Photo

What happens to unsold animals at pet stores?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 cirroades

cirroades

Baby Hamster

• 44 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 02:44 PM

Does anybody know what happens to those unsold animals at pet stores?

As these animals get older, it's more difficult for them to be sold; hence the occasional sales and so on. But how about those that are not sold after a long time or those that fall sick or those injured?? Will they really be frozen to death like the reports at the PETA website? :ashamed:

#2 foxxyy

foxxyy

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 10:43 PM

Cirroades::

I am not quite sure what happend to some of those poor animals after what I heard about Petco. But I do know that older cats & dogs get shipped to other stores to try and get sold or to shelters as far as I know. As for hamsters, I am sure they stay there until they are sold or shipped to breeders. Same with rabbits and ginuea piggies.

#3 lixzzz

lixzzz

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 01:58 AM

:hmmm: I couldn't answer for all the pet shops but I do know this pet shop owner, keeps all her "unsold" hamsters as her own pet... And some pet shops will just giveaway those aged or injured hams to ppl who are interested in keeping them... :)

#4 scabbers

scabbers

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 02:00 AM

I think it's terrible that they would just leave animal in such a iny cage forever. Especially hamsters! Would if they start to fight?
I went to Petco to get my hammies. After I purchased them, I went to look at a bird on display, (becuase their cool) and I saw these cute black hamsters! One with a little white spot by it's eye. Not sure why. A few months later, I went back to get some new bedding, and the same exact black hamster was there! I find that mean! And they same exact bird was there too. >:( >:(
Pet stores should like maybe like lower the prices of hamsters, so people buy them, so their not stuck in a tiny cage forever! >:(

#5 Bunny Lover

Bunny Lover

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 10:17 AM

At my local Petsmart, Hamsters are rarely there for more than 5 days!

#6 Charmer

Charmer

Action Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 05:50 AM

Its sad I know.... For all I know, they keep them until all the animals are sold. :mouse: