Photo

alert of petshop

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 kiahwee

kiahwee

Baby Hamster

• 15 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:58 PM

hi all :hamster2:,
just tot i shld inform u all bout this. there's this petshop in tampines 201 where the petshop owner claims that x breeding of campbells and ww are allowed. i didnt know bout this till i bought my friend to buy hammies from them. boy was i angry when i know it. obviously he tot sapphire is another hamster breed since he keep telling me sapphire and campbells can breed one. make me all blur then i have the impulse to correct him. anyway i'm sure there isnt a campbell color call sapphire and i've read that hydbirds are strictly not allowed. anyway just tot i shld leave a msg here to alert people if they want to buy hammies from them.

kiahwee :hamster2:

#2 bozo_the_dwarfie

bozo_the_dwarfie

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:53 PM

You can breed campbells and winter whites, There both a sort of campbell dwarf.

It is probably the only cross you can do.

and kiawee,,, MAKE YOUR WRITING BIGGER...lol.

#3 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 05:52 AM

It is possible but not healthy.

#4 lilhammychick88

lilhammychick88

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:56 AM

Yea, it's possible, but really not good for the hammies.

#5 kiahwee

kiahwee

Baby Hamster

• 15 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 09:29 PM

generally this kind of breeding shld be avoided... producing of hybirds is not good....

#6 Baby123

Baby123

Baby Hamster

• 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 08:50 AM

generally this kind of breeding shld be avoided... producing of hybirds is not good....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sorry :wave:
Juz want to know what is hybird?
Bit confuse..
:huh:

Baby 123

#7 dusty

dusty

Popstar Ham

• Admin Team
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 09:35 AM

sorry :wave:
Juz want to know what is hybird?
Bit confuse..
:huh:

Baby 123

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hybrids would be an offspring from two different species. They don't normally occur in nature and are usually "forced" to mate in captivity. Yes, hybrids of campbells and winter whites are a no-no because they will be prone to problems.

#8 lawla12

lawla12

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 11:45 AM

u mean the petshop at blk 201 where they sell fish too ? it's just in front of the mainroad rite ?

if tats the shop, YUCKS....i saw the hammies there b4....rather unheathly...those hammies haf wounds on them....the cages r dirty too....rather disgusting.....

#9 soul

soul

Baby Hamster

• 10 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 03:49 PM

can always report to the AVA and ask them to do a check on the shop...

#10 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 09:18 PM

sigh... hybrids aren't good... nowadays i prefer to get from breeders since at least I know the hamsters come from a healthy family line and was not in bred or cross bred.

#11 IncaKola

IncaKola

Baby Hamster

• 11 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 03:24 AM

Yes, I agree with everyone above. It is not healthy for the ham-hams, it could cause problems, take it from me, my friend tried it and all the pups died. Please don't try it.

#12 Stallion Fury

Stallion Fury

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:15 AM

yeah hybrids are a combination of genes, if a weak or unhealthy gene is passed onto the offspring, you will be presented with problems

#13 pamgordon

pamgordon

Baby Hamster

• 15 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:29 PM

Hi all,
If you spot anything wierd about a petshop, report it to AVA. I once passed a petshop and it was terrible. There was a cage of mother hamster with newborns but the bedding was not enough. Then, there was another small rusty cage with 2 rabbits inside. The rabbits couldn't move at all. Worse, all the cages were left outside exposed to sun and rain. I was so cheeseed that I emailed a long letter to AVA about the shop. A week later, the shop went bust! I was so happy!!! Although the owner had lost his livelihood, I feel that it's a punishment he deserves for ill treating the animals.

#14 bru

bru

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:50 PM

pamgordon, that's an excellent move! i'm glad that the shop is not in operation anymore =)

i will certainly inform the AVA if i ever come across such horrible pet shops.

#15 Stallion Fury

Stallion Fury

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:12 PM

just to be clear on sumthing...if u breed a hybrid, it like fitting a pipe with another pipe thats not the same size. one will fit in the other, but water will flow out. similarly, a horse crossed with a donkey produces a mule. now the mule is physically healthy

It is possible but not healthy.

, but the mule is sterile. similarly, the ham hybrid may be physically healthy, but it will most likely have genetic diseases, not commonly seen in purebred hams sorry to pick on u CH...

so to make a long story short, hybrid hams can be physically healthy, but genetically diseased.. you may not see physical symptoms immediately...