Action Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 5,066 posts

• My Syrian(s):0
  • My Dwarf(s):0

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 02 October 2005 - 12:09 AM

Hamster Hideout does not promote the breeding of hamsters. 

Our "Breeding" board was started more for "accidental pregnancies", for example, when a male and female are housed together unintentionally. Also, the SPCA never supports breeding because they can't cope with all the animals at the pound already.

Most importantly, you have to be extremely knowledgable in the genetics of hamsters to successfully accomplish this task. Also, because this is not certain in pet shop hamsters, this can be extremely difficult and dangerous to your hamster. Death can occur. You will also run the risk of incurring expensive vet bills.

HH reserves the right to delete any topic in the breeding section that does not reflect the use of this board as intended. 

Thank you all for your understanding.

~ The HH Moderating Team
  • HammyMaster26 likes this

#2 hammieluvr686

hammieluvr686

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 810 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 06 November 2005 - 09:00 PM

Thanks MM!
~hammieluvr686

#3 Hamsteys

Hamsteys

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,197 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:49 AM

good post MM!:)

#4 Dezilu

Dezilu

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,394 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:05 PM

*raises hand* i have a question! what if u want to breed hamsters, and ur using this board to GET (not yelling) an extensive amount of knowledge about breeding and genetics? i can see why u would not promote irrisponsible on-the-spot breeding w/o any research. but, what if u really and truly just would like to know as much as u can about breeding and genetics SO (not yelling) that u can do it RITE (not yelling)? b/c ive noticed that there r already professional breeders on the board, and they help victims of unintintional pregnancies. i would like to be of help to those people too and would also like to breed. i have done 4 months worth of constant research and i think im ready for my first litter. so, i was just wondering about ppl like me who truly want to know evry thing about breeding b4 they start.

desi =)
  • stephs hammies likes this

#5 KKat

KKat

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • Location:In the middle of a farmland (*hint: there's a UC here)

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:47 PM

As response to desi, usually, most people that answer the breeding topics come onto you as lecturing, mean people that command you not to breed for any case, but as a fact, they're trying to prevent most "I-want-to-breed" children to think twice before actually doing it. Most that want to breed tend to be (no offense to anyone :cheeky: ) impulsive and reckless about breeding just because they want "to see baby hamsters."

As far as just asking questions, I wouldn't think there's any problem to it but however, members will still drop comments advising against the act of breeding for multiple reasons, one being for the hamster's well-being and another for the breeder's own dissapointment. I mean, the topics here are public and those wishing to breed might come along a topic and decide that since no one is approving or disapproving the act, it's fine.

If you solely want to know about genetics and such, I would suggest going to the library or to other resources and use this place as a secondary resort; some, not all, will withhold information about breeding from you, thinking you will go on and breed irresponsibly. There's really no reason to ask here if you don't have the intention of breeding, which is probably why every other topic here contains a dissaproving post that argues against breeding.

While I'm at it I might as well add, some replies are quite harsh, as in where the member talks in caps, with a lot of exclamation marks or in an imperative tone. (no offense to anyone :cheeky:) I'd just like to say that posts as such tend to lead to arguments where the "wants-to-breed" person claims she is knowledgable in the field and the other says she is not. Of course, this almost always leads to the person breeding anyways, to prove that she can do it responsibly. It'll be, in my opinion, more effective if you just refer them to the breeding policies or list the possible consequences to discourage the breeder.

BTW, good post MM! :veryhappy:

Ehh, one more thing to add; openly showing that you are suggesting an option rather than firmly stating a fact will probably have less chance of triggering an unneccessary retort/dispute. :wave: Just my opinion.

Edited by KKat, 12 June 2006 - 01:00 PM.

• Enihusky and hammytoo like this

#6 monkeysmom

monkeysmom

Action Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 5,066 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 01 August 2006 - 01:57 AM

Because of the position HH takes on breeding, we don't really allow topics about the "how-to" of breeding, because it will encourage those that may not really be prepared to try it.

Someone that is really invested in breeding hamsters, and doing it properly, will take the time to do the proper research through resources such as books that can provide genetic information. An internet forum really isn't the place for this type of research (in my humble opinion) because it consists of a lot of opinions on subject matter, and not always facts. I'm not always saying this is the case, but I find that it is better, and more responsible, if people visit their local library for more conclusive/hard facts to support the breeding process, which will help eliminate deformities, death, and unneccessary trauma.

I hope this at least helps explain my own outlook on the situation.

~ MM :goodvibes:

Edited by monkeysmom, 01 August 2006 - 01:58 AM.

#7 jmskitten04

jmskitten04

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 65 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 23 August 2006 - 01:44 PM

i have a question can i make a post asking those of accidental births in floridathat i would like some babies??? lol
i really want some aby hammies but not from a pet store... badbreeds here

#8 xLista

xLista

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 27 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:10 AM

Hamster Hideout does not promote the breeding of hamsters.

Our "Breeding" board was started more for "accidental pregnancies", for example, when a male and female are housed together unintentionally. Also, the SPCA never supports breeding because they can't cope with all the animals at the pound already.

Most importantly, you have to be extremely knowledgable in the genetics of hamsters to successfully accomplish this task. Also, because this is not certain in pet shop hamsters, this can be extremely difficult and dangerous to your hamster. Death can occur. You will also run the risk of incurring expensive vet bills.

HH reserves the right to delete any topic in the breeding section that does not reflect the use of this board as intended.

Thank you all for your understanding.

~ The HH Moderating Team

<x3
I see.
Thanks a lot!

#9 dusty

dusty

Popstar Ham

• Admin Team
  • 4,760 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:18 PM

Here is a collection of inspiring stories on the joys of adopting hamsters instead of breeding them:

http://hamsterhideout.com/blog/hamstertails/

#10 DwarfHamster Man

DwarfHamster Man

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 13 posts

• My Dwarf(s):2

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:20 PM

ehm what is this with the genetics??? is it in case You have a phsycaly handicaped one or what??

#11 artchic528

artchic528

Rookie Hamster

• Banned
  • 95 posts

• My Syrian(s):1

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:27 PM

ehm what is this with the genetics??? is it in case You have a phsycaly handicaped one or what??

Most animals ( i.e. fish, rodents, birds ) that are available for adoption/purchase in pet stores are usually a result of over breeding/inbreeding ( sometimes accidental breeding ) just to keep up a supply for the demands ( and prophet of course ) and thus have terrible genes for breeding further. Therefore its highly ill advised for one to go about letting such animals reproduce.

Most of the time these kinds of animals are bred, its usually done just for the purpose of having endearing babies to look at and handle without proper consideration of how to make sure the parents and the babies are healthy, happy, and well taken care of.

If you are considering becoming a serious breeder of any animal, proper procedure is to be taken. You need time, money, space and the in depth knowledge of genetics for the animal you are breeding, as well as a list of future homes for any animals that you do not wish to keep for further breeding. A good vet that specializes in the animal(s) which you are breeding is highly recommended, if not mandatory, as well.

One should also note that proper breeding produces little, if any, prophet as any incoming money would be spent on supplies, food, veterinary care and adding on more space.