Photo

Tube Full Of Bedding

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 FattyBear

FattyBear

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:28 AM

I have the CritterTrail One with the little yellow tube on the side that connects to the "comfort zone/petting area". My hamster keeps stuffing the tube with bedding and getting stuck in the comfort zone. But, everytime I knock the bedding out of the tub she runs down to the first floor and stuffs it again really quick, then squeezes up through the bedding in the tube and hangs out on the second floor. I don't want her to get stuck, but she won't let me destroy her "masterpiece", LOL.
HELP! Any advice?

#2 Absence

Absence

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:02 AM

What kind of hamster is she? Either way that cage is way too small... it's nearly half of what's generally considered minimum size (30 x 12 x 12 inches). I'd buy another one (not necessarily a Crittertrail One; personally if I ever bought any sort of plastic cage I'd get a Crittertrail Outlook. Nice and roomy for a plastic cage, with barely any bars to chew or knock bedding out of), or get a 20 gallon long tank or big bin cage. My first hamster liked to stuff bedding into tubes sometimes, back when I had an old SAM cage when I was young, but I've heard of hamsters clogging the ventilation holes in the tubes with bedding and suffocating to death :( I'm not really sure if there's any way you can prevent it, unless you bought a tank or bin. But I think that if you connected another Crittertrail she'd like the roominess more and make her nest somewhere else. Does she have a hideout in her cage to sleep in? If not, that's probably why she's going up into the 'petting zone' to sleep, because of how enclosed it is.

Edited by Absence, 17 July 2007 - 06:07 AM.

#3 dogma

dogma

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:11 AM

I agree, get another cage to add onto it. I have two habitrails connected and that's definitely the minimum, one would definitely not be enough room.
As for your issue... I'm not so sure what you can do...

#4 FattyBear

FattyBear

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:32 AM

Thanks for the tips! I am going to add another cage onto the one I have already. I am glad I found out that this one was too small. As for the type of hamster she is, I think that she is syrian. The pet shop I bought her at sold her as a "female short hair" and she is medium sized, very active and very friendly. I was thinking this morning that the cage might be a little too small for her because she is a very active hamster.
I had bought a little wooden hamster house for her to hide in, but I need to exchange it for a bigger 1 because she is too big for it and wont go in it. Any ideas on good hamster hiding houses?
Also, off topic, but does anyone know how I can find out the age of my hamster?

#5 Absence

Absence

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:56 AM

Awesome! I'm glad that you're prepared to buy another :D

Most people, including me, use plastic Igloos for their hams. They're colored and semi-transparent, and easy to clean too, unlike wooden houses which absorb... erm, messes ;)

For what breed she is, you could always take a look at the Breeds section on the main site. Just browse around the different sections and see which one looks most like your ham :)

As for the age, well... I don't think there's really a way you can tell for certain. However, if she turns out to be a Syrian and you consider her medium-sized, then she's probably still pretty young. Most pet shops sell hamsters between 5 and 8 weeks old. I think the only way you could know the exact date of birth is if you talked to the person who bred her. The pet shops probably have no idea of their animals' exact ages.

Hope I helped!

#6 _clairexbear

_clairexbear

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:52 AM

You mean an age calculator? You should search "hamster age calculator" on google.

#7 RodentQueen

RodentQueen

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:16 AM

What kind of hamster is she? Either way that cage is way too small... it's nearly half of what's generally considered minimum size (30 x 12 x 12 inches). I'd buy another one (not necessarily a Crittertrail One; personally if I ever bought any sort of plastic cage I'd get a Crittertrail Outlook. Nice and roomy for a plastic cage, with barely any bars to chew or knock bedding out of), or get a 20 gallon long tank or big bin cage. My first hamster liked to stuff bedding into tubes sometimes, back when I had an old SAM cage when I was young, but I've heard of hamsters clogging the ventilation holes in the tubes with bedding and suffocating to death :( I'm not really sure if there's any way you can prevent it, unless you bought a tank or bin. But I think that if you connected another Crittertrail she'd like the roominess more and make her nest somewhere else. Does she have a hideout in her cage to sleep in? If not, that's probably why she's going up into the 'petting zone' to sleep, because of how enclosed it is.

Actually, a Crittertrail could be fine for a dwarf. I had a dwarfie live in a Crittertrail one for a while and he didn't mind. The cage he's in now isn't much bigger. It might even be smaller. But it's much too small for a Syrian.

Also, the petting zone has nothing to with cage size. Hamsters like it because they like to hide in it. I have 5 cts. My Syrian lives in all of them currently. She used to go in the petting zone and stay there until I disconnected it (she peed in it and it was disgusting)

#8 Absence

Absence

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:21 AM

No, most here (including myself) still think a cage that size is too small even for a dwarf. While dwarves are smaller, they're still more active and thus require almost as much space as a Syrian.

Also, you misunderstood what I said about the petting zone ;) By 'enclosed', I mean the petting zone is enclosed. Not the entire cage. The petting zone must feel like an igloo to her, with a roof over her head and walls around her, only much, much smaller.

#9 dogma

dogma

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:38 AM

A coloured plastic hut is what is often used. If she is too big for the hut you bought, she's likely a syrian as dwarfs are often not too big for things.
As for the age, since she's from a pet store, likely 6-8 weeks or older.

Actually, a Crittertrail could be fine for a dwarf. I had a dwarfie live in a Crittertrail one for a while and he didn't mind. The cage he's in now isn't much bigger. It might even be smaller. But it's much too small for a Syrian.

Also, the petting zone has nothing to with cage size. Hamsters like it because they like to hide in it. I have 5 cts. My Syrian lives in all of them currently. She used to go in the petting zone and stay there until I disconnected it (she peed in it and it was disgusting)

It doesn't matter if it's a dwarf or syrian... one tiny store bought cage is too small...

#10 DolphinDreamer

DolphinDreamer

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:21 PM

My sisters old hamster used to do that tube stuffing thing too. It was really goofy. Finally her hamster stoped stuffing the tube with bedding.

#11 emzylou07

emzylou07

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:52 PM

Annoys me how someone asks for help and gets bombarded about their cage, or other stuff. One mention of it is fine, but to go on is a bit excessive...

Anyway..... Never had this problem with Buster in his cage, although in his 'toy box' (Box i place him in when cleaning out cage) he does it all the time. Its cute! I'm not sure how you could stop it - maybe your hammy will stop once there is a house there she can fit in? I tend to find, like mentioned above, that the plastic houses are the best. Mine is a house, with a roof and has a window and door. Very cute lol!

#12 FattyBear

FattyBear

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:06 AM

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I am going to go out tommorow and get another critter trail, but im going to get the bigger version of this one, and add it on with a tube. im also going to get one of the igloos for her to hide in, and hopefully she will stop going up in the petting zone and getting trapped. when i woke up this morning she had stuffed her tube again and had made a nest on one side of the petting zone and a stock pile of food on the other side. LOL. it looked like she was busy all night!

#13 Trumpette

Trumpette

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:25 PM

My hamster... sort of did this. I used to have a crittertrail dazzle, and there was a "look out" that she loved to sleep in. She would take bedding and food up there... she wouldn't intentionally clog the tube, but it was such a small area that she would move around and knock bedding down the tube until it clogged. My main concern was she would either dehydrate or get sick from peeing, eating and sleeping in the same place if in there for too long. It was a real pain to clean the tube, and with the design of the cage, I couldn't remove the piece, so I ended up clogging it myself (with a squished toilet paper tube) so she would stay down in the lower part. I felt really bad about doing this as the cage was so small for a syrian (she's in a bin cage now), but I didn't want her to keep trapping herself in the lookout! Since you plan to keep the cage, I really don't know what advice I can give to you. I hope she stops trapping herself, but if she isn't doing it on purpose like Stevie was, then she might not learn to not do it, unless she simply spends less time in there. Hopefully getting her a decent sized home to live in will solve it! :D Good luck!

#14 FattyBear

FattyBear

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:19 AM

i think i will stuff it like u had done so that she cant go up there anymore. this could be my temporary fix until i get my new cage. she is intentionally doing it, because she brought a stock pile of food to the 2nd level then stuffed the tube. and when i would stick my finger up the tube to unclog it she would run over and try to stop me. when i got all the bedding out of the tube she would run down to the 1st level and stuff it again really quick.
i am going to get rid of the critter trail cage all together instead of adding on to it. she just looks like she would be too big even with an add on because shes pretty big for a baby. and it looks like she is about to outgrow the tubes already. so i want to get a cage i saw at petsmart,
Posted Image
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_det...965743&Ne=2
if anyone could give opinions on this cage. it seems so nice and roomy for her i would like to have a large cage for her.

oh by the way, someone on the petsmart site had commented on the fact that the wheel was useless in this cage, so i am hoping that i could replace it with another wheel. does anyone know any good wheels for a cage like this? does the wodent wheel connect to cages like this?

Posted Image
actual size i want to get

#15 Absence

Absence

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:50 AM

I don't really recommend that cage because of the wire ladders and levels. You'd have to cover them all up with cardboard or something, since a hamster's foot can get caught and twisted or broken if it slips through the bars :( And the spaciousness of a cage is measured by its floorspace, not how many levels it has. I'd look for a nice, long wire cage (check out some of the rat cages maybe, they could be okay depending on how far apart the bar spacing is), or go with a 20 gallon long aquarium tank.