Photo

U.S. | Canada | etc. rodent veterinary database

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,958 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:38 PM

i've posted this link so many times in response to members not knowing where to bring their hamsters for qualified veterinary care. this link, to the rat and mouse club of america's veterinary database, is the one i like the most because 1) the vets are listed through that group's members' recommendations, and 2) if a vet is competent with mice and rats, then they certainly know the basics of treating hamsters.

the list is organized alphabetically, and includes some random listings for canada, the U.K. and i believe one or two other countries as well.
here's the link:

rat and mouse club of america's veterinary database

btw, if you have your own vet you'd like to add to their list, please do! i know i've added my vet :sly: .

Edited by missPixy, 16 May 2007 - 10:42 PM.

#2 dogma

dogma

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:31 AM

Nothing in my area. Go figure. Also kinda surprising since I do live in the capital of the country...

#3 tickles

tickles

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:08 AM

Thanks miss Pixie :veryhappy:

I think this is more of a US of America list, that's why Canada and UK references are a bit sparce :biggrin:

I think I might add a couple of the Glasgow vets I've visited, although I have yet to be impressed by a rodent treatment I've received anywhere... :scratchchin:

#4 BUSYGIRL

BUSYGIRL

Baby Hamster

• 9 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for the list misspixy, but even living where there should be at least one .. there are none anywhere near my area either. :(

#5 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,958 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:41 PM

i've heard that it's very difficult to find qualified rodent veterinarians in canada~~ i've been part of several sites where canadian members consistently had the same problem.

#6 MooHamster

MooHamster

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:00 AM

I live in Canada, and luckly, there's one on that list in my city, Victoria. I've been there before too. :D

#7 Peanut123

Peanut123

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 12:32 PM

None for saskatchewan , no surprises there!!

#8 sandra03

sandra03

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:01 AM

here's a couple sites that may help my fellow canucks Posted Image

(Mod's note: Links are now expired)

Edited by HoppingHammy, 15 January 2013 - 03:01 AM.

#9 StarrySora

StarrySora

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 02:55 PM

Here's a site that may help as well:

(Mod's note: Link is now expired)

Edited by HoppingHammy, 15 January 2013 - 02:59 AM.

#10 JessnToby

JessnToby

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:31 AM

None listed for my area, however I have found one small-animal savy veterinarians.
They do very well with rabbits, guinea pigs and such ... so I would assume they know the basics for hamsters!

Trenton Pet Hospital
Trenton, Ontario Canada
http://trentonpethospital.com
613-392-6667

There are a couple more I have within different cities ... when I can find the contact information I will post it :) It can be hard to find GOOD exotic vet's!
They are exotic vets located within Trenton ON, Belleville ON and Kingston ON ... none are directly local to me but CLOSEST for emergancy Vet Care.

#11 Ippo456

Ippo456

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:18 AM

the list is organized alphabetically, and includes some random listings for canada, the U.K. and i believe one or two other countries as well.
here's the link:

MissPixy, this database is for members only.
Is it possible for you to find out if there's any in West Michigan area?
Thanks.

Edited by HoppingHammy, 15 January 2013 - 03:00 AM.
Removed expired link

#12 amberella1228

amberella1228

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:17 AM

the one listed for my area doesnt see "exotic" animals

#13 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,958 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:25 PM

amberella1228~~ all the vets in the RCMA database treat rodents~~ that's their specialty.
if they are in that list, they treat rats, mice, hamsters etc. you should at least call them and
tell them your situation.

#14 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,958 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:26 PM

MissPixy, this database is for members only.
Is it possible for you to find out if there's any in West Michigan area?
Thanks.

no, anyone can access this list. just type the word member in both
fields.

#15 crazy Amy

crazy Amy

Baby Hamster

• 42 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:13 AM

I found one who gave me a quote. They are highly recommended in the area. Stahl Veterinary clinic. $320.

I feel like such an idiot. I've been saying for over 2 months, her activity level has decreased a lot, she barely uses her wheel & she gained a lot of weight. I was reading online constantly trying to find out info & kept coming across possible hybernation mode. Wish I had come here. I didn't think she was bloated though, just thought she had gained weight due to lack of exercise. Her eating seemed the same & she was walking around normally. Now I'm thinking she may have had pyometra for a long time & she was bloated. I didn't see any discharge back then. (doesn't mean it wasn't there, of course)
I did notice her cage smelled worse than normal & had to be cleaned more frequently. Darn it I'm so mad at myself. This is why I find this so hard. You have to be so observant & almost look for stuff. Then you have the issue of, even if you take them to a vet they many not know anything & only put them on antibiotics. I'm assuming my current vet wouldn't have found anything with those symptoms.
And yes, I think you're right about wanting to put her back on the baytril orally. I'm pretty sure he'll say that.

So now I'm left trying to decide if I want to/can afford to spend the $ and also how likely is it she'll survive? If this has been going on for a long time I'm assuming the odds won't be good. I really can't afford to spend the money & have her die anyway. I'll have to put off my other pets shots. Geez. Such bad timing. I wish I had tiered the shots more rather than have them all come up due around the same time.

Also, she's almost 2.
Wouldn't you think if this has been going on for quite some time she'd be real bad/toxic at this point & chances of recovery would not be good?

This really does stink. I'm going to give her bene back & dand. now & get my kids fed & think about what to do.

TTYL

i've posted this link so many times in response to members not knowing where to bring their hamsters for qualified veterinary care. this link, to the rat and mouse club of america's veterinary database, is the one i like the most because 1) the vets are listed through that group's members' recommendations, and 2) if a vet is competent with mice and rats, then they certainly know the basics of treating hamsters.

here's the link:

btw, if you have your own vet you'd like to add to their list, please do! i know i've added my vet :sly: .