Photo

HELP I think my hamster has wet tail!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 KittyCakes

KittyCakes

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 10:40 AM

PLEASE HELP

I have only had my hamster a week and I noticed she has poop all around her tail and it is wet!

I am so scared she might die!

What should I do now? I can't even touch her yet?

thanks all
Danielle

#2 Kelly_Bear

Kelly_Bear

Popstar Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 10:57 AM

is she a dwarf,or a syrian?
olny syrians can get wet tail.
get her some pedialyte (unflavored) and some unflavored yogurt & give that to her.
hows her breathing?is it labored or anyhting?you can put a heating pad set on low under her nesting corner to keep her warm for now.

get her to hte vet ASAP!!!!
she needs antibiotics very soon,as wet tail can kill within 48 hours.

good luck.

#3 KittyCakes

KittyCakes

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:05 AM

Sweetpea is a Syrian She is active and eating and drinking, I just noticed the diarreah that is all around her bottom. What can I do to help stop that before it turns into wet tail (or is it already)?

#4 nlynn1

nlynn1

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 02:18 AM

My hamster was like this for a couple days before it was obvious something serious was wrong. Start on hydrating him now phone a vet or pet store and see what you can do for him at home NOW to help prevent it from getting bad. Do a search on wet tail online and get info from there, you dont want to "wait" it out. Its fatal fast...

I lost my first hammy a little over a month ago 3.5 days after we got him to wet tail. By the time I realized something was wrong (it was my first hamster) it was too late.

What I did was put pedialite into his water, they say guine pig pellets are good for this, you can buy a antidiarreahal at the pet store and give it to them.

From what I have read online after loosing my guy to wet tail. Is that if your hamster actually has wet tail, there a high chance he will not survive. A visit to the vet would be most likely needed to save his life, and even then its often fatal. I cant imagine what the vet bills would be. And im not sure where your from but the vet in our town wont even deal with rodents (he will give suggestions etc though)

Im so sorry your little guy is sick. IF he does have wet tail he will get really weak and dehydrated, and you'll for sure be able to pick him up. My guy died in my hands, after a very long painfull death. :( not to scare you, im just trying to prepare you.

Good luck!

Edited by nlynn1, 12 April 2005 - 02:21 AM.

#5 KittyCakes

KittyCakes

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 02:22 AM

Well, I called the vet today and she thinks it is just diarrhea. Is there things i can do to help this? I have her on Dri Tail now, that should help with just diarreah but not wet tail.

thanks so much!

#6 Kelly_Bear

Kelly_Bear

Popstar Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 03:11 AM

dri tail or any petstore meds dont help with anything.they are pretty much worthless.and dont give guinea pig pellets either..

take out all of the food,and just give yogurt & (pedialyte 50%50% water/pedialyte solution on bottle)today.then tomorrow,add a bit of timothy hay to that..hopefully it will start to clear up.make sure he is drinking this,becuase he can get really dehydrated with diahrrea.

if it is wet tail,then you need to get the antibiotics.wet tail kills in 48 hours.

#7 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 09:32 AM

wet tail is a disease that destroys all the digestive bacteria in a hamster's intestines. "driTail" is like peptoBismol for hamsters... it stops the symptoms but is not going to save your hamster if she has wet tail.

do as kelly_bear says: mix plain pedialyte 50% to 50% spring water in the water bottle; 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon plain unflavored yogurt, the kind with active cultures, on the first day with no other food. on day 2, mix the yogurt on top of her regular seedmix. add a handful of timothy hay to her house for munching. all these things will help build up good digestive bacteria again.

the antibiotic of choice for hamsters is "baytril" because it's safe for them. any vet can prescribe you this. give .05ml 2X a day, for a week. tell your vet this is what you want. you will administer with a small oral syringe.

#8 leppy663

leppy663

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:16 AM

I know everyone here says that DriTail doesn't work, but that did save my little girl! Don't bet on it working, but if you can't get to a vet immediately, it's always good to have around. I had the same prob jsut after we got Creampuff. Hopefully we caught it in time, and the DriTail just so happened to work. But like I said, don't count on it working. Get to a vet ASAP!