Photo

bleeding from the private area

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 lissad61

lissad61

Baby Hamster

• 12 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:43 AM

on thursday i noticed re-run had some blood from her private area. upon further inspection, i noticed it was coming from her vagina and not her anus.

she is taking antibiotics now and i've been giving her some yogurt everyday along with a little food. she eats it right up and has the same amount of energy as before.

i've been giving her her medicine everyday as well as cleaning that area a little. she's been fine everyday and it seemed like the infection was clearing up. then tonight when i cleaned that area, she was a lot fussier. then i noticed that there was really dark red blood coming out. :(

i called the emergency vet and they told me that normally with a urinary tract infection the blood isn't dark red but to wait until the morning to call my normal vet.

i read all the info posted here about this sort of thing so i'm worried she could have a cyst or something worse. i don't know what to do for her. :'(

Edited by lissad61, 17 February 2005 - 09:43 AM.

#2 Cheeky

Cheeky

Action Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 5,348 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:01 AM

How old is she? You use Carefresh right?

#3 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,821 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:08 AM

lissad61:: first i would say that if it were a simple urinary tract infection, the yogurt/antibiotic combination (what was the name of the medicine :scratchchin: ) should've taken care of the problem in this amount of time.

have you noticed any bloating in her lower body? lots of times when there's cystic activity, you'll see their lower bodies bloat up.

unless a lump of some kind can be felt by palpation (when an experienced vets feels around the outside of the body to see if something is going wrong inside) then the only way to be able to say it definitely is a tumor or cyst is with an ultrasound. but these are expensive, depending on where you go to have this done.

my monique, a campbells, had to have a hysterectomy a year ago because of a prolapsed uterus. so surgery can be done if the need is there; it would be better though if removal of her uterus wasn't done without seeing whether there was a cyst that could be removed and biopsied first. it could very well be benign, and a hysterectomy wouldn't be necessary.

right now all you can do is keep her clean and comfortable, and make sure she stays warm. has the bleeding stopped? but definitely get her to your vet tomorrow.

#4 lissad61

lissad61

Baby Hamster

• 12 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:08 AM

i'm not sure of her exact age. someone surrendered her at the animal control my girlfriend works at so we took her home. we think she was about 6 months when we brought her home and we've had her for at least a year now.

yep -- we use carefresh.

#5 lissad61

lissad61

Baby Hamster

• 12 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:21 AM

missPixy: i just checked to see if she was bloated. i also felt around in the area a bit and it does feel like a little lump but of course i'm not 100% sure. when i pressed on it gently, i can't tell if it was pus that came out or if she urinated. it was just a bit thick and yellow. :(

i'm going to take her to the vet tomorrow. i'm just so upset b/c now i wonder if the vet didn't know what she was doing. i know i don't know everything there is to know about hamsters either but they're supposed to be the experts, ya know?

Edited by lissad61, 17 February 2005 - 11:26 AM.

#6 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,821 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:34 AM

:worried: you'll find that even vets who have experience with rodents still don't have as much knowledge as your typical cat or dog vet. only because most ppl are more willing to spend the $ to have "heroic" medical measures performed on their animal, while most ppl who have hamsters don't want to spend the $. so the vet can only be experienced in so much. my own vet has actually thanked me more than once for letting her learn so much abt hamsters (because she's operated on 4 of my dwarfs).

the yellow stuff sounded like urine... but that doesn't mean she doesn't have a cyst possibly in her urinary tract, either.

just remember that hamsters can survive surgery if certain safeguards are followed. i mentioned i had the hamsters who've undergone surgery, and they all came out great.

#7 lissad61

lissad61

Baby Hamster

• 12 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:40 AM

missPixy: thank you for all your help. i'm not surprised that you helped your vet out. i don't post her much but i do read many of the posts and you are so knowledgeable.

i thought it was probably urine but since it was so thick and that it came out when i touched the spot, it freaked me out.

thanks again for all your help. i will be sure to mention what you said to the vet tomorrow.