. I would maybes try some fresh cooked chicken (not processed, too much salt and preservatives). My hams love it and its all good clean protein to build the right sort of bulk. Its a slower result, but a more effective and healthier one... and if she's more lively, her usual dry mix and a few live small crickets would spice things up... u can get them reptile shops or mail order and only cos a few bucks

The most important thing to remember is fattening her up with Fats is not healthy for her, but building muscle bulk via protein is

#14 Hina

Hina

Baby Hamster

• 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:09 PM

I think it's too late, I don't think it was just diarreah (and I don't know how she could have gotten it...) because I found her curled up in a ball under the wheel, she's so cold, I think she went under there to die. We said our goodbyes and put her near the the portable heater and we're going to see if she makes it to tomorrow (which I doubt, since I think she knew she was ready to go...). Anyway, under her bum (she was curled up really tight, but she moved a bit, so I checked) she had diarreah, but also a small really red bump under her, and it was red all around the area....I don't know if she just irritated the spot by cleaning it, or if it's just her privates, or a UTI or..something.

We waited too long, we should have taken her to the vet, we killed her. I don't know if she'll make it.

#15 kingroo

kingroo

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:15 PM

I think it's too late, I don't think it was just diarreah (and I don't know how she could have gotten it...) because I found her curled up in a ball under the wheel, she's so cold, I think she went under there to die. We said our goodbyes and put her near the the portable heater and we're going to see if she makes it to tomorrow (which I doubt, since I think she knew she was ready to go...). Anyway, under her bum (she was curled up really tight, but she moved a bit, so I checked) she had diarreah, but also a small really red bump under her, and it was red all around the area....I don't know if she just irritated the spot by cleaning it, or if it's just her privates, or a UTI or..something.

We waited too long, we should have taken her to the vet, we killed her. I don't know if she'll make it.

heres hoping she makes it