Photo

How painful are hamster bites?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
70 replies to this topic

#61 Holzie

Holzie

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:53 AM

My Lila bit my finger when I first got her and it was fairly painful but nothing as bad as what I have had and it also bled quite a bit, too! lol, she hasn't bit me since though :P

#62 Elyse

Elyse

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:34 AM

Serenity has bitten me before but nothing that drew blood; it did hurt for a little while but the pain faded after awhile.

#63 emilystar

emilystar

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:37 AM

Poptart has bit me once and it drew blood. It didn't hurt that bad and healed quickly. Since then she has only nibble. I don't consider it a bite unless it draws blood or breaks the skin. If it doesn't it is just a nibble to me. The dwarf I baby sat over winter break bit a lot, but only when he didn't want to be held anymore. He was a kinda hamster that things had to be on his terms.

#64 kandyflower

kandyflower

Baby Hamster

• 14 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:51 AM

Hazel used to bite randomly quite often, and she bit hard while hanging on as long as she could. It did hurt quite a bit. Now, though, she only nibbles if she smells food.

#65 Molly&Ollie

Molly&Ollie

Baby Hamster

• 46 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:19 AM

Hamster bites arn't that painful, my hamster Ollie bit me and no blood was involved, but if you are new to handling try and use ski gloves at first and then gradually move to normal gloves and then allow them to crawl onto your hand. Its all about taking your time and not rushing, especially with a very young hamster. :hamster3:

#66 CaliforniaCole

CaliforniaCole

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

Have you ever stepped on a thumbtack? just like that but on your finger :p

#67 Azayles

Azayles

Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,437 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

Have you ever stepped on a thumbtack? just like that but on your finger :p

I knelt on one once (a thumb tack not a hamster). When right into my knee and made a fantastic crunching noise as it went into the bone. Like pushing a pin into some chalk.

#68 CaliforniaCole

CaliforniaCole

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

I knelt on one once (a thumb tack not a hamster). When right into my knee and made a fantastic crunching noise as it went into the bone. Like pushing a pin into some chalk.

how long ARE UK thumb tacks??? :mindblowing:

#69 Azayles

Azayles

Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,437 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

Long enough that you feel it lol. No I was kneeling on the floor and there was on on the carpet I knelt on xD

#70 PinkPumpkinGirl

PinkPumpkinGirl

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

Ask my boyfriend Wilson just bit him on the ear. :/ I hope he'll still give Wilson a chance since this is his first time being around a hamster.

Edited by PinkPumpkinGirl, 15 April 2012 - 12:04 PM.

#71 hammiegirls3114

hammiegirls3114

Baby Hamster

• 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:39 PM

There are different ranges between bites from a light bite, like a nibble, to deep bites.
The Lighter Bites
I'm going to start with the light bite first. The lighter bite are kind of like nips and a lot of times this will happen because your hamster doesn't want to be held when your holding him or her. They might just nip to tell you to put them down. So the best thing to do is to put them down or back in their cage and settle them down and just leave them alone. You don't want to drop your hamster. I know how the reaction would be to drop them but you just want to gently set your hamster back into their cage so your hamster won't get hurt. And that's why you want to hold your hamster at the most one foot off the ground so if something like that happened and on accident you dropped your hamster they won't be as severely hurt as they would be if they were higher off the ground.
The Second Degree Bite
Next I'm going to talk about the second degree bite. So that would be if your hamster does brake the skin and draws blood. It shouldn't be a lot of blood because if your hamster just bites you and it's not going that far down there shouldn't be pouring blood. Again you want to put your hamster calmly back into the cage and go to the bathroom to wash your hand with warm or cold water warm water would be better because it will get all of the germs off. Then you want to put a band-aid on it so you can keep all of the bad germs off it. That might hurt in the sense of getting a needle in your finger but otherwise it shouldn't hurt like you need to go to the hospital or something like that.
The Most Severe Bite
This bite is the most severe obviously that is your hamster would brake the skin and draws a lot of blood. YOU NEED TO DO THIS IMMEDIATELY!!! Quickly set your hamster down in it's cage and run to the bathroom to wash your hand with warm water! You MIGHT need to get stitches but it's not likely. If it's bleeding a lot you might want to go to a doctor and get it checked out so it doesn't get worse or get an infection. I'm sorry if this is scaring you but this is really unlikely unless your like hurting your hamster then you might deserve to get bitten.

Edited by StardustHolle, 05 May 2012 - 10:41 PM.