Photo

Baby Hamster got attacked by cat

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Carlyneliz

Carlyneliz

Baby Hamster

• 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:58 AM

well earlier this morning 3 baby hamsters escaped from my moms room and one got attacked by our cat here (RIP Ziggy, and the others are safe) and our cat knocked down the hamster cage in the living room down and he scratched one hamster in the face and well he's moving but doing a lot of sleeping and i noticed some blood on the tissues i put in his cage...i just dont know what i should do now, he's bleeding and i dont know what to do...please help!

Carlyneliz

#2 dwankrista

dwankrista

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 05:30 AM

personally, i wuld take the hamsters to a vet.  the cage needs to be placed somewhere where the cat cannot get to it as this puts your hamsters in constant danger.  i keep all of my small animals behind closed doors as we have five cats here as well.  for safety's skae it's best to put them in a catless room and the hamster needs treatment.  :(

#3 Javabob

Javabob

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:12 AM

:'( awww...thatmakes me sad. i love my hammy so much that i would know how u would feel. i wud take ur hamster into the vet 2 have him checked on...R.I.P little Ziggy :candle:  :rose:

#4 Juliev

Juliev

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 01:50 PM

i had an incident earlier today with my dog.  we just got her a week ago from the pound and shes very interested in the hamsters, she will sit and watch them for hours.  well, my younger daughter took the lid off one of the bin cages and forgot to put it back on.  the dog, a mediumish-largish size german shepherd mutt mix, got one of the dwarfs out of the bin and was licking it on the floor.  she wasnt trying to hurt it she just wanted to play with it.  amazingly the little hamster is fine!  she was really stressed and wet from the doggy's tongue and we were all really worried about her but shes doing fine now, im gonna keep a close eye on her for the next few days or so to make sure.  my daughter felt SO bad :/

i hope your hammy is ok and you can figure out a way to keep the cat from getting to them.

#5 genesisway

genesisway

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 05:31 PM

luckily your dog didnt hurt the ham.

#6 GeneGenie

GeneGenie

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:50 PM

i had an incident earlier today with my dog.  we just got her a week ago from the pound and shes very interested in the hamsters, she will sit and watch them for hours.  well, my younger daughter took the lid off one of the bin cages and forgot to put it back on.  the dog, a mediumish-largish size german shepherd mutt mix, got one of the dwarfs out of the bin and was licking it on the floor.  she wasnt trying to hurt it she just wanted to play with it.  amazingly the little hamster is fine!  she was really stressed and wet from the doggy's tongue and we were all really worried about her but shes doing fine now, im gonna keep a close eye on her for the next few days or so to make sure.  my daughter felt SO bad :/

i hope your hammy is ok and you can figure out a way to keep the cat from getting to them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your dog sounds like such a little (big!) sweetheart!  Most other dogs would have savaged the poor lil hammie straight away.  Lucky you!  Hugz to your gentle giant :hug:

#7 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,958 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 11:27 PM

well earlier this morning 3 baby hamsters escaped from my moms room and one got attacked by our cat here (RIP Ziggy, and the others are safe) and our cat knocked down the hamster cage in the living room down and he scratched one hamster in the face and well he's moving but doing a lot of sleeping and i noticed some blood on the tissues i put in his cage...i just dont know what i should do now, he's bleeding and i dont know what to do...please help!

Carlyneliz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

your hamster needs to get to the vet ASAP. cat bites and scratches are the MOST infectious of any animal (cat scratch fever is a real ailment) and your baby hamster needs baytril or another hamster-safe antibiotic within 25 hours of the attack.

Edited by missPixy, 15 April 2006 - 11:27 PM.

#8 monkeysmom

monkeysmom

Action Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 5,066 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:46 PM

On a side note, since the advice given has already addressed the main issue, I would just like to remind all members that hamsters are vulnerable little ones.  Even if they are secured in their cages, they can easily become stressed out by other animals in the house (cat, dog, rabbit, etc.) and need to be placed in a separate pet-free room.  The constant stress of having larger animals in constant contact with them will ultimately shorten their life span.

Just wanted to provide a little more food for thought on this subject and give a safety precaution warning.