Photo

What sound do dwarf hamsters make?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chocolate Cake

Chocolate Cake

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:48 AM

Is it the same as the strange squeal Syrian hamsters make? Or something altogether different? I've never heard any sound from a dwarf hamster, but I would think they can make something.

-CC

#2 jamesrockroll

jamesrockroll

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 640 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:03 AM

They make a "Moo Moo" Sound
LOL Kidding on ;)
I think it's just the same noise as any Hamster
Maybe a bit higher pitched?

#3 Pauladex16

Pauladex16

Veteran Hamster

• Banned
  • 646 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:08 AM

I've only heard them squeak when my old robo's were fighting... and it sounded like a meerkat when it's fighting if that helps...? Oh and if you put them up to your ear they sound like any other hamster...

#4 pfullepink

pfullepink

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:38 AM

My 3 week old WW is very vocal. Even while still in the petshop, he is one which screams alot. Not really scream.. sort of squeak but very high-pitched. He squeaked one time when i tried to hand feed a sunflowerseed but it fall instead on him! hehe He also made a sharp sound ( really like screaming) when i checked how he is doin' in his new found egg box home. I intend that egg box only as a place like labyrinth for him to explore but he lived there instead. I also have 3 Syrians but they are calmer compared to Kepps.

#5 peggy

peggy

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:34 PM

One of my Winter Whites squeaked at first; she was a bit agressive and scared so this is why.

#6 mollldoll

mollldoll

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 03:04 AM

My dwarfs make allot of noises my winter white used to be very vocal and kinda squealed at me even though she happily sits on my hand - she is in no way aggressive and is a very friendly hamster

My lone female campells is a squealer - she screams in her cage by herself though is in no apparent pain and is in perfect health (she has done this since we got her), she is however very aggressive which is strange as her sisters are all friendly hams.

The two campells girls who live together make little noises sometimes - like a small breath but abit louder.

My robos make hardly any noises though my boy sometimes squeals if i have to pick him up.

I guess the best way i could describe the way most of the sounds actually sound is if you suck air in through your teeth.

#7 Shasta

Shasta

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 04:22 AM

I have noticed that when they are scared, Campbell's Russian Dwarfs make a high-pitched squeak. One of my dwarfs even makes a clicking, squeaking sound when she's scared. What's really neat is that, when you hold a dwarf to your ear, it will "whisper" to you.

However, the one Syrian Hamster I had almost never made any noise, besides the occasional squeak when she was scared after I first brought her home.

#8 HammieMother666

HammieMother666

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:51 AM

For me it is my Syrian who is the quiet one, I don't think I've ever heard a sound from Kahuna, other than the occasional clicking before she gnaws her bars.
I have 2 chinese hams, they both like to make different noises, and lots of it.

Smudge chatters away constantly to me and when I talk back he loves it, he waits until I have finished and then continues to chatter, like a little conversation that I really don't understand but wish I could.

Stitch on the other hand is a squeaker, it's quite a high pitched tiny squeak, akin to that of a cartoon mouse. He specifically likes to squeak for attention, when I walk past his cage and don't say anything to him he squeaks as though to tell me off for my ignorance.

#9 Meowmies

Meowmies

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Writer Team
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:07 AM

I have never owned a Syrian, so I can't say I know what they sound like, but my three dwarfs have made various noises.

They barely ever make any noise but here are some:
- When Padgett was younger if he was in his cage and was really happy, like if I gave him a peanut and he was in a particularly good mood that day, he would run to his favourite corner and roll around making a strange fairly quiet guinea-pig like noise. He only did it a handful of times, but he just seemed so full of glee somehow. My other two dwarfs haven't ever done this.
- Once when Padgett was trying to steal food from Peppin's mouth, Peppin let out a very short but quite loud squeek that sounded almost exactly like a squeeky rubber duck! It didn't sound like it was actually from a real animal at all.
- Once when I took Padgett out while he was still quite tired and just wanted to be left alone and then clipped his nails (which he hates), he was very annoyed at me - so he made a clicking noise.
- When Pompadour went to the vets I opened the travel cage and she put her hand in - but before she even got close to him he literally screamed at her! A loud reasonably long screamy squeek. Didn't think a hamster could have made a noise like that either!

When you old them to your ears sometimes I hear the little whispery noises too, they are cute.