Photo

How painful are hamster bites?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
70 replies to this topic

#1 monkeysmom

monkeysmom

Action Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 5,066 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 11:10 PM

Good morning everyone!

We are going out today to buy a Syrian hamster. My daughter is afraid that it is going to bite her although she really wants one. Kids have been telling her "horror" stories about blood dripping down their arms, etc. from their hamster's bite.

Just how bad is a hamster bite and how ofter to they really try and bite you if you are patient with them?

Thanks everyone for all of your assistance these last couple days!

#2 Nikki982

Nikki982

Baby Hamster

• 17 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 05:22 AM

It doesn't hurt actually and they don't usually break the skin or anything..It's more emotional than painful ;) Hamsters only bite out of fear..Just make sure she's calm and not afraid when she picks the hamster up or holds it..If she's scared of getting bit the hamster will sense her fear and become afraid itself and most likely end up biting her..As long as she stays calm while handling and doesn't do anything to scare the hamster she shouldn't get bit..

#3 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 09:41 AM

For me, it's the shock of being bitten. Hamster bites are quick, I rarely get those that will cause blood dripping. Most hamsters will not bite for no reason, don't worry.

#4 yuri0805

yuri0805

Junior Hamster

• 157 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 05:21 PM

i dont bleed when hamster bites... like wat boss says, it's the shock

#5 yuckie_cookie

yuckie_cookie

Baby Hamster

• 43 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 03:22 AM

Milo , my hamster I have now, bit me 3 times. I was uncaring and I just blew on his face and he got scared, I went to grab him, and he nipped my finge. I was upset but not bleeding! (stoopid me! ) He bit me again later and I was bleeding a little, I was mad at him and cursed at him under my breath but it only stings. 3rd time he bit me through a towel but it didn't hurt that much.

#6 Icaria

Icaria

Rookie Hamster

• 81 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 07:02 AM

My dwarf bit me for the first time today - like getting scratched by a very tiny dog comb.

#7 Kokol

Kokol

Banned

• Banned
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 06:14 AM

My hamster only bit me once!!! And that was the first day I got her. Once they are tamed and handled correctly then they will not bite/as often. Another reason they bite is because they smell food on your finger, and since they have bad eyesight they will give it a nibble thinking that it is a yummy apple!

#8 cutieb78

cutieb78

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 12:39 PM

Hi,

My hamsters do bite at times... a little painful... but not serious enough o draw blood :scared:......maybe because my fingers smell like food. But once they get to know u and r tame enough, they shouln'd bite unless u woke them up from their slumber. Shouldn't be a problem if you handle them properly. :veryhappy:

#9 Bunny Lover

Bunny Lover

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 07:06 AM

IF you don't wash your hands, a hammy might smell food on your fingers and decide to take a nibble adn see how it tastes!

#10 monkeysmom

monkeysmom

Action Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 5,066 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 10:11 AM

Wow, what an old post....I can't believe it made its way back to the top of the posts! :biggrin:

#11 Bunny Lover

Bunny Lover

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 13 September 2003 - 07:34 AM

lol, i was digging into the old posts yesterday cause there wasn't any new posts at the time!

#12 HamTree

HamTree

Veteran Hamster

• 562 posts

Posted 13 September 2003 - 10:35 AM

It depends on how hard

#13 Charmer

Charmer

Action Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 06:39 AM

How long ago was this?lol

#14 foxxyy

foxxyy

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 07:46 AM

it really doesnt hurt! its like a really little prick at the worst! dont believe those kids! they are just rying to scare her!

#15 jkhalican

jkhalican

Junior Hamster

• 130 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 05:38 PM

I gotta be honest ... When we first got Piglet and when we was bringing her home, She sunk her teeth deep into thumb (because thumb was in her box duh!). It was deep and hurt and bled alot. :yell: They have long bottom teeth. So be careful with them and try not to get bit.
But that was the only time it happened so if you do get bit, dont get discouraged. Now i can stick my finger in her mouth and she wont even bite hard at all, just to taste... In fact, yesterday when i gave her a kiss, she bit my lip but once again it wasnt a hard bite. I think she knows that she'll get nothing outta biting us as hard as she did the first time.