Photo

Eggs with yolk

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#1 eching21

eching21

Baby Hamster

• 28 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 11:21 PM

Just wondering if it is okay to feed hamsters the yolk of a normal hard-boiled egg.. I know the white is good protein and a nice treat, but how about the yolk? If so, anybody has any idea how much is too much? :P My hamsters are dwarfs (robos and winter-whites, from young to fairly matured).

Thanks!! :)

#2 foxxyy

foxxyy

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 12:20 AM

Hi eching21 :wave:

It is fine to give your hamsters egg yolk. As long as you dont give more than half a egg yolk a day. The egg yolk has also alot of protein in it needed for a happy hamster. I wouldnt recommend feeding it a whole yolk, just maybe about half. Or not even. Because hamsters dont need that much and wont eat that much at one time.

#3 chipmon

chipmon

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 12:06 PM

agree with foxxyy. alternatively u can feed them half a quail egg which is very much smaller n contains higher level of nutrients ;)

#4 nottigal

nottigal

Rookie Hamster

• 99 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 02:23 PM

i gave both egg white & egg yolk to my hammies but they only eat the egg white & leave the egg yolk untouch. very wasted!

#5 eching21

eching21

Baby Hamster

• 28 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 06:58 PM

Hmm.. was wondering, is there such a thing as cholesterol in hamsters? :P

#6 XpErIEnCe

XpErIEnCe

Baby Hamster

• 16 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 11:39 AM

Yolks are high in cholestrol. Cholestrols are found in most of the living organisms, just a matter of quantity.

Just keep in mind that dwarf hamsters are prone to obesity and its unhealthy. Quail eggs have more than twice the cholestrol than normal chicken egg and its more harmful than beneficial.

Half an egg yolk is too much. If you were to read up animal nutrition, vets rate quantities according to pet's weight. A dwarf weighs around 30g and Syrian around 150g ?? Work out your ratio when a doctor commends that human should take only an egg yolk a day only (our weight is around 60kg!), and provided we are more active then them...

#7 chipmon

chipmon

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 12:58 PM

Just keep in mind that dwarf hamsters are prone to obesity and its unhealthy. Quail eggs have more than twice the cholestrol than normal chicken egg and its more harmful than beneficial.

many ppl has misconceptions abt the cholestrol level for quail eggs as compared to chicken eggs. abt a mth ago, i visited one of the quail farms in spore n the owner said in the past, lab results were taken based on 1 quail egg n 1 chicken egg n because chicken egg is very much bigger than 1 quail egg, it contains far more egg white n thus quail egg was mistaken for consisting a higher level of cholestrol. however, recent lab results based on the same milligrams of egg yolk/egg white has shown that 1 chicken egg is actually equivalent to 5 quail eggs. if we only feed half/one quail egg to our hamster once or twice a wk, it will not cause any health issues to them. all there were reported in one of the local newspapers. can find the newspapers cuttings in the quail farm :veryhappy:

this is the url of the quail farm.
http://www.lwhfarm.com/

#8 auturmis

auturmis

Baby Hamster

• 10 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 01:02 PM

many ppl has misconceptions abt the cholestrol level for quail eggs as compared to chicken eggs. abt a mth ago, i visited one of the quail farms in spore n the owner said in the past, lab results were taken based on 1 quail egg n 1 chicken egg n because chicken egg is very much bigger than 1 quail egg, it contains far more egg white n thus quail egg was mistaken for consisting a higher level of cholestrol. however, recent lab results based on the same milligrams of egg yolk/egg white has shown that 1 chicken egg is actually equivalent to 5 quail eggs. if we only fed half/one quail egg to our hamster once or twice a wk, it will not cause any health issues to them. all there were reported in one of the local newspapers. can find the newspapers cuttings in the quail farm :veryhappy:

ermm.. yea.. quail egg has been proven to be healthier than normal eggs already..

i feed it to my hamsters and they love it..

#9 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 01:29 PM

dats interesting and useful info :) unfortunately, my current hamsters refuse to touch the quail eggs, I tried feeding them twice already. they don't know what's good for them! :crybuckets:

#10 cutieb78

cutieb78

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 02:05 PM

Ohh... I love quail eggs...... love them when I eat with mee sua or yong tau foo or just on their own :cloud9:. Never tried feeding that to my hamsters. Will try next time. I know quail eggs r a little expensive than normal eggs though.

Thanks for the interesting info. Now I don't have to be afraid to take more quail eggs.

#11 Twilight

Twilight

Rookie Hamster

• 71 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 04:10 PM

dats interesting and useful info :) unfortunately, my current hamsters refuse to touch the quail eggs, I tried feeding them twice already. they don't know what's good for them! :crybuckets:

lol mine too. only my syrian eats it, actually it was only successful the 2nd time cuz the first time i introed to her, she kept playing with it (nibble a bit then spit nibble then spit)! she only eats the eggwhite tho. my dwarves just refused to touch it. i have a feeling they're put off by the eeky smell of the egg yolk, so the 2nd time i tried, i removed the egg yolk and left it in the dish for the night, the next morning i checked, it was almost finished. :biggrin:

#12 anirtep

anirtep

Baby Hamster

• 7 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 07:13 PM

I can vouch for quail eggs too :) my syrians love it and I do feed them half a quail egg, twice a week. Winter whites on the hand, don't really like it. They will eat A LITTLE egg white, and that's all.

#13 eching21

eching21

Baby Hamster

• 28 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 07:43 PM

How do you usually serve them these kinda fresh food? Mixed with their staple hamster mix, or by hand, or on the ground, or in a seperate food dish? Just asking cos I tried putting it neatly on top of their mix, and the fresh food stuffs got quite dirty and mixed with the shells of the nuts and other shavings.. Kinda unhygienic i think.. :P

#14 chipmon

chipmon

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 11:14 PM

u can give them in 2 diff food dishes or at diff times of the day :veryhappy: i dun mix them as sme fresh food r wet n hamster mix will bcme damp coz of it :biggrin:

#15 sue

sue

Baby Hamster

• 10 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 11:25 AM

yup. quail's eggs are good for hammies. i have 12 hammies (8 syrians, 2 robos and 2 WWs). they love quail's eggs. i feed them half an egg (hard-boiled and halved) three times a week. i do not deshell them since my syrians sometimes eat the shells as well. a good source of calcium.

if your syrians can finish an egg by themselves within a day, you may want to give them the whole thing. i give half since they get it often.

one of my syrians, chippy sam, has this habit of rolling the egg (one whole egg) around his tank before eating it. he looks like a david beckham wanna-be, kicking the egg around like a football!

quail's eggs are high in nutrious value. with regards to issues like comparison between size, we must remember that hammies are not humans. our digestive systems are different. the quantities of proteins, carbo and vitamins and minerals we need are different. hence, its difficult to compare just like that.