How to deal with hamster when they die

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#16 Marlene

Marlene

Baby Hamster

• 36 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 12:44 PM

I do pretty much as Peaceful does ...only with out the salt...never thought of that...All mine get buried out in the back yard under a Japanese tree in the garden.

#17 rebel226

rebel226

Rookie Hamster

• 93 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 02:25 PM

Interesting to read what you all do with your little dude after he/she dies.  Personally I don't believe in doing anything too elaborate such as "mummification" of the remains but I do bury them in the back yard much against the wishes of my stepdad who don't appreciate me digging up his land.  If I had a choice yeah cremation sounds good.  I know I wanna be cremated when I die.

#18 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,997 posts

• My Syrian(s):0
  • My Dwarf(s):8

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 26 June 2003 - 02:39 PM

but I do bury them in the back yard much against the wishes of my stepdad who don't appreciate me digging up his land.

"his" land. *sigh* my condolences.

#19 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

• My Dwarf(s):0

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 27 June 2003 - 05:24 AM

I also don't agree with the act of mummifying a dead hamster.  :hmmm:

#20 rebel226

rebel226

Rookie Hamster

• 93 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 05:59 AM

Yeah "mummification" of a hamster's remains sounds kind of extreme to me.  Interesting to read that some actually attempt to do it.

#21 Dark_Crystal

Dark_Crystal

Baby Hamster

• 22 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 07:19 AM

I know people that have had their hamsters stuffed and put in glass. That runs about a 100 bucks.

I personally bury mine in a open section in the woods so it's pretty out there and it's peaceful when I want to spend time thinking about them.

#22 LifesEagle

LifesEagle

Baby Hamster

• 8 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 01:19 PM

When my hamster died a few years ago, we placed it in a tissue box and buried it at the end of the garden.

#23 yuri0805

yuri0805

Junior Hamster

• 157 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 07:14 PM

when my hammies died 5yrs ago (my first pair) i put them inside a box and put lots of beddings n food inside it... and i buried them in a playground near my old flat.. dont know whether the playground still there anot cause i've moved 4yrs ago.. sad...

#24 Kokol

Kokol

Banned

• Banned
  • 153 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 03:50 AM

I first put mine in a clear container. I bury mine in our desert (I live in the desert part of Utah USA) Then I put a rock or symbol by their grave so I can visit it every so often.(My mom ownz a Floral Shop so I can get free flowerz ;D)

#25 yuckie_cookie

yuckie_cookie

Baby Hamster

• 43 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 02:26 AM

I would be sooooo upset if Milo died suddenly and invite all of my closest friends, I would have like a real funeral and wear all black and probably bury him next to the roots of my favourite tree cause my mom does gardening so.......eek. anyway I would dig really deep, cover him in tissue, close the box and then lower it and bury him carving his name is the tree.

#26 wireless-mouse

wireless-mouse

Junior Hamster

• 137 posts

• Mood:

Posted 01 August 2003 - 11:00 PM

*sniff*sniff* yeah....i did pretty much the same thing as everyone else when Hammie died...wrapped her in some tissue paper and then put her in a pretty tin box and buried her under a tree in my backyard... i also made a head stone for her.... :'(

#27 maine_ho

maine_ho

Junior Hamster

• 100 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 12:25 AM

after reading this post i feel so scared. im so scared my hamsters will die. it had nv cross my mind until i read this. wat kinda box r u all referrin to? where can i get box where its air tight and small in size(for ww)? so far wats the guiness record for winterwhite lifespan?

#28 Charmer

Charmer

Action Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 5,046 posts

• My Dwarf(s):0

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 07 August 2003 - 12:58 AM

I bury my deceased pets in the back yard.I put the small animals in jars,and the bigs in taped up boxes.Then I use a brick for tombstone. :candle:

#29 Frisby

Frisby

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 308 posts

• Mood:

Posted 27 September 2003 - 05:10 AM

I put um in seelable bags ( I wish I never had to bary Frisby). :ashamed:

#30 scabbers

scabbers

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,022 posts

• My Dwarf(s):4

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 31 October 2003 - 10:48 AM

I buried my Scabbers in my yard. There is a wooden cross by her grave.

I don't think you should mumify, or cremate a deceased hamster/ or even any pet.