Photo

hamsters fur looks wet!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 hsuk8218

hsuk8218

Baby Hamster

• 18 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:20 AM

the hamster just woke up and came out of its glass jar home and the fur looks wet! not fluffy like usual!!! i'm worried!! :undecided: is she sick??

could it be because i'm using the jar as a home? i never had this problem before the jar............... help!

#2 Simone5

Simone5

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:22 AM

I dont know, did u feel it and is it really wet? or does it just look wet, is it sticking together, matted down?

Maybe he went under his waterbottle earlier and rubbed against and got wet

#3 hsuk8218

hsuk8218

Baby Hamster

• 18 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:35 AM

i didn't feel it, it's just sticking together and matted down and im sure it wasn't the water bottle cause it was sleeping in her glass jar and then i noticed her fur was sticking together when she was in there, and then she just came out a few minutes ago and it was damp lookking! i didn't feel it though... this is the first time i've seen her fur like that... we've had for one week now and we're worried :(

Combined double post:

do hamsters sweat? could it be sweat?????

[Note: next time please use the edit button instead of posting one right after another! Thanks so much for your help and understanding! ~ MM :goodvibes: ]

Edited by monkeysmom, 31 March 2005 - 10:09 AM.

#4 Sandy 45

Sandy 45

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:02 AM

Only in the glass jar, are there enough air holes, it COULd be humidity the air could be getting all warm and stuck in there! Try a different home definalty, OR put more holes in or use something else as a lid!

Sandy~

#5 mint_91

mint_91

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 03:51 PM

I agree with what Sandy said.Provide more air holes for ur hamster.Maybe the ham feel hot.

^^Mint

#6 bozo_the_dwarfie

bozo_the_dwarfie

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:13 PM

it may be condensation.

#7 Simone5

Simone5

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:40 PM

yea, that could be true also

What bedding are you using (even tho it doesnt have much to do with this Q? it may help)

When my hammys run against their watterbottle a part of their fur gets matted down, i have a feeling he was playing underneath it or something b4 he went into his jar

#8 smile2374

smile2374

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:59 PM

Was the wetness on it's sides, or all over? Hamsters have marking glands on their sides, like a cat has on it's chin. Marking stuff is a hamster's way of saying "This is mine!" and after marking something it's hips look greasy, so that might be it.

#9 Cheeky

Cheeky

Action Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 5,348 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 02:12 AM

You learn something everyday

Change the jar to a can or plastic can(found at most pet shops). If you eat soup, then get the can(empty it, but dont waste it.) and clean it out. Then take one of those metal pokie things, and poke little holes in the can. Also put the can in a semi shaded area, not in direct sunlight. This might help, and could offer more privacy.

#10 J Man

J Man

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:26 AM

maybe ur ham slept in its pee? mine do thatevery now and then, i just let them take a sandbath and it gets better

it could also be skin oil that makes it look greasy

P.S. Hamsters don't sweat...they do not have sweat glands...

#11 RDreamers

RDreamers

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:03 AM

What kind of jar you refering to?
Have the pic?
What breed of hamster you refering to?

Maybe you can try putting him/her in a sandbath....

#12 hsuk8218

hsuk8218

Baby Hamster

• 18 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 01:58 PM

thanks for the responses everyone :)

turns out it was the condensation from the jar (it was a glass coffee jar) and we took it out and now the fur is back to its' fluffy self~!

although taking the jar away really made our hamster way too skiddish and now it's scared of everything, but i think the jar was making it sick so we had to take it away!

#13 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,824 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 09:32 PM

it's understandable that your hamster would like a little "nook" to hide away in, like a burrow.

there are a lot of other hamster igloos, nap nooks, etc on the market. just look for one that has adequate ventilation. there are even some made of natural fibers, but you'll have to replace it every few months because they're not really washable.

what i like to do is get one of these little hideaways and tuck it in a corner of my hamster's house. then i put some bedding inside the hideaway, and mound bedding and timothy hay on top of it, esp at the entrance.

this way, it really feels like a burrow opening in the wild for them, and your hamster will be more serene knowing she has a place for privacy.

#14 monkeysmom

monkeysmom

Action Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 5,066 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 11:03 PM

I'm glad you finally decided to take it away! :goodvibes: As Miss Pixy stated, there are many options out there that are a healthy alternative. Now that you know that WAS the problem...how about a trip to the pet shop? :biggrin:

Glad everything worked out fine!

~ MM :wave:

#15 smile2374

smile2374

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 06:15 AM

Good, I'm glad you found out what the problem was! You don't even need to buy a hide-away for your hamster, a small cardboard box will work as well.