Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,434 posts

• My Syrian(s):3
  • My Dwarf(s):1

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

I live in a rented ground floor flat (I guess the nearest equivalent would be "apartment" in the US) and share a communal garden, so burying any pets wouldn't really be an option for me. I like the idea of burying pets in plant pots with flowers, but I suck and being able to keep plants alive :P
I'm having Millie cremated and the ashes I'm going to mold into a polymer clay bead which I'll wear on a bracelet 'cause Millie's favourite place was always in my sleeve :)
There are websites which cast ashes into glass ornaments and jewellery, but they're prohibitively expensive. Polymer clay jewellery is an attractive option for a nice memorial which isn't costly.

#167 Jellybaby86

Jellybaby86

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 462 posts

• My Syrian(s):4
  • My Dwarf(s):0

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:18 AM

That's a sweet thought. I had Thynchie Cremated as well. I was going to spin her ashes into a glass pendant to wear next to my heart, but there where so few ashes there, I was scared. I wasn't;t sure if she would have liked to have been trapped in glass. All of my others have been burred. She was so special to me though. I felt I had to give her a warrior's sending. But I am not sure if I wanted her separated from my others as well. I am still undecided.
But I still have her ashes, safe, if I ever decide to have that pendant.

#168 Azayles

Azayles

Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,434 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:00 AM

You know, seeing how badly Millie had declined, and how she kept picking up only to fall back down again reminded me a lot about what you went through with Tynchie. I knew it was hard for you, but I really didn't know HOW hard until now.
I have a new-found respect for you, just knowing how strong you had to be to get through this. I am in awe of you.

I wondered, actually, how much ashes do you get back? I imagine very little? I'm going to use this bracelet
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2240466.htm

And this bead core
http://www.metalclayfindings.com/product/9992264.aspx

to make my bead. That way Millie is forever in my sleeve. Her favourite most place.

I'm sure Tynchie would be pleased however you chose to honour her memory. Like I said to another friend of mine when her hamster, Biscuit, passed, there is no right or wrong way.
:heartbeat:

#169 Jellybaby86

Jellybaby86

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 462 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:23 AM

It looks like a beautiful necklace. Tynchie's ashes where barely more then a teaspoon. It is heartbreaking to see them reduced to so little. I wasn't prepared for it.

#170 Azayles

Azayles

Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,434 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:25 AM

A teaspoon's more than I thought it was gonna be then. Although I'll probably be quite surprised when I pick them up next week, and probably upset all over again. Oh dear D;

#171 Jellybaby86

Jellybaby86

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 462 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:28 AM

It isn't easy. I thought I had done all my crying but that was such a difficult day. xx

#172 abdulmuhsee

abdulmuhsee

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • My Syrian(s):2

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:36 AM

I'm having Millie cremated and the ashes I'm going to mold into a polymer clay bead which I'll wear on a bracelet.

I read your beautiful farewell letter and I can see why you'd want to do this, so this is just my 2 cents and not at all a criticism, but wouldn't it be better to simply let her return to the earth? Do you really need a physical object to remember Millie?

Will having her ashes bound in a piece of jewelry actually equate to her being there, and if so, what if the bead is dropped/breaks, and what if the bead outlasts you?

If it breaks, you may have to sweep it up and throw it away, or at best, unceremoniously scatter the pieces of the bead instead of having taken the opportunity to scatter the ashes initially.

If it does last, then what will become of it when you die? Unless you specifically have someone do something special with it or have it in your will, which they may or may not do, it could also end up as trash.

And there's plenty of other scenarios where, for example, you lose it and it ends up with someone else, eventually making its way to the dustbin.

So please consider scattering her ashes to the earth and saying your farewells instead of trying to bound her essence in a bead.

#173 Azayles

Azayles

Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,434 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:57 PM

From what I've heard from people who've had their hamsters cremated, you get back a sizeable amount of ashes. About a teaspoon. This is more than enough for a memorial bead, so a tiny amount I'll use for the bead, the rest I'll scatter when the weather's nicer and there's flowers in bloom.
Millie is playing over at rainbow bridge now, her spirit free of the body which failed her. The ashes are only representative of her material self, not of her spirit, and when she was alive, her most favourite place was in my sleeve. Even in her last moments, she struggled with her last fragment of strength to crawl in my sleeve, as if to bid a final farewell.
I think she would feel honoured that part of her material self would be forever close to me, under my sleeve, where she always loved to be :)

If the bead breaks, I can fix it. If it's lost, I can find it, and when I pass on, the bead will pass on with me. :)
  • Pom-Pom likes this

#174 Selina_chan

Selina_chan

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 551 posts

• My Syrian(s):1

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

:) I love your idea azayles it's so sweet I really wish I could have done this for Panya she was just a baby dwarf and still so small I couldn't bring myself to get her cremated, I buried my guinea pig scoggie in our garden and I thought this is also the best place for her, so I can plant some pre grown flowers (I'm also terrible at caring for them) something with a strong delicate red jut like her candy eyes. :( Panya seemed to I through the exact same as Millie up and down it was heartbreaking :( I realise what you went through now but I'm glad to see that you will treasure her forever :). I only wish I'd had Panya as long as you had Millie :) you were lucky to be graced with her loving you back for all that time ^_^ may she rest in peace with Panya at rainbow bridge.

I always imagine Millie being the kind mother figure at rainbow bridge ^^

#175 Littleali21

Littleali21

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • My Syrian(s):0

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

I live I'm a rented house. Whilst there is a yard it's all concrete,slate,stones. No actual soil.

For our Mik I got a large ceramic plant pot and buried him in there. He was named after an everton player so I decorated the stop of it with blue and white sand an a few pebbles. As his headstone, I used his toadstool ornament that he used to sleep in.

Did the same for Dixie. But he has peach glass beads (he was a gingery peachy colour) and he's got his seasaw as his headstone.

That way if I ever move I can take them with us :) x

#176 Pom-Pom

Pom-Pom

Baby Hamster

• 5 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

My name is Jolie. I am a 13-year-old girl who is about to lose her hamster Pom-Pom. Pom-Pom has been fighting a huge tumor for quite some time. I hope all hamsters at Rainbow Bridge welcome her with open arms. Any advice on what I should do to help her go peacefully?

#177 Luci

Luci

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,277 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:15 AM

My name is Jolie. I am a 13-year-old girl who is about to lose her hamster Pom-Pom. Pom-Pom has been fighting a huge tumor for quite some time. I hope all hamsters at Rainbow Bridge welcome her with open arms. Any advice on what I should do to help her go peacefully?

First of all, I am very sorry to hear about little Pom-Pom :sad: Last year (I was 13 as well!), I had a hamster named Harley who had a tumor that couldn't be operated on by his cheek. I would recommend extra bedding and tissues with your scent on it (hold a tissue in your hands for a while) and shred them up so she's comfortable. Get rid of any objects that have pointier edges and give her lots of love and treats. Hold her if it makes her comfortable and talk to her even if you're just passing by her cage. If you find her one day and she is barely able to function (back legs not working well, shakiness, cold, etc.), it may be best to bring her into a vet and have her euthanized. I found my Harley one afternoon like this and had to do just what I described. I got to hold him in a washcloth and pet him while he passed away in my hands. It's a very sad decision to make but if you find Pom-Pom one day barely functioning, the kindest decision is to have her put to sleep so she is not suffering any more. Best of luck :hug:
  • Pom-Pom likes this

#178 Pom-Pom

Pom-Pom

Baby Hamster

• 5 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

Luci, thank you so much. Pom is my first hammy and her tumor is on her leg. Hopefully at Rainbow Bridge she will be able to free herself from anymore suffering. If she begins to get like that, I will do the best I can to help her die peacefully. Thank you :')

#179 Pom-Pom

Pom-Pom

Baby Hamster

• 5 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:28 AM

First of all, I am very sorry to hear about little Pom-Pom :sad: Last year (I was 13 as well!), I had a hamster named Harley who had a tumor that couldn't be operated on by his cheek. I would recommend extra bedding and tissues with your scent on it (hold a tissue in your hands for a while) and shred them up so she's comfortable. Get rid of any objects that have pointier edges and give her lots of love and treats. Hold her if it makes her comfortable and talk to her even if you're just passing by her cage. If you find her one day and she is barely able to function (back legs not working well, shakiness, cold, etc.), it may be best to bring her into a vet and have her euthanized. I found my Harley one afternoon like this and had to do just what I described. I got to hold him in a washcloth and pet him while he passed away in my hands. It's a very sad decision to make but if you find Pom-Pom one day barely functioning, the kindest decision is to have her put to sleep so she is not suffering any more. Best of luck :hug:

I'm so sorry about Harley :( may he play with the other hammies forever more! Sounds like you and me both have unfortunate tumor incidents. I gave Pom-Pom the tissue with my scent on it, and she seemed to perk up. Thank you again for your help :)

#180 bibble hamster

bibble hamster

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 69 posts

• My Syrian(s):1

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:10 AM

you could even section off a bit of your garden with wooden planks and have it as a hamster burial ground with homemade coffins and grave stones.That means you can visit its grave every day Posted Image
  • Pom-Pom likes this