Photo

How to stop hamster from peeing in the wheel?

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#76 foxforce05

foxforce05

Baby Hamster

• 23 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 01 October 2006 - 05:27 AM

hi there... i just got a new hamster about 3 days ago after my old one died about 2 weeks ago (rip murphy). my new hammie seems to be peeing in his wheel all the time!! my old one never had this problem at all even though he spent a lot of time not only running but also eating and cleaning in his wheel (i got a new wheel for the new hammie). so i read some of this forum and saw this...

there is a way that i tried was successful.
1) remove the wheel, and totally disinfect it. and leave it out of the cage for 1 week.
2) get a toilet for the hamsters, and train them to go in.
3) after 1 week, put the wheel back, you should see improvement.

here are my questions/comments... first of all, i tried putting a toilet and i put the soiled bedding in it to see if that helps (with the wheel still in), it did not. it seems like he is only peeing in the wheel when he is running, i don't think he goes specifically in the wheel to pee (does he?) so would the method above still work? could it be that he gets excited that he's in the wheel and just loses control?? that last one was the weirdest question i think i ever asked :boggled: also, is my hammie maybe to young to toilet train?

ok, sorry for the mass amount of questions... any advice will be appreciated!!! :fluffy:

Edited by foxforce05, 01 October 2006 - 05:34 AM.

#77 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

• My Syrian(s):0
  • My Dwarf(s):0

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 13 October 2006 - 09:59 PM

Well your hamster is still young and doesn't have the greatest control ;) Just like a human. But as they get older they start to have better control.

#78 Elora

Elora

Baby Hamster

• 22 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 05 November 2006 - 06:03 PM

I'm quite pleased with myself because my little hammie goes to pee in a corner. Although, he poops almost everywhere! 8D'

#79 hampsmom

hampsmom

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 36 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:40 AM

correction, maybe i shouldnt say it so confidently.. hahhaa.. unless some hams saw the wheel as 'one big giant hammock'

my hammy Pretzel thinks her wheel is a grand bed. She hauls all her bedding in it and loads of food. However, when I clean it out she is always exstatic to be able to run in it again. I guess I need to get her a nest.

#80 hamster101

hamster101

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 59 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:50 AM

How about using the steel wheel, are they any small steel wheels for robos? Since there are holes in it, I dont think the hamster will pee on it . Yesterday I had no choice but to bath my hamster because his lower part of body is all wet thanks to the urine. Yuk!

I have acually heard that you sould not used wire wheels because the paw can fall trough the hole and break the hamsters leg or paw.

#81 SimplyHamm

SimplyHamm

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 441 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:09 AM

I'm quite pleased with myself because my little hammie goes to pee in a corner. Although, he poops almost everywhere! 8D'

Ahahaha, that happens to my hammie too. Lol, she pees in the plastic corner I got for her but she poos everywhere too, including right next to her food bowl.

#82 hamsterlvr92

hamsterlvr92

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 25 posts

• Mood:

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:04 AM

My hammy did that when she was alive. >8~( :crybuckets: U could get 1 of those wheels that have holes in them so the pee doesn't smell as bad.

#83 peaches3325

peaches3325

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 152 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:27 AM

the worse thing is that even though there's pee in the wheel, Elliott Jr doesn't give a hoot and continues to run in it. so now, he smells really bad. :laughing:

I've been looking around for this hamster deodorant spray I used years ago. I'm not sure if sprays like these exist anymore? Anyone knows?

yes it still exist!!!! i seen some a while ago!!?? not like a few years...just like a week ago or something!!! :veryhappy:

#84 RodentQueen

RodentQueen

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 660 posts

• My Syrian(s):2
  • My Dwarf(s):1

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:31 AM

I got a silent spinner for Degas (a very large one, YES THEY COME IN LARGER SIZES THAN 6 1/2)

She pees on it. Then when I take it out to clean her cage I get sticky smelly mess on my fingers.

#85 Dani

Dani

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 152 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 01 July 2007 - 06:47 PM

Your best bet is to do what I did and get him a Hamster Potty.
Before you clean his cage, keep some of his droppings (poo) and put them in the potty, he will know this is his and think this is the normal place for him to go to the toilet!

Good Luck x

#86 devilcup

devilcup

Baby Hamster

• 19 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 11 August 2007 - 04:01 PM

my Dwarf hamster ard 1month old keep peeing on the wheel...

i did take out the wheel for almost a week and put back... next morning i saw the wheel sticky again!

it kinda sad...

anyway he got a spot to poo but pee wise he anywhere pee... maybe he still young?

i alread took out the wheel for now... how he toilet train soon...

BTW, he was angry when i get the wheel out and he bite the wheel... sad...

#87 HammieMother666

HammieMother666

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 41 posts

• My Syrian(s):1
  • My Dwarf(s):2

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:33 AM

I have the same problem with my chinese hams peeing in their wheel, they pee, sleep and empty their pouches in there. I don't know how to sort it.
As for the deodorant, I spotted one in pets at home this morning, it's in the vitamins and flea spray section.

#88 peach,brownies

peach,brownies

Baby Hamster

• 11 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:01 PM

My robo like to pee on his wheel and sleep on it. It makes him look wet when the urine stain on his fur? Any one have any ideas how do I stop him from peeing on his wheel?

how can I make my hamster sleep, but not pee!on the wheel?
and soory about that and I did that to the wheel of my classmates.She hates it when it hapens!

#89 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

• My Syrian(s):0
  • My Dwarf(s):0

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:09 PM

^It's their choice whether your hamster wants to or not. It's somewhat cruel and probably futile to "force" a hamster to sleep where you want them to.
What do you mean you did that to the wheel of your classmate...?

#90 loulou

loulou

Baby Hamster

• 1 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:30 PM

Yeah....I remember when Dexter did that for a week. I had to completly wipe out his wheel with wet wipes! I took away his wheel for a few days, put it back and he never did that again!

hi my name lauren whts yours
i have 2 rabbits 1 the same as yours he called bazil :lovestruck: :bunny: