Photo

Petshop at <edited>

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 kleve

kleve

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:56 PM

The petshop at <hidden> has always been my venue to get pets and supplies since young but it has been disappointing these days. I've passed by the shop today and realised they had atually placed a large white syrian in the same tank with a dozen of WW. The other tanks also looked dirty and small with dozens and dozens of WW cramped inside. Some looked as if they are near death and full of wounds.

#2 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 07:07 PM

can u feedback nicely to the petstore not to house syrian with dwarfs?

#3 Demonical~Angel

Demonical~Angel

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:44 AM

It is the one that sell lot of rat or gerbil???
I been there yesterday.. And guess what i saw..
One of the baby rat or gerbil is so injure that it had already loss all his/her hair..
And you know the size of the tank they keep the hamster in right??
They using the same size tank to keep 3 gineune pig in one tank!!
I wanna go and tell the owner but he give me the super fierce look when he saw him (i wonder why)..

#4 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:06 PM

how about reporting anonymously to ava/spca? I think the former got more power...

#5 shy88devil

shy88devil

Baby Hamster

• 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:30 PM

tat shop put his hamster veri long like tat liao le ... u can see most of his hamster conditon are veri bad .. onli those newcomers still quite good onli ..

#6 aki

aki

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:20 PM

it is e one near ngee an sec?? i pass by a lot of times when i go higher chinese class. their hamster condition is very bad, i can see a lot of hamster squezze in one tank, and mostly is heavly injured with blood. but there sell cheaper food stuffs. i still think pet lovers center have e best conditions for hamsters

#7 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:52 PM

hey, u don't have to confront the shop owner for your personal safety but if u pass by the shop and see the poor conditions again, please report to AVA on the spot so that they can send officers down for a surprise visit. The AVA is an authoritative body and they can take action such as fining the shop, or confiscating their livestock. Thanks a lot for helping to report unethical pet shops/breeders!!

Contact info from AVA website:

Animal welfare / cruelty to animal
[email protected]

#8 aki

aki

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:54 AM

nxt time i will do tat when i pass by e shop. but most pet shop in singapore (those not company based) has very bad conditions for hamsters. they don't even separate female n male hamster even babies!!! what if they got pregant at 3 weeks old???? all pet shop seems to do tat expect pet lovers centre, so even though they seems expansive, but their goods n animals are wroth to buy!!

#9 Demonical~Angel

Demonical~Angel

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:35 AM

! what if they got pregant at 3 weeks old????

Sorry but i need to say this..
Please do more research as hamster CAN'T get pregant when they are 3 weeks old.. They will only start to become sexually active when they reach 3 month old.

#10 EvaNiteX

EvaNiteX

Baby Hamster

• 20 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:46 AM

Oh, i knw of tat pet store. I bought my first pair there. I was shocked by the way they handle the lil hammies when he was searchin two for me.
I remembered the other cage has one dead lil hammie and the other hammies was devourin it. Its kindda sick and i told the uncle there, he like nv say anything dehx... Really sad. =(
And wats worst is tat, the hammies arent old. I give a guess they are around 4~ weeks.

#11 chipmon

chipmon

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:28 AM

Sorry but i need to say this..
Please do more research as hamster CAN'T get pregant when they are 3 weeks old.. They will only start to become sexually active when they reach 3 month old.

3 months old? may i ask which breed are you referring to?

for WWs/campbells, they can mate at the earliest age of 4 weeks old and onwards.
for robos, they can mate at the earliest age of 4 months old and onwards.
for syrians, they can mate at the earliest age of 4 weeks old and onwards.

the above is just an estimation based on average mating age. i wont say it is IMPOSSIBLE for them to mate earlier than the above age :)

#12 Demonical~Angel

Demonical~Angel

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:50 AM

3 months old? may i ask which breed are you referring to?

for WWs/campbells, they can mate at the earliest age of 4 weeks old and onwards.
for robos, they can mate at the earliest age of 4 months old and onwards.
for syrians, they can mate at the earliest age of 4 weeks old and onwards.

the above is just an estimation based on average mating age. i wont say it is IMPOSSIBLE for them to mate earlier than the above age :)

I Breed Winter White.. And from my research they will only start breeding after 3 month old.. And i can also prove it.. i try putting a male and a female together when they are 3 week old and the female only give birth after 3 month..

Sorry of off topic..

#13 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:12 PM

I Breed Winter White.. And from my research they will only start breeding after 3 month old.. And i can also prove it.. i try putting a male and a female together when they are 3 week old and the female only give birth after 3 month..

Sorry of off topic..

actually, my past campbells ever mated at roughly 4 weeks old (possibly a bit earlier). They were well fed and healthy ... anyway it was an accidental litter and I would advise not breeding them when they are still so young though... hence that's the importance of separating different sexes as soon as possible :)

#14 Demonical~Angel

Demonical~Angel

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:52 PM

LOL...
I know...
I dont really know the breeding age of campbell and syrian as i only breed winter white..
I dont anyhow breed them.. But one importance thing is that we should not be breed them for the first time after they are 6 month old. Cause that might cause death to the mother and the babies.. But its fine to have 2nd batch of baby after 6 month old. Normally i breed my 1st baby when they are about 4-5 month old.. :)

#15 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:20 PM

I think ww will be sexually matured (4 weeks) at abt the same time as campbells ;)

Ya, I agree not to breed after the female turns 6 months old, actually I won't even it's her 2nd litter because the mum, though experienced, will take longer to recuperate and moreover, she may be tired from the earlier birth =x