• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

• My Syrian(s):1
  • My Dwarf(s):0

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:33 AM

They don't bite . I suggest cleaning out their cage and checking their bedding for those little critters as they can get into pine and cedar and tree bedding . Try to keep the room that they are in room temperature (It is a special temperature though I don't know what it is so look on the internet) . They may be attracted to rotting food so take food out that have been in for nearly 24 hours or more . If you do have pine or cedar bedding burn it immediately and never use it again . Burn there current stuff in there cage ( bedding and stuff used to line the floor) . Change out their cage at least once a week . Follow these instructions and you might have an ant free cage .

#62 LittleFuzzyLuv

LittleFuzzyLuv

Baby Hamster

• 28 posts

• My Dwarf(s):1

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:26 AM

Ants HATE baby powder... Clean your cage and put baby powder around the cage.. it is also one of the safer ant repellants ;)

#63 akimoto_emi

akimoto_emi

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • My Syrian(s):0

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

can i just apply dettol cream continous on esther ?

#64 Mika

Mika

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,417 posts

• My Dwarf(s):5

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:28 PM

can i just apply dettol cream continous on esther ?

I wouldn't risk it since it is a man-made product.

#65 toffeebear

toffeebear

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 173 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:37 AM

They might be mites. Check you vet! Attract the ants with fruit and it should go away (;

#66 17cookieHammie

17cookieHammie

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 56 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

You can feed him cooked rice - but just a lil bit (like a teaspoon or less) so it doesn't get stored in his cheeks. If you're going to feed rice, brown rice would be best - mixed with some veggies would be even better.

I'm not sure about the ants though :)

#67 Nibbles<3Meia

Nibbles<3Meia

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:09 AM

There are these really resistant ants around my cage.. I've tried everything, baby powder, cayenne powder, corn starch, tape (sticky side up), and all sorts of things.. The thing is, the ants don't want the food.. They want the water bottle. 0-0 Everytime my hamster goes to get a drink, he gets a mouthful of ants. I've cleaned out the water bottle and everything. I've moved it countless times and even changed the way it is held up, but no, still ants. >~<

#68 MiniMercedes

MiniMercedes

Adult Hamster

• Banned
  • 330 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:17 PM

Hey I had the same problem! I put a jar on its side witg the lid on and poked a hole in it (big enough for ants) and filled it with sugar. My hammie couldn't reach it and the ants went in to get the sugar then in lifted up the jar and emptied it down the sink. Hope this helped :)

#69 pawlove

pawlove

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,834 posts

• My Dwarf(s):3

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:33 PM

Hi, this  might be a rather old topic, but i saw that people here is not very concerned with ants. 

Well I'm very concerned with them.

Although not a hamster, but my old hedgehog died because of ants. He was bitten in his upper inner lip, and his eye. They quickly got infected and hurt and got worse. He's old, he can't fight any ants.

The ants I'm talking about is very small, 2 mm long at most, and are red. I live in the tropics so I'm not sure if you would encounter them where they live. 

Just saying that if they can kill an elderly hedgehog, then can kill an old hamster too. And they might be able to kill younger ones. 

Maybe I over exaggerated this matter but after I lost my baby I don't want to lose another to ants. I wouldn't let any little ants inside a pet's enclosure anymore. 

And the repellents for ants in this topic is worth trying, although I usually do with chalk specially made to repel ants and roaches. Of course I would take caution to not let hamsters to get too close to those chalk marks. 

#70 ~Blessing~

~Blessing~

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 521 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:47 AM

If The Ants are looking for a source of food, try scatter feeding underneath all the bedding, the ants won't go under neath the bedding and look for food if they do not see the food themselves. This is also very fun for the hamster. This happened to me before, and I did this method and it worked pretty well until the summer flies problem started ( I ended up just moving my tank).

#71 Hammies♥️

Hammies♥️

Baby Hamster

• 9 posts
  • My Dwarf(s):4

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:08 PM

I solved the ants problem by leaving the cover of a container (must be bigger than your cage) under my cage and filling it with water, its almost like a 'trench', that way, the ants won't be able to crawl in anymore :)

#72 Susie Granger

Susie Granger

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 216 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:49 AM

I have got these tiny ants in my room around my cage. I don't know what kind they are. I put a trap beside cage. They are in his care
Fresh and wood chips. I don't know if they bite and I don't know how to get rid of them. What's
The easiest way?

#73 Susie Granger

Susie Granger

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 216 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

I am just really concered that
They will hurt him. They are black ants not red bte

#74 izzymharris

izzymharris

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 72 posts

• My Syrian(s):2

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:21 AM

These ants could bite your hamsters and actually kill them. If you have them on your cage bars you should disinfect the cage and check the rice you've been giving them. If the ants come back change the cage and buy new rice.

#75 hammywammy332

hammywammy332

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 142 posts

• My Dwarf(s):2

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:11 AM

maby you should just stop giving your hammies boild rice