How to deal with hamster when they die

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#1 jessica

jessica

Baby Hamster

• 10 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 11:36 AM

Sorry...for posting this kind of thread but i don't know how to deal with hamster when they die....buired them or put them where then is not cruel.and don't know if singapore got any place to buired or not?...coz i scared them for dying one day....hamster normally got how many lifespan?

#2 _TingSteR

_TingSteR

Junior Hamster

• 170 posts

• Mood:

Posted 07 June 2003 - 02:53 AM

think u can go bury it at a park or something ba... the lifespan depends on ur breed... but will be around two to three years.... :boat:

#3 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

• My Syrian(s):0
  • My Dwarf(s):0

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 07 June 2003 - 09:29 AM

I bury mine in the playground. I don't like the feeling of throwing them away. Did so b4 when I just started keeping hamsters and I feel terrible, even till today.
  • MischievousHamster likes this

#4 jessica

jessica

Baby Hamster

• 10 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 02:23 AM

it's kind of feeling sad...how come singapore don't have a place to bury animals....coz nowaday playground don't have sand ....u bury your hamster in the sand right? Many places all land don't have enough sand to bury

#5 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,963 posts

• My Dwarf(s):8

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 08 June 2003 - 07:10 AM

i live in the u.s. so i guess i'm very lucky to have a garden where i've buried all my babies... but i know many people both in the u.s. and elsewhere don't have this kind of yard.

do you have a favorite place outside in nature that maybe you go to? someplace that is special to you? i know that if this is not possible, many people also have their vets cremate their hamsters and either keep their ashes with them in a special container, or else take their ashes and scatter them outside someplace special.

forgive me i'm ignorant of singapore and whether you have many outdoor places like parks, or lakes or beaches, or similar areas where you might be able to bury your hamster.
  • Happy hamsterz and The Hamily like this

#6 jessica

jessica

Baby Hamster

• 10 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 06:26 AM

thanks for your advice but i do have parks nearby but they don't have sand....will it be very weird to bury it on beaches with many ppl steping?

#7 dusty

dusty

Popstar Ham

• Admin Team
  • 4,760 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 15 June 2003 - 08:15 AM

thanks for your advice but i do have parks nearby but they don't have sand....will it be very weird to bury it on beaches with many ppl steping?

erm, i don't think that's a good idea, coz lots of kids like to dig the sand and build sandcastles! (at least, that's what i like to do when i was a kid, and i dug really deep!) i seriously don't think that is a gd permanent resting place for any pets!  :rose:

parks or fields with trees/shrubs should be more suitable.  :rainbow:
  • LaineyHams and OIive like this

#8 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,963 posts

• My Dwarf(s):8

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 15 June 2003 - 09:19 AM

i guess i mentioned beaches because where i live, in New England, many of the beaches have wild areas with sand dunes, tall beach grass and other areas that aren't right on the water and where people don't sit to sunbathe, etc. the people only go on the sandy beach part near the water. in fact we buried our jubJub at just such a beach area, far from where any people would actually sit and certainly no kids would be digging. we buried jubJub here because she loved rolling in her sandbox and we thought it was appropriate. but again i have to say that it was in the wild, sand-dune grassy part of this beach. New England and Rhode Island beaches are not like more tropical beaches... sry for the confusion!

#9 dusty

dusty

Popstar Ham

• Admin Team
  • 4,760 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 15 June 2003 - 11:09 PM

sorry missPixy! i dun mean to discredit u or anything!

u see, beaches in singapore are mostly artificially reclaimed land so we dun have like wild areas or long stretches. so sad!  :-[ i guess coz of the limited beach area, there would be people around just about everywhere. so just to clarify, my previous post was targeting singapore beaches.

it is a nice gesture u did for your hamster! i'm sure she would like the sand!  :rainbow:

#10 _TingSteR

_TingSteR

Junior Hamster

• 170 posts

• Mood:

Posted 16 June 2003 - 11:18 PM

i buried mine at the park last saturday 14/06/2003... under a bush.... where there is soil to dig a hole in n bury... i put it in a box first....

#11 _TingSteR

_TingSteR

Junior Hamster

• 170 posts

• Mood:

Posted 16 June 2003 - 11:19 PM

hope that it wont get attack by a lot of worms... it will be a sad sight to see... if my hammies die again i will bury them at the same place ba...

#12 Invisible_Fish

Invisible_Fish

Baby Hamster

• 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 03:26 PM

: aaahh reminds me of chicklets............not the gum.

#13 hammyluver

hammyluver

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 681 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 19 June 2003 - 06:45 PM

when my hamster dies i am planing on either burying it in my yard and if not i'm gonna cremate her and put her ashes in a necklace. i would wear that necklace all the time (except when i took a shower) i love my hammy SO much and i'm probably not gonna get out of bed for a month when she dies :worried:

#14 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 22 June 2003 - 07:12 PM

A vet told me you can cremate hamsters at Mount Vernon... but that's going to cost and you can call to check if you are interested.

#15 Peaceful_Hammie

Peaceful_Hammie

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 356 posts

• Mood:

Posted 25 June 2003 - 09:30 PM

Well I would give mine a mummy-type of burial. First I sprinkle lots of salt on the body(Makes body intact longer). Then, I wrap the deceased hamster in 5-10 layers of toilet paper and then plastic. Then I put the deceased hamster in a tight box, and bury it.