Photo

In your country, what language do people speak?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#16 mushroomelissa

mushroomelissa

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:28 AM

in singapore we have

national language:malay(something to do with our history)

officials languages:english,chinese,malay and tamil

and loads more due to e increasing numbers of immigrants here from everywhere... :nurse:

#17 Dezilu

Dezilu

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,394 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:03 AM

English is the main language for the USA. But, Spanish is very common is states such as, Texas, and New Mexico. I've also recently heard Vietnemese, and I have an Indian teacher who speaks Hindi as her first language. I don't think Indian is as common though.

Edited by Dezilu, 24 February 2008 - 03:11 AM.

#18 zirbo

zirbo

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:13 AM

well.....i live in asian nation, basically the part of the city where i live is mostly asian (its because of the good school district, and near the coast of california) so mandarian is very common, same with english

ive learned a couple of mandarian phrases due to the fact that most of my friends are asian :laughing:, but they're just funny ones nothing really i can make converstaion out of

#19 Lucky4me

Lucky4me

Hamster Clone

• Banned
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:33 AM

In the U.S.A. most people speak English, like me. I know a little Spanish, though, and a little Swedish. I am mostly Swedish, but my grandma taught me most of it. I am actully a lot of things, but I can't memorize them all. Here are some: English, Swedish, German, a tiny bit Danish, and some other ones.
My aunt can make Danish pancakes(she's mostly Danish) while my dad made up his best Swedish pancakes! Oooh they are so good!

#20 ^ Mau ^

^ Mau ^

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:09 AM

i knoe sum tagalog words lol
salamat . thanks
walan anoman . welcome
posaa. cat
sosee.key and alot .. i know the spelling is wrong but that just i learn LoL
and the main language in Kuwait is Arabic & English :)

#21 Niellyn

Niellyn

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:06 PM

Well Greece have greek ;p but almost everyone talks english but you don't hear it on the streets ^^

#22 Hamster Feet

Hamster Feet

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:32 PM

We speak English, obviously. :P

But there are many other languages that you might hear here, England is known for its cultural diversity. Indian languages are very common in places though, especially near here.

I also take French and Spanish in school, but I'm nowhere near fluent.

#23 Rachel_Morgan

Rachel_Morgan

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:27 AM

English is Spoken in Canada (fairly obvious). however, with Quebec still "miraculousy attached" to us, we're often required to learn French if we want a government job.
Of course, the school is trying to keep everyone learning french under the threat that certain colleges won't take people with secon languages but... wha? it doesn't mean it HAS to be French. give me a break.
So I have friends here spazzing about that and calling me crazy for dropping the course in Grade 8. I'm not going to need it.

besides that, well...

We have a lot of different backgrounds here, so you'll hear native, Indian, chinese (especially chinese in Vancouver area) SOMETIMES japanese, spanish... etc.

It's fairly nice. :)

-Rachel & The Zoo.

#24 jamesrockroll

jamesrockroll

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 640 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:02 AM

We speak English, probably quite obvious! LOL!
But it's not uncommon to hear Polish
I take French at school, but I'm not very good at it!

#25 Meowmies

Meowmies

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Writer Team
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 12:21 PM

Heh, my country's language dominates the world! :veryhappy:

Since I live in the London though, which is the multicultural capital of the country (and I think of Europe too?) I hear lots of languages every day. Most of my friends speak second languages because of their backgrounds. In some small areas you might not actually hear any english walking down the street. :P
I am quite ignorant though so I couldn't possibly name all of or tell apart all the languages I hear but I guess these are the most common: Punjabi, Bangla, Chinese, Polish, Japanese, Turkish ... and I don't really know what else, it all sounds foreign to me heh.

Then there are some parts of the country where the only language you will hear is English, I think.

#26 cami

cami

Baby Hamster

• 20 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:26 AM

In my country we speek romanian language (is a kind of latin+french+some european language).But if you came here and you don't know any language than english,you can speak very well because in all schools is teaching english and french.

#27 lilmariah

lilmariah

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:52 AM

In Wales, we speak mostly English. Our offical language is Welsh and even though it's taught in schools, not alot of people can speak it. It's mostly spoken in Mid and South Wales *X*