Photo

Can I bring my hamster on an airplane?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 icansaywhatimean

icansaywhatimean

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 03:19 AM

In the beginning of August I'm moving from Virginia to Colorado-
I really would like to bring my hamster, Tweak along with me- I'd be so sad with out her :(. The problem is, I'm flying- I'll be taking two planes which means she'll have to adjust to a dramatic change in altitude a total of four times (both times up and down).. I've heard of people tkaing their dogs and cats on planes, but never hamsters. I'm scared it might be a bit too much for her.. and I dont want her to be hurt or overly stressed. Can anyone give me some advice concerning my delima? I can leave her at home with my parents who will take good care of her, if need be- but if it wont be too traumatic or dangerous for her, I'd like to take her with me.
Please respond and help me make a good decision!
Thanks!

#2 Timi

Timi

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 04:15 AM

Firstly I would say it depends on her age and health status. I definitely wouldn't take an older hammy. I'm also wondering wherther the engines of the aircraft produces so high sound waves that can be heard by the hamster and irritate him...

#3 Stallion Fury

Stallion Fury

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 04:51 AM

eek, thats not a good idea, the frequency of radio waves, high altitude, cabin pressure=a not a good idea. if you do try it, i would recommend always keeping a scented tissue with her.

#4 Stargirl05

Stargirl05

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:37 AM

It can be done. Check your airline's animal policies first and phone and confirm that you are indeed able to take a hamster. Your hamster will have to be under your seat or in the overhead compartment, meaning, bring a flexible bag with a smaller travelling cage.

Put in one or two watery pieces of vegetable such as cucumber, put in more bedding than normal, in cause of wind turbulance (sp?) or bumps. Also, keep a scented tissue in there. :)

Good luck!

#5 Haruka

Haruka

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 06:08 AM

Take out the wheel too!

#6 icansaywhatimean

icansaywhatimean

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 08:08 AM

hmmm.. so that was kind of a mixed response-
She's about a year and a half old. She's very healthy- although she's had surgery once.. that was like 6 months ago, and she' s in perfect shape now. Will the radio frequency be a horrible problem? I will have her with me.. I will probably keep her under my seat b/c it will be easier to check on her there than in the overhead- plus I'm thinking the temp and air circulation may be a little more favorable there.
The air lines does allow hamsters to fly in the cabin with their owners- so that is no problem at all.. I'm just really concerned- and now, with this mixed response I'm still torn.
Does anyone else have any more advice? Any knowledge about the subject or any personal experiences someone could share would be greatly appreciated!
thanks!!! :wave:

#7 Hannah

Hannah

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:14 AM

I have taken my hamster on a plane resently (about a four hour flight) and she slept through most of it (it was early in the day), but I am not sure about an 18 month old hamster who has had surgery (I would definatly call your vet and get their opinion). Your hamsters personality is important too, if she is laid back and calm than she would do better than if she is nervous or hyper.

#8 Stargirl05

Stargirl05

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 09:50 PM

I wouldn't exactly trust your vet unless you've distinctively noticed a degree for completing a small animal course. My opinion, of course.

Your hamster will be fine. :) People ship everything across the globe from fish to dogs to ferrets...and even hamsters. The radio frequency shouldn't be bad...the hamster will not be close to the pilot at all and a few hours up in the air shouldn't be detrimental to his health.

Edited by Stargirl05, 20 July 2005 - 09:51 PM.

#9 icansaywhatimean

icansaywhatimean

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 08:35 AM

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to give it a try! :wave:

#10 bozo_the_dwarfie

bozo_the_dwarfie

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:38 PM

On most airlines they will not let you take your hammy onboard, instead they will keep it in a compartment in the back of the plane(it is much quiter there anyway). You can understand why they do it though, Health and safety and that lot.

The only problem is that he wont be too far away from the dogs and cats and other animals that ppl are flying with.

#11 Timi

Timi

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 07:12 AM

As ar as I know, only animals (mostly dogs) exceeding a kind of size limit are carried at where the luggages are... No way, it's COLD back there, a hammy wouldn't survive a second! :(
First get your vet to say sg about it.

If European Black Bear Hamster's hammy was fine, I'd say go. I was just afraid of the sound because my hamster is extremely sensitive to all high sounds!

#12 icansaywhatimean

icansaywhatimean

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 10:18 PM

I've already checked with the airlines- it costs a little more but she is allowed to fly with me. She just has to be in an approved carrier. My friend just brought her Welsh Corgi in from Colorado with her on a plane and the dog was able to stay with her- she kept her under her seat. I think it's just a matter of how big the animal is.

I will be giving my vet a call (the one who operated on her) just to get another opinion.

#13 bozo_the_dwarfie

bozo_the_dwarfie

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 10:59 PM

maybe its just english airlines?

Anyway, if you do take her, HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!

#14 Simone5

Simone5

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 11:14 PM

Tell us your vet;s opinion. If you decide to then I would so the scented tissue and Stick your hand near the bars so she can smell you through the ride.

Good Luck :)

Simone :veryhappy: :slaphappy:

#15 hammy_fan

hammy_fan

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:34 AM

i wouldnt recomend it if its a dwarf, their too crazy lol what would you carry her in, make sure its dark and le6s air in, but nott too much cousthe A/C is always cranked on the airplanees..
~hf