Photo

Wet Tail Preventative?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 karena899

karena899

Baby Hamster

• 19 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:42 AM

My pet Hamster, Hampton, died yesterday from wet-tail. I have scrubbed and scrubbed his cage out with bleach, soap and hot water in prepartion for another little buddy and I have it sitting outside in the warm sun. Once I get my new little friend is there anything else besides good hygene, clean cage, fresh food and water that I can do to prevent another outbreak of this disease. I used to breed budgie birds back home in Australia and I actually used to dose them with an antibiotic type medicine every couple of months to keep the birds healthy and to stop any outbreak of serious disease (birds, like hamsters are very prone to various diseases).

Is there any type of wet-tail preventative on the market for hamsters? If so, what is the name so I can have it on hand?

#2 mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:50 AM

Hmm, I'd like to know as well. Someone told me that Petsmart hamsters have a big risk of wet tail..

#3 PoptartShop

PoptartShop

Angelic Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 12,115 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:08 AM

It depends on the hamsters' history, most of the time.
Or, from stress or damp living conditions.

Mcdaniel, that may be true for your specific store area...I'm sure not ALL PetSmarts are like that :)

Anyway: I think if you clean the cage weekly & not over-handle the hamster, your hamster should not get it.
But, it depends...'cause sometimes you can't prevent it because if you buy the hamster from ANY store, it could have WT in its history.

Edited by PoptartShop, 19 April 2007 - 04:10 AM.

#4 kinkinham

kinkinham

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:11 AM

yeah, get ur hamie from breeders - higher quality, more tamed,
i guess limited fresh clean pesticides-free fresh food will be safer,
but there is wet-tail drops in pet shop, isn't it?

#5 mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:23 AM

Well, there ar eno breeders in my area that I know of. lol... Or I just cannot find any. haha.

#6 karena899

karena899

Baby Hamster

• 19 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:40 AM

Yeah I too am stuck as to how to find breeders in my area as well. I bought Hampton from Petland about 7 months ago and he died yesterday probably at the age of 9 months old. The hamsters at Petland, in my area, all seem to be in excellent condition and their pen is always clean so I will probably end up going back there if I can't find a breeder very very soon.

#7 PoptartShop

PoptartShop

Angelic Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 12,115 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:14 AM

I'd rather go to petstores..idk, I find my PetCo to be great so yeah. LOL!
I'm sure going to breeders/shelters is nice too.

#8 nebit

nebit

Action Hero Ham

• Members
  • 5,215 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:55 AM

you can find a wettail med in stores called DriTail but it is NOT GOOD. It will not cure wettail and it does more harm than good as a preventitive. The best preventitive for wettail is good husbandry practices. Wettail is highly contagious, so ask at the store if thier stock has been healthy. some stores- like petco, will gaurantee your hammy and take it to the vet if it becomes ill within a certain amount of time. petstores seem to be the biggest sourcve of wettail infection, since there are many animals in a small space and they are under stress. when you get your new hammy, leave it alone for a day or two to lessen its stress. place its cage somple quiet and away from drafts. If you handle any other hammys, wash your hands well with soap and water before handling your new pet, and after. handwashing cuts the risks greatly. the most important bit is that if your hammy does get wettail that you take it to the vet IMMEDIATELY. Hammys can recover with anitbiotics, but only if you catch the disease in its early stages. you could also try a product called Benebac (sold for birds and small animals) wich contains good bacterial cultures to help in times of stress. -Neb

#9 karena899

karena899

Baby Hamster

• 19 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:09 AM

Where do you get Benebac from?

Is it true that yoghurt is a great way of providing hamsters with good bacteria as well?

#10 nebit

nebit

Action Hero Ham

• Members
  • 5,215 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:02 AM

Petco sells benebac, I'm sure you could get it elsewhere. Its a preventative though, not a cure. and yes, a very small amount of yogurt should work the same way. also, Hazel hamster food contains probiotics. -Neb

#11 spunkysmomma

spunkysmomma

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:55 AM

Is it true that yoghurt is a great way of providing hamsters with good bacteria as well?

I know that yogurt is good for humans when they get diarrhea,
it usually stops it, also cheese, I suppose it would do the same thing for hamsters too.

#12 i_luv_oliver_

i_luv_oliver_

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:33 AM

Yes there is, my hamster, Oliver, recently seemed to be getting Wet tail, so Wednesday i bought some prevention and treatment mixed together, it's called Dri Tail, and it's really easy, it comes with a dropper, and depending on which type of hamster, you fill up the dropper to a certain pint and then just put it in his mouth and squirt it. My hamster seems to think it taste good. :headphones:

Humm... Dri Tail hasn't harmed Oliver, and its really helped, it must just work better for different hamsters...

#13 PoptartShop

PoptartShop

Angelic Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 12,115 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:57 AM

Dri-tail mostly only cures the symptoms, not the actual disease.
It's best to get medicine from the vet, instead of over-the-counter ones ;)

#14 Butterbean

Butterbean

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:22 AM

When a hamster gets wet tail it's imporant to take h/er to the vet, also give h/er electorlites to keep h/er hydrated.