Photo

Pregnant (With Pics)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 yuri0805

yuri0805

Junior Hamster

• 157 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 10:11 PM

I saw my ZhuZhu mated 2wks ago.. well just in case, i've put her in a quiet place to prepare for birth.. but according to the pictures can anyone confirm with me that she's really pregnant?? cause i'm not sure how to see the so-called pear shape.. heehee ;D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 missPixy

missPixy

Magician Ham

• Advisor
  • 13,004 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 01:48 AM

yuri, i'd say if you saw her mate 2 weeks ago and she's gained all this weight in the time since, then she's pregnant. you should see pups in the coming week. how old is ZhuZhu? she looks like a very pretty opal.

once she has the pups, you won't be able to touch them or her or clean the house for 2 weeks, so now is probably the best time to do a thorough housecleaning for her. also start giving her some hi-protein food in her meals, like some shredded lowfat cheese, or bread soaked in lowfat milk. a raw unshelled pnut would also do the trick. also some cooked egg, tofu, or some soymilk would supply xtra protein. if you aren't bothered by the idea, dwarfs in the wild eat insects so you could offer her some mealworms or small crickets (bought at a petstore specifically for the purpose of feed).

have you ever had a dwarf who had pups b4? where is the dad?

#3 yuri0805

yuri0805

Junior Hamster

• 157 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 02:23 AM

she's a 6mth old sapphire :)

i did a clean up for her cage and put her in my room (more quiet here) just in case my suspicion is really correct.. i fed her with more carrots, milk diluted with water, yogurt treats and hard boiled eggs to prepare her.. heehee..

as for the dad, u can see his photos in the gallery "My 6 cuties". He's HuHu, another darling sapphire there :P

so now at last i can finally CONFIRM! i'm so excited... waiting waiting.. now is the 16th day since they mated.. heehee

#4 missPixy

missPixy

Magician Ham

• Advisor
  • 13,004 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 04:51 AM

yuri, if dad is still with her, you should be aware that dwarfs can mate 24 hours after birth of the litter! plus it's unhealthy for ZhuZhu to get pregnant again so quickly. you'll have to separate dad b4 she has the pups. if you have some boys in the litter, maybe you can have them live with dad so he isn't alone.

also i would go lite on the yogurt treats cause if they're like the ones in the US, they're full of sugar and can trigger latent diabetes... just a note.

i'm sure the pups will be gorgeous!

#5 yuri0805

yuri0805

Junior Hamster

• 157 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 05:16 AM

er... actually they dont live together.. 2wks ago i try introducing them together using some vanilla essence (to make them smell the same) and they mated right in front of me.. but after 1/2hr, total disaster, started squeaking and fighting.. when i intro them again the day after.. same thing happened, so they don't live together... so dont worry :)

for the yogurt treat i feed half of it everyday, think that should be safe??

#6 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 11:36 AM

Hey Yuri congratulations!! u gonna be having a litter of baby hams very soon!!! :applause:

Yes, reminds me of Miffy, she looks exactly like in the pic when she's pregnant!!! Yes I fed some yoghurt treat ... u try fine wheatgerm too, it's good for mum and babies ... can get from liberty supermarket at plaza sing. Good luck and keep us posted when she delivers!!! :applause:

#7 yuri0805

yuri0805

Junior Hamster

• 157 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 07:33 PM

haahaa, i'll keep that in mind... hope to get babies...
and also this is her first pregnancy, so actually i dont have much confidence that i'll have babies in the end.. cause u know, first pregnancy normally like unsuccessful... so... let's just pray :)

#8 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 07:37 PM

No! My hamster's first pregnancy was successful. Just make sure there's ample food and don't disturb the cage in any way ... you'll do all right!

#9 yuri0805

yuri0805

Junior Hamster

• 157 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 07:55 PM

Issit... but the chance quite slim right? i've put plenty of food inside cause i wont be able to touch the cage for 3 wks and 2 water bottles..
also i've put my tank in my room where it's more quiet... hope mine first time will be successful too~ thanks for giving me hope!

#10 missPixy

missPixy

Magician Ham

• Advisor
  • 13,004 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 09:46 PM

yuri, 1st thing is that i've had 3 dwarf moms who had their 1st (and last!) litter with me & they had no complications at all! so i wouldn't worry so much about that. she's 6 months old as you say which is a very good age for her to become pregnant... she's fully matured and at her peak.

as far as 1/2 a yogurt drop every day... can you check the ingredients on the box? if they do contain sugar as i think they do, that's way too frequent! i'd switch ZhuZhu over to more healthy protein as i listed earlier in the post.

finally, i should clarify what i meant about touching the cage. you can and should change the food and water daily! what i said was you couldn't touch ZhuZhu or the pups, or clean the bedding for 2 weeks. but she will need fresh food daily including protein as i mentioned. you can take the food bowls out and change the water bottle, just don't upset the actual nest. the food will go bad in that amount of time and you don't want any1 to get sick from bacteria from old and moldy food.

#11 yuri0805

yuri0805

Junior Hamster

• 157 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 10:35 PM

ok i'm feeding them with HOBO Yogurt Delights, below is wat I found on the label:
Milk and derived of milk, cereals, sugar, vegetables extracts, vitamin and minerals
Daily dosage: hamsters-6 to 10 disc
Analysis: protein 8%, grease 27%, fibre 0.2%, humidity 3%, minerals 2%

so based on the above, i shouldnt feed so frequently?

based on wat misspixy said, i will start changing the food dish n bottles everyday.. but i'm kind of nervous of upsetting my mother hammy..

#12 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 10:52 PM

I bought this HOBO yoghurt as a treat for my hamsters in the past. At most they will eat half a disc daily, while some of mine won't even touch it ... So i think u can give half every 2 days?

Put more food in the food dish. If u r nervous, don't touch the food for the first 3 days. Then, after that, you should try to change daily. I always use a plastic spoon to change food/move the cage etc coz I don't want to leave my scent inside the cage in case the mummy got suspicious. Once, a wiggly baby got lost at one corner of the cage, and I used the spoon to scoop her out and place it with the mummy... she did ok.

#13 yuri0805

yuri0805

Junior Hamster

• 157 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 11:13 PM

thanx! i will do just what u advised me.. hope everything goes well for me~

#14 missPixy

missPixy

Magician Ham

• Advisor
  • 13,004 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 02:58 AM

yuri, hamsterBoss makes a good point about using a spoon... as an additional precaution you can buy a pair of rubber kitchen gloves to pick up the food dish so that your scent will be masked. but again i stress the xtra protein in the diet is important and that means some fresh food. and that kind of food (egg or cheese or tofu for xample) won't stay good for 3 days. and if ZhuZhu eats moldy food she will get sick and that will be real cause for concern cause she won't behave as she would if she were well... if she gets sick there's a chance she may attack the pups if she feels she can't care for them. i know you're concerned about upsetting her, but just quietly and quickly removing the food bowl and then putting it back with fresh food won't be considered a disruption. what most ppl do that causes problems is try to pick up the pups too soon, or clean out the house and nest b4 the 2-week period has passed, or handle the mom b4 the 2-week period. that would disrupt ZhuZhu. but changing the food shouldn't and you seem as tho you are so careful and gentle now anyway, i can't imagine this posing a problem. but pick up some latex kitchen gloves if you're still worried so that your scent will be completely masked.

i'm still concerned about the sugar content in the yogurt drops. the feeding schedule listed on the box will probably not be dangerous for a syrian hamster who has a much less chance of developing diabetes. but you have a dwarf. and dwarf hamsters develop diabetes. in addition, pregnancy can trigger diabetes in both humans and animals who are predisposed to this disease. i strongly urge you to not feed ZhuZhu the yogurt drops right now. there are many other sugar-free healthy foods loaded with protein that you can give her now that i listed earlier in this post. the reality of the yogurt drops is that they're really nothing but candy. i've never had a hamster refuse the yogurt drops, but after i went thru my 1st xperience with a diabetic hamster this past winter, i started looking at all the ingredients on all the food and treats i gave them and couldn't believe how much sugar was in so many of them. that's why i'm cautioning you now against continuing with the yogurt drops as a staple food. if you want to give ZhuZhu a drop maybe once a month (i'm serious!) that should be okay. but diabetes is a real problem and continuous sugar in the diet of any1 predisposed to this disease will most certainly trigger it full-blown.

#15 yuri0805

yuri0805

Junior Hamster

• 157 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 03:46 AM

okie! i'll do wat u all advised me too :)