Photo

Hamster and mouse can they live together

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jrennie1984

Jrennie1984

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 05:44 AM

Hi I have a 8 week old siryen hamster who has setteled in well to my home I also have a adult mouse.  Anyway I was cleaning the mouse and just popped him in the hamsters cage... The cage is huge... Anyway they seemed to get along okay just sNiffed each other then carried on with there own business. I was wondering if it be okay to let them live together as they now been in cage for an hour with no fights etc.. Im not sure if eventually they would fight?  They are both awake just now?

#2 smile2374

smile2374

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 05:52 AM

No. Although they may have gotten along for a short time, Syrians are extremely territorial and will fight with other hamsters to the death. *Please* do not keep them together, there is a 99.9% chance that one will end up injured.

#3 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:10 AM

Smile is right. Syrians are very territorial. They can fight to death and i am sure you wouldn't want your mouse or your hamster hurt or worse.

#4 Jrennie1984

Jrennie1984

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:47 AM

Smile is right. Syrians are very territorial. They can fight to death and i am sure you wouldn't want your mouse or your hamster hurt or worse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks seperated them just incase cos I would be devistated if ethier of them got hurt:)  I am so glad I found this site its stopped me making so many mistakes.

#5 Vivastrang

Vivastrang

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:41 AM

Yeah, best not to attempt with a Syrian. A very tolerant young dwarf hamster, maybe, but never a Syrian. I've thought often in the past few weeks how Spirit would treat a mouse if I put one in with him (I know Tweak probably wouldn't rest until she had the mouse's blood on her paws :( ). He's always enjoyed company... If he were younger, I might actually attempt it, since I have more cages than I know what to do with if things didn't work out.
It might be an interesting idea to try it with a dwarf hamster and a mouse, both young, if you ever have them in the future. :scratchchin:

#6 ZaphodBeeblebro

ZaphodBeeblebro

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 03:09 PM

Yeah, best not to attempt with a Syrian. A very tolerant young dwarf hamster, maybe, but never a Syrian. I've thought often in the past few weeks how Spirit would treat a mouse if I put one in with him (I know Tweak probably wouldn't rest until she had the mouse's blood on her paws :( ). He's always enjoyed company... If he were younger, I might actually attempt it, since I have more cages than I know what to do with if things didn't work out.
It might be an interesting idea to try it with a dwarf hamster and a mouse, both young, if you ever have them in the future. :scratchchin:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I Almost Tried It ...

Went with Diana's Old Cage Mate, instead ...

Now, they're Inseparable, AGAIN!

Edited by ZaphodBeeblebro, 21 January 2006 - 03:09 PM.

#7 Jrennie1984

Jrennie1984

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:44 AM

I seperated them cos the mouse ended up biting the hamster (Silly mouse cos the hamster is twice the size of the mouse)

#8 Binky

Binky

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 09:01 AM

I wouldnt' risk it, but since a snake can cohabitate with a hamster who really knows?

#9 Haruka

Haruka

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 09:07 AM

Sooner or later, I am sure that one of them will get annoyed with the other (most likely the Syrian) and will fight to the death.

I'm glad you separated them.