Photo

Dogs or Rabbits?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Poll: Dogs or Rabbits?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Do you think dogs or rabbits are better pets?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ♥LoveAlfie♥

♥LoveAlfie♥

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • My Syrian(s):1
  • My Dwarf(s):0

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:20 AM

Hi guys!  Trying to decide which pet would be better for me. I'd like to hear your opinions on which pet is better!

#2 Tangothehamster

Tangothehamster

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 852 posts
  • Location:Somewhere in this universe... I bet you know which planet

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:29 AM

Hmmmm, honestly I love them both soooo much. But for me personally, I have to go with rabbits. I just love their cute faces, and they are a better pet for me. I can't really have a dog because my current pets would not mix well with a dog, and my family has some mild allergies. Bunnies are probably lower maintenance (granted they still are a looot work). Although both are expensive, bunnies are probably cheaper, in my opinion. They are both really destructive and can be really loud as well.  This poll was so hard to choose. I love both animals so much! They are all super sweet and amazing! :D

Edited by Tangothehamster, 04 October 2018 - 11:04 PM.

#3 Pookie&Biscuit

Pookie&Biscuit

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,462 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:40 AM

I never had a bunny in my life but I'm completely set there is no possible way there is any animal that is better then a dog. For the past 2 years me and my dog have been best friends. I've saved her life and she's saved mine multiple times. She's my everything and I couldn't imagine life without her. I love her to bits. My family had five dogs and there all the most amazing creatures in the world. Of course dogs are expensive and need a lot of time. And if you can't take good care of them you really shouldn't have one. You can see a pic of a dog in my siggy below.

#4 ♥LoveAlfie♥

♥LoveAlfie♥

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 94 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 04 October 2018 - 11:49 AM

Oooh, you guys make the choice so hard!  Also, I'm not worried about the time, because my mom is a stay at home parent, and she'll probably be willing to help while I'm at school.  I haven't told my parents yet!  I'm planning on making a presentation.  And I have money saved up.  About $500 right now.  Anyways, thanks for the replies!  I'll wait for some more replies before I decide, though!

#5 beachhouse2000

beachhouse2000

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • Location:Somewhere in the milky way. ether in my fluffy coat or fluffy blanket. It's always so cold!

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 04 October 2018 - 11:51 AM

I never had a bunny in my life but I'm completely set there is no possible way there is any animal that is better then a dog. For the past 2 years me and my dog have been best friends. I've saved her life and she's saved mine multiple times. She's my everything and I couldn't imagine life without her. I love her to bits. My family had five dogs and there all the most amazing creatures in the world. Of course dogs are expensive and need a lot of time. And if you can't take good care of them you really shouldn't have one. You can see a pic of a dog in my siggy below.

i wish i could agree with this but i can't. I just feel a lot more connected to rabbits then dogs, care wise, looks wise, and the way they act, IMO not to be rude :)

#6 nebit

nebit

Angelic Ham

• Members
  • 12,248 posts
  • My Syrian(s):0

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 04 October 2018 - 11:54 AM

I can't answer this without lots more info. Both can be wonderful pets in the right home and the right situation, and both can be terrible pets in the wrong home/situation. There's a reason shelters are full of both bunnies and dogs- because they aren't right for every home. Both require specialized, time intensive, expensive care, and have lifetimes that can last a decade or longer. Both have many peculiarities that some owners will find endearing, and some can't stand. With both species, but especially so with dogs, breed also plays a huge role. A border collie would be a terrible pet for a homebound 85 year old on a limited budget who really wants a lap dog, but a toy breed might be perfect there.

The two species you've listed are also pretty different in terms of personality etc. Rabbits tend to be more independent, dogs are more likely to love on you. Rabbits tend to be house pets that might learn a trick or two, but probably aren't going to learn a whole repertoire- dogs REQUIRE extensive basic training, and there's often a possibility of doing much more with them. Dogs also require a lot more owner-directed exercise, generally outdoors. Rabbits require extensive space inside- if they aren't allowed to free range 24/7 they need a very large enclosure, like half a room or so.

I would say that I don't think either species is generally suitable for children or teens without extensive family support. First, the expenses are more than most young people can cover. A single emergency vet visit with a dog could easily cost over $1,000. Second, the lifespans of both are so long that it is 100% necessary for their to be a plan in place as far as who cares for the animal when you go to college, move out on your own for the first time etc. It can be VERY difficult to rent with dogs or free-range bunnies. Third, because of the space and care needed for both, the entire family MUST be on board, and willing to help. This means if you're not home, someone will walk the dog, or provide continuity with it's housebreaking, reinforce your training etc. This simply doesn't work if the family doesn't want the dog and want to do the work too. Same with a rabbit.

• ~Ginger~, SyrianSugar, FancyEevee21 and 2 others like this

#7 LaughyTaffy42

LaughyTaffy42

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • My Dwarf(s):1

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 04 October 2018 - 11:59 AM

Well. Thats a toughie. I'm gonna be annoying and say that for me it depends on the situation.

I love dogs because they are loyal and loving. and a million more reasons.

I've never had a bunny but they look SO cute and fluffy. They seem a bit shy though, and I'm not great at shy animals.

But heres the thing, they are like two different levels, no not levels, planes of pets.

Dogs are like having a roommate. They take a lot of care. A lot of attention and a lot of money. They can be anywhere from beginner to advanced. And its hard to tell which ones will be easy and which ones will be hard.

For example, my dog was from a good breeder in my area. (Yes, I know. I wanted to adopt but my parents only let us get a dog if we bought them.) Anyways, so we took Stella (The dog) home and all was great. Except, she was always throwing up. We went to lots of vets and eventually, AFTER 3 YEARS, we found out that she has inflammatory bowel disease. Now we have to buy her hydrolized protein dog food. I still love her so much of course.

Bunnies are like an intermediate level animal.

They are shy and need to be kept in nice enviorment that isn't too hot or cold. They still cost quite a bit of money. 

In my opinion, they just aren't comparable, ya know?

#8 LaughyTaffy42

LaughyTaffy42

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • My Dwarf(s):1

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 04 October 2018 - 12:01 PM

Oooh, you guys make the choice so hard!  Also, I'm not worried about the time, because my mom is a stay at home parent, and she'll probably be willing to help while I'm at school.  I haven't told my parents yet!  I'm planning on making a presentation.  And I have money saved up.  About $500 right now.  Anyways, thanks for the replies!  I'll wait for some more replies before I decide, though!

I hope this isn't too discouraging, but neither bunnies nor dogs are only $500. 

Dogs need lots of supplies.

So do bunnies.

If you end up asking for one, tell me what happens I'd love to know. (I have a secret project too- mice!)

#9 beachhouse2000

beachhouse2000

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • Location:Somewhere in the milky way. ether in my fluffy coat or fluffy blanket. It's always so cold!

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 04 October 2018 - 12:06 PM

So do bunnies.

If you end up asking for one, tell me what happens I'd love to know. (I have a secret project too- mice!)

lol i have a locked binder with secret projects in it i think i'm too worried about people finding out about them XD

• LaughyTaffy42 likes this

#10 Sparrow

Sparrow

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • My Dwarf(s):2

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:46 PM

I've had both- bunnies and dogs, in all honesty, I probably won't be getting another bunny ever again.

Bunnies are destructive. They need out of cage time every single day multiple times a day, for hours. You can bunny proof your house all you want, but they will still manage to destroy it. They can jump almost anywhere and they chew and scratch everything. I had to replace my blinds and curtains on regular basis, I had to baby proof sockets because the bunnies tried to chew on them. I had to replace TV wires and laptop wires many times too, which can be expensive.

One of our bunnies also decided that my phone was a toy, and so decided to play with it. It took just seconds for him to bite the screen and it breaking.

They may look cute, but even after years of taming, many still don't like cuddling or being held. It's relatively rare for rabbits in general to enjoy cuddles and its one of many reasons why a lot of people choose to rehome them. They don't intentionally attack you, they are just playful, but it hurts a lot when they scratch you. Everyone in my household has many many scars left behind after the rabbits. Even my little daughter.

One of my rabbits also killed his cage mate by accident by trying to jump up a table and accidentally kicking her in the head. Because they have to have a companion, we had to adopt another female friend for him.

They eat a lot. The food actually costs more than dog food. You have to have fresh, good quality hay in their cage at all times. You need to be able to give them A LOT of fresh veggies daily. They need to have good quality kibble and one bag lasts maybe a week if you're lucky! You also need to buy chews regularly, it takes them only a couple of days to destroy any kind of chew I give them.

You need a lot of space. What is recommended, and strongly advised, is that a big part of a room is sectioned off and dedicated to the rabbits. They need a lot of space, multiple beds, an open litter box, section with bedding, section with fleece, a read for water, area for food. Water bottles are not as good as bowls. They can damage their teeth as bunnies have tendency to bite on the glass or metal neck.

You have to be prepared to have your clothes destroyed. If you leave any piece of clothing anywhere in the same room as the bunny, they will scratch and chew on it.

Prepare yourself for the noise. They will purposely try to be loud for the fun of it. They will stop their big cute feet and they will scratch in the litter, they will throw kibble all over the place. They will bang things, they will throw things. I used to get noise complaints from my neighbours all the time.

The worst part is you don't get just one innocent looking terror in the home- you have two or more!

They are rediculously high maintainance that it's almost not worth it. And access to only one room when free roaming is not enough. They are trouble makers and will also terrorise your other pets and that includes hamsters. If you have a glass cage, expect it to get scratched. If you have a wire cage, it will get destroyed.

Never again. I tried to make it work for years, put every effort in that I could, spent hundreds on them in monthly basis, treated them with love and care. All I got from owning rabbits was a destroyed house and scars all over my body, my daughter and my soon to be husband.

A rabbit is not for everyone, but it might just be the pet for you. I just want you to have the other side of owning them, aside from the glamourised picture of a cute bunny eating a carrot.

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

P. S. if you're looking for a cuddly pet, I'd suggest either Guinea pigs or rats. Both will cuddle you for hours on end.
  • Hippophile~, Sugar Plum and Moondust Pop like this

#11 Pookie&Biscuit

Pookie&Biscuit

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,462 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 04 October 2018 - 06:34 PM

Oh I'm sorry, I nearly forgot. We have had bunnies before. It was when I was a lot younger so I completely blanked that we had owned them :) We had two bunnies. At first they lived in a fairly small cage. They completely trashed it pooping everywhere and on everything. Next we moved them to a HUGE cage letting them out everyday. They still jumped everything. We bought them loads of toys and treats. We owned them for 2 years and they never ever let us touch them, despite all the taming. Next we moved them to an outdoor hutch. If we ever let them in the house they would chew on the wood. Knock things over. Since I was still young my sister did most of the care taking. She still has the scars to show. They seemed to be eating everything and anything. Dogs are definitely still better in my opinion.

Edited by Pookie&Biscuit, 04 October 2018 - 06:37 PM.

#12 Pookie&Biscuit

Pookie&Biscuit

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,462 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 04 October 2018 - 06:39 PM

i wish i could agree with this but i can't. I just feel a lot more connected to rabbits then dogs, care wise, looks wise, and the way they act, IMO not to be rude :)

yeah we all have our different options.

#13 Chewy & Me

Chewy & Me

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 448 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:53 PM

You might be able to get a bunny in under 500$, but definitely not a dog. A dog itself can cost upwards of 300 dollars, plus a bed, food, and lots of toys, and spayed or neutured if you're doing that. Rabbits cost upwards of 30 dollars and need lots of daily hay, and should have another rabbits company . They also do good with lots of chew toys and even a digging box of hay or soil.

#14 ♥LoveAlfie♥

♥LoveAlfie♥

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 94 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:45 PM

You might be able to get a bunny in under 500$, but definitely not a dog. A dog itself can cost upwards of 300 dollars, plus a bed, food, and lots of toys, and spayed or neutured if you're doing that. Rabbits cost upwards of 30 dollars and need lots of daily hay, and should have another rabbits company . They also do good with lots of chew toys and even a digging box of hay or soil.

Yes, I know.  For a dog, I'll pay for most of the one time costs, but my parents will pay for the on going costs.

I've had both- bunnies and dogs, in all honesty, I probably won't be getting another bunny ever again.

Bunnies are destructive. They need out of cage time every single day multiple times a day, for hours. You can bunny proof your house all you want, but they will still manage to destroy it. They can jump almost anywhere and they chew and scratch everything. I had to replace my blinds and curtains on regular basis, I had to baby proof sockets because the bunnies tried to chew on them. I had to replace TV wires and laptop wires many times too, which can be expensive.

One of our bunnies also decided that my phone was a toy, and so decided to play with it. It took just seconds for him to bite the screen and it breaking.

They may look cute, but even after years of taming, many still don't like cuddling or being held. It's relatively rare for rabbits in general to enjoy cuddles and its one of many reasons why a lot of people choose to rehome them. They don't intentionally attack you, they are just playful, but it hurts a lot when they scratch you. Everyone in my household has many many scars left behind after the rabbits. Even my little daughter.

One of my rabbits also killed his cage mate by accident by trying to jump up a table and accidentally kicking her in the head. Because they have to have a companion, we had to adopt another female friend for him.

They eat a lot. The food actually costs more than dog food. You have to have fresh, good quality hay in their cage at all times. You need to be able to give them A LOT of fresh veggies daily. They need to have good quality kibble and one bag lasts maybe a week if you're lucky! You also need to buy chews regularly, it takes them only a couple of days to destroy any kind of chew I give them.

You need a lot of space. What is recommended, and strongly advised, is that a big part of a room is sectioned off and dedicated to the rabbits. They need a lot of space, multiple beds, an open litter box, section with bedding, section with fleece, a read for water, area for food. Water bottles are not as good as bowls. They can damage their teeth as bunnies have tendency to bite on the glass or metal neck.

You have to be prepared to have your clothes destroyed. If you leave any piece of clothing anywhere in the same room as the bunny, they will scratch and chew on it.

Prepare yourself for the noise. They will purposely try to be loud for the fun of it. They will stop their big cute feet and they will scratch in the litter, they will throw kibble all over the place. They will bang things, they will throw things. I used to get noise complaints from my neighbours all the time.

The worst part is you don't get just one innocent looking terror in the home- you have two or more!

They are rediculously high maintainance that it's almost not worth it. And access to only one room when free roaming is not enough. They are trouble makers and will also terrorise your other pets and that includes hamsters. If you have a glass cage, expect it to get scratched. If you have a wire cage, it will get destroyed.

Never again. I tried to make it work for years, put every effort in that I could, spent hundreds on them in monthly basis, treated them with love and care. All I got from owning rabbits was a destroyed house and scars all over my body, my daughter and my soon to be husband.

A rabbit is not for everyone, but it might just be the pet for you. I just want you to have the other side of owning them, aside from the glamourised picture of a cute bunny eating a carrot.

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

P. S. if you're looking for a cuddly pet, I'd suggest either Guinea pigs or rats. Both will cuddle you for hours on end.

Yikes!  I knew that bunnies were destructive, but that is way more destructive than I thought!  My mom doesn't like rats cause of their tails.  And I don't really want a guinea pig.

So do bunnies.

Bunnies and dogs are definitely not $500!  But I'm still saving up.  By next summer I'll have over $800, which I know still isn't enough, but my parents will help!

#15 Chewy & Me

Chewy & Me

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 448 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:57 PM

Over the course of their life it will definitely be over 500. My dog herself cost 500, let alone all the supplies. My bunny only cost 15 because they were selling her for meat, but with all the hay, pellets, and the housing it can be costly