Photo

How do I know if my hamster is blind?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 cirroades

cirroades

Baby Hamster

• 44 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 05:15 PM

Hi!

My ww suffered an eye injury probably due to a fight. It was a bite very close to her eye. I think it must had been very uncomfortable for her so she kept rubbing and scratching the eye. When I discovered her, her eye was already very swollen, red and raw around the eye. She couldn't open her eye very big as a result.

I applied antibiotic ointment (for eye and ear infection) on the wound but that caused her to scratch it even more, such that there was a tear at the corner of the eye. I notice that normal hamsters have this black lining around the inner eyelid, pretty much like eye liner. For my poor hamster, one segment of the black lining came off due to the rubbing I think.

Her eyeball looked normal. It has been a week already, the swelling had gone down but the wound at the corner of the eye is still there. Her injured eye is still slightly smaller than the other.

Now, how can I tell if her eyesight has been affected by the injury? How I can know if she's even blinded in that eye? :worried:

Any advice? Thank you!!

#2 aerodynamics

aerodynamics

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 06:03 PM

i suggest you bring your hamster to the vet quickly.
dun delay, as it might cause more discomfort to your hammy.

#3 sharma

sharma

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 01:34 AM

hi cirroades ~

not quite sure how to tell if your hamster is blinded a a result of the fight. i just know that for some eye injuries it is recommended to rinse the eye with a plain saline solution, such as for contact lens wearers.

hope she feels better! :valentine:

#4 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,779 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 07:51 AM

i'm not sure exactly what "antibiotic ointment" you used that was okay for both ears and eyes? can you tell me what you used? i'm not familiar with an ointment that's used for both ears and eyes. ears are considered topical, even inside the ear because you're still dealing with a skin surface. the eye is different; you're dealing with the cornea and other, basically exposed, non-skin surfaces.

i really would recommend a vet visit because if her other eye is still smaller, then she could be in great pain. there is still the possibility of infection because hamster's nails are into poop, urine, everything, so when she scratches her eye she could be digging infectious matter into it.

to tell if she was made blind from this, you'd have to experiment with that side of her, using your finger to go near her and see if she reacts... the vet can do an eye exam and tell you, as well.

#5 munchi

munchi

Baby Hamster

• 28 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 11:30 AM

My friends Robo is blind. We don't really know how or why but Nugget (her hamster) has light creamy blue eyes. I think they're called cataracts or something. I'm not sure. But don't worry about hamsters that are blind. Nugget is just fine. She can do anything a normal hamster can do when shes in familiar territory. In fact, Acorn (her "normal" roomate) follows Nugget instead of the other way around.