Ullumini

Baby Hamster

• 12 posts
  • My Syrian(s):0
  • My Dwarf(s):2

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:28 PM

I usually get my bedding online, but just recently I realized the bedding they sell online were made of either pine or teak.
I don't live in a country where they sell quality bedding like carefresh, so I don't know what to do.
Other than laboriously ripping up paper and tissues for my hamsters, what other options do I have?

#2 thishouseisazoo

thishouseisazoo

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • My Dwarf(s):0

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:31 AM

I'll keep looking, but so far I've only found this

http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/110159-bedding-in-indonesia/

ETA: there are no subtitles, so I'm not sure what's covered in this video, but it might have some helpful info for you

Edited by thishouseisazoo, 11 October 2018 - 02:42 AM.

#3 Ullumini

Ullumini

Baby Hamster

• 12 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:04 PM

I'll keep looking, but so far I've only found this

http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/110159-bedding-in-indonesia/

ETA: there are no subtitles, so I'm not sure what's covered in this video, but it might have some helpful info for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nx4zkbtosI

Thank you so much for your help!

For the link, I couldn't find any of the brands suggested online or anywhere else.
For the video, the guy basically covered the dangerous types of hamster bedding sold locally in Indonesia. At the end he suggested ripping up tissue paper as bedding which is very time consuming.

If there are no options left, I think I might have to resort to spending extra money on expensive bedding or spending extra time on DIY bedding.

I do really appreciate the help, so thank you!

#4 Ullumini

Ullumini

Baby Hamster

• 12 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:10 PM

I found this bedding while searching online :

http://www.petmart.com.sg/product/vitakraft-kleintier-streu-wood-shavings/

Obviously I can't buy it at petsmart (there are no petsmarts in Indonesia), but I found it online and it won't break my bank. Only problem is that I don't know what kind of wood it's made of.
Can somebody tell me if it's safe?

#5 Rosemary12Aspen

Rosemary12Aspen

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 833 posts

• My Dwarf(s):1

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:47 PM

I found this bedding while searching online :

http://www.petmart.com.sg/product/vitakraft-kleintier-streu-wood-shavings/

Obviously I can't buy it at petsmart (there are no petsmarts in Indonesia), but I found it online and it won't break my bank. Only problem is that I don't know what kind of wood it's made of.
Can somebody tell me if it's safe?

Are you able to contact the company/producers? It's really not promising that the product doesn't disclose its materials anywhere.. but you might be able to get a clear answer if you say that you are concerned about allergies (whether it be yours or your pets').

#6 Ullumini

Ullumini

Baby Hamster

• 12 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:51 PM

Are you able to contact the company/producers? It's really not promising that the product doesn't disclose its materials anywhere.. but you might be able to get a clear answer if you say that you are concerned about allergies (whether it be yours or your pets').

I just did some more research and it's apparently made of softwood. Which means it's still no good.
I'm running out of bedding and I'm so tempted to buy the pine bedding online because it's so cheap and available, ugh.

I've googled how to make my own bedding but it seems time-consuming and I'm already busy enough. I'm running thin on options

#7 FloorCandy

FloorCandy

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 497 posts
  • My Syrian(s):2

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 13 October 2018 - 03:58 AM

An option you might consider is purchasing an inexpensive paper shredder, they have ones you just put over a trash can, so they're small and portable and usually very cheap. Then just shred inexpensive paper towels quickly and easily.

#8 thishouseisazoo

thishouseisazoo

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 59 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:14 AM

So from what I can tell Sundog either was absorbed by or changed its name to NiteAngel. NiteAngel products are pretty popular from ordering off the internet in the US, although you can't order the bedding. Do you get any results for NiteAngel?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bedding, Help