Photo

Do hamsters sweat ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 foxxyy

foxxyy

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 03:15 AM

I have been noticing lately that Acorn has had a wet back. wit furs sticking up all wet. And I notice its not from cleaning herself ether. Could they sweat because my room were she is in is not hot at all.

#2 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,963 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 07:05 AM

foxxy:: no, hamsters don't sweat. it's like dogs and cats and other animals with fur. even birds. they don't sweat either. when birds are really hot you'll see them with their feathers pressed very close to their bodies and their mouths open. this is how they "sweat." dogs sweat by panting. hamsters just seem to implode and get heat stroke.

what you could be seeing is perhaps acorn "showering" herself under her water bottle? i know many of my dwarfs enjoy standing under their water bottle and letting a few drops fall on them to help them clean. also, a few of mine like to make their nests directly under the water bottle (lazy!) and so what happens is that a few drops may wick on to their fur as they toss while they sleep.

the only other "wetness" i see in my hamsters is when they pee in their tunnels and then roll in the tunnel to imprint their scent. altho you'd be able to smell this on their fur... very different odor than drips from a water bottle! :laughing:

#3 quiet_star

quiet_star

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 09:34 AM

My hamster like to roll in their pee too. It looks really icky and they stink too:faint:. Luckily they stopped when i put bathing sand in their cage . Eww... :laughing:

#4 cutieb78

cutieb78

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 04:02 PM

Oh yea.... I know what u mean. They bath in their own pee... :laughing:

One of my robo also has this wet look. He is the only onw that loves to have this wet look. It makes him look...well... I think it makes him look stunning. Like he's getting ready 4 a date or trying to impress a girl.

Only my Pearl loves to build a nest under a water bottle. She made her nest there n nurse the babies there too. I was so worried that the water might wet the babies so I move the bottle to the opposite side. Now the babies r grown up so.. no need to worry bout that anymore.

#5 foxxyy

foxxyy

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 03:50 AM

Great thanks everyone and MissPixy! I havent noticed Acorn bathing in her pee but I have noticed her taking little "showers" from her water bottle. Thanks!

#6 FreebiesMommy

FreebiesMommy

Junior Hamster

• 190 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 04:25 AM

Sometimes when Freebie rubs his back underneath his water bottle he catches a small stream of water from the nozzle. SInce he is long haired, the fur looks "spiked" up like a mohawk! :raincloud:

#7 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,963 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 08:27 PM

yes i love when they do that! so stylin! :sun:

#8 Bunny Lover

Bunny Lover

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 04:45 AM

Dexter looks like a "Slikie" when he gets wet!

#9 moo

moo

Baby Hamster

• 28 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 10:15 AM

I asked because Flower ws in an airconditioned pet shop .

Since she got to my place, off and on she looks abit well ragged . I have got so used to the short fur of the dwarfs that Flowers slightly longer fur even when slightly damp looks ragged .

She looked clean and fresh at the pet shop . and right now shes active and running about the cage liek she hadnt a care in the world .

Im thinking that the "wet" look may be due to several factors
1) Over enthusiastic grooming . I have seen her lick her hands foerever and then wipe her face many times .
2) heat because the weather in mid afternoon has been humid .. and our aircons and one fan have broken down . It wotn be until weekend at least that we can get new ones.. that is IF dh has the time ..My drwarfs dont seem to be looking ragged even though they live in the same conditions
3) OH no coudl it be another hammy tht plays with its pee?

I hada word with a dwarf breeder and he thinks it could be due to sweat ... the hammy is active , eats well , seems to be drinking enough ... so the wet look is baffling .
???

mei

#10 dusty

dusty

Popstar Ham

• Admin Team
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 09:52 AM

topics merged

hi, hamsters don't sweat.

Is her fur like ragged all over? or just certain parts? some hamsters like to groom and 'gel' a part of their fur as if to 'style' it. I guess it because they licked and wetted that part of the fur.

Or could it be she really wetted herself on purpose to keep cool?

Since you are not using air-con now, please try to get at least a fan working and circulate the air in your room. the weather in SG is really terribly humid and hot! :(

#11 moo

moo

Baby Hamster

• 28 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 07:49 PM

off and on its in certain parts ... sometiems she appears almost fluffy . some days especially if its humid she has the wet look on certai parts of her body .mei